Parents Can't a girl catch a break?? (Long)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sheplaysinthechalk

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
...and I don't mean a break in one of her bones! I mean just a break.

My 9 year old dd has had one heck of a season - and not in a "good" way. Let's take a look back, starting last August:

August 2012: dd caught a nasty case of the stomach flu. Ended up seriously dehydrated which caused a nasty uti and kidney infection. She was in the hospital for 7 days.

September 2012: Three weeks after returning to regular training after being sick and in the hospital, dd rolls her ankle/foot AFTER practice on the way out the door. It didn't really swell or anything so we just rested it for a few days. She went back to training for another week, but was still complaining of pain so I made an appointment with the orthopedic dr. He did an X-ray. Found an avulsion fracture where the peroneal tendon pulled a small piece of bone away from the 5th metatarsal. She was in a cast for 4 weeks and a tall boot for an additional 3 weeks after that. She missed the entire first half of her competitive tumbling season and all but one of her level 5 gymnastics meets due to this injury.

December 2012: dd turns 9 and is FINALLY cleared to start training tumbling again. At this point, she is able to start back training fulls, reversals, barani's...and the occasional up-training of double fulls...we're thinking she's back on track and should be ready to compete in march to qualify for state in April. We had 4 months, right??

February 2013: dd is looking really awesome with tumbling and is starting to learn new stuff in artistic like bhs on beam, roundoff back tuck dismount off beam, free hip circles, giant swings (ugly, but coming along)...coach calls her over to train tumbling passes for upcoming meet. She hyperextends her elbow. Take her to the dr. It's a Salter-Harris fracture. She goes in a cast for 2 weeks. They take the cast off. Another week goes by. She is still having pain with flexion. They see her back and decide to cast for another 2 weeks. She ends up "touching" (doing a forward roll) at a tumbling meet so that she can get a "score" so that she would be eligible to compete at state this April. This is her first year competing Advanced power tumbling and she wants to go to state more than anything right now. She has been state champion the last 4 years in a row.

March 2013: the cast comes off for good! She is a little weak from being in the cast, but has no pain!! First day back at gymnastics, I pick her up. She is STARVING and wants to go to Subway. When we get there, she shuts her finger in the car door. I have to open the car door to get her finger out. It looks pretty nasty, so I take her to ER. Hairline fracture. Out of tumbling and gymnastics for ANOTHER 2 weeks. Returns to training last week in march.

April 2013: Second day back to it, dd starts complaining of heel pain. She complained 4 more days after training so I started icing them and giving her ibuprofen. Today, she wakes up at 2am complaining that she feels like her Achilles tendons are cramping up an it's killing her to walk. I got out the heating pad, which seemed to help. Made an appointment with the Dr....AGAIN. I can only assume that this is like achilles tendonitis or Severs or something and can only predict MORE time away from gymnastics and tumbling for her. She has her State tumbling meet this weekend, (which i assume she will have to sit out of)...

I am probably a horrible parent for this, but I really wanted dd to be able to compete at state because she wants to SOOO bad. It's all she talks about. She has a pretty solid pain tolerance, so I know when she is telling me that something hurts, it's REALLY bothering her. I was going to put off taking her to the dr for the heel pain until after state, but I just can't. I can't stand it that she hurts, but I can't stand it to have to see her sitting out AGAIN. ***sigh***

She sure has not caught a break, has she?? Have you ever had her vitamin D levels checked? With the number of injuries she has had, I would see if her levels are low, with low Vit D levels comes more injuries. Just something to rule out and if it is low, it's an easy fix.

I havent, but am not against it...it didn't really cross my mind that it could be something nutritional since she takes a multi vitamin and eats all kinds of stuff. She's my kid who isn't a picky eater :) I honestly just think she's had really crappy luck lately :/

Some kids just get everything. Your daughter sounds like my eldest DD, anything that could go wrong did. You have my sympathies.

Your daughter sounds very talented - I'm sorry she's had such a rough year! Is tumbling harder on their bodies than regular artistic gymnastics? I completely understand your dilemma of wanting her to go to States, but after all her injuries I'd be hesitant to let her compete if she's not feeling up to it for fear of more long-term injuries. Maybe best to let her rest and get ready for next season?

Your daughter sounds very talented - I'm sorry she's had such a rough year! Is tumbling harder on their bodies than regular artistic gymnastics? I completely understand your dilemma of wanting her to go to States, but after all her injuries I'd be hesitant to let her compete if she's not feeling up to it for fear of more long-term injuries. Maybe best to let her rest and get ready for next season?

Have to agree. It would be hard for me too, but it seems like trying tp push to go to states might just hurt her more. It seems like her mind also needs a break from trying to get back into it. She probably has been anxious and disappointed this season with all of the set backs. I find that people are emotionally or mentally taxed in this way, they become more prone to accidents, being careless, etc. So if she just gest some time to not think about trying to get back into the gym, it might do her good. Start up again in the summer. Good luck to her!!

Poor kid! She really can't catch a break (or she's catching too many). Hope this latest pain isn't serious.

I will be sending positive thoughts her way!!!!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Injuries are so hard and seem to come in waves. I wish her the best and stay strong!

WOW! That is a tough year! Hopefully she has all of them done and over with for a very long time to come!

Well, took dd to the dr about her heels. He checked her out and did some X-rays. It's Sever's. Hopefully we can get it under control. He said she can go ahead and compete this weekend as long as she can tolerate the pain, but should start to take it easy afterward.

I recommend icing! My daughter had sever's too and used to ice twice a day--and by ice, I mean the foot fully submerged in ice water. Works much better than the ice pack on it.

I recommend icing! My daughter had sever's too and used to ice twice a day--and by ice, I mean the foot fully submerged in ice water. Works much better than the ice pack on it.

Yep :) that's exactly what the dr said! Ice bath her from her feet to her knees 2-3 times a day + Motrin + topical anti inflammatory. Heel cups for her shoes and try the cheetah cups for workouts.

I know it sounds impossible, but my dd had a similarly crappy season. Two fractured feet, mono, sinus surgery, fluid on the knee and chronic ankle inflation. I feel your pain. Mine competed three meets. Qualified for states but missed states and regionals due to mono.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back