Parents Can't get my gymnast to watch gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

When I was a little gym tot I lived for watching gymnastics (though in pre-internet, basic cable times that was pretty limited still), but once I was in the gym 20+ hours, I stopped wanting to watch. And I was a stubborn teenager (most are), so if a parent had tried to push me to watch I'm absolutely sure that would have just exacerbated that. I know you're telling her it's just for fun, but let's face it-the fact that you're pushing (no matter how gently) and frustrated enough to post here about it suggests otherwise, and she's perceptive enough to know that. The biggest thing she could get from watching gymnastics on TV (especially college gym) would be related to the atmosphere and excitement, and that's not effective if she feels like she's being coerced into watching. Let it go. She knows how to turn on the TV and find competitions on line if she's interested.

It took a few years after I "retired" for me to want to watch much gymnastics, and now 15 years later I follow the sport FAR more closely than I ever did as a gymnast. I don't think that's terribly uncommon, or necessarily a bad thing.

One of my daughters loves watching gym with me... she cuddles up on the couch with me to watch Friday Night Heights, etc. The other one will watch for a few minutes, then play on her phone or go up to her room for some down time. Different kids, different likes, different gymnasts, different people! :) I have no problem with that. I put it on because I like to watch, and they are welcome to watch it with me or they can go to another room. They both spend so much time at the gym and they are both really good students and are good about helping around the house and doing chores, so their (limited) free time is theirs to do with what they wish.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back