cartwheel help (4 y.o)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

guest301

son started learning cartwheels lately. At his gym coaches dont really help them - just letting them jumpo over the mat. Then I am wondering how are they going to learn it?
Shell i help him at home?
If so:
1. Should I support him by holding him a bit?
2. SHould i let him practice at home by himself?
3. How soon did your kid learned that?
4. WHat is the best way to learn cartwheel?
5. How long a day should we practice?

so many questions...

PS we have that cartwheel mat by the way....

Yes, he can practice it on his own. I wouldn't try to coach; I think the thing you can most to do encourage the skill to come out is to vow that you are going to go out any time the weather is nice and the grass is new mown and throw some yourself. Or any other appropriate time and place.

DS could do them at 2.5 but that's on the very early end. DD, well, it is such a gradual process that it's hard to say when she could do one. She can definitely do one at age 6 but it's not "natural" yet. She can do much more difficult things in other areas but has a hard time with this.

If you want to bring it along faster, you might look into a tumbling class, perhaps out of a cheer gym. They bring the 4yos along fast in those places. Then his gym coaches can just make it pretty.

"jumping over a mat" is an important lead up. They need to understand lateral movement and stepping down one foot at a time. I don't teach "cartwheel" to preschoolers until they can do the cartwheel jump over a mat and land one foot at a time. trying to pull them all the way up and over in the CW can lead to the collapsing, head is relatively heavy, shoulders not stable. Do not need to coach him at home. This is for fun and fitness at this age and level.

thank you! His 2 feet landing over the mat is 1 by 1... but parallel to the floor... i just cant wait for him to learn cartwheel... Yeah i know i am being impetient...

The mat drill is also the least scary way (I think) for preschoolers to experiment with getting their hips over their shoulders for the cartwheel. They are in total control of how vertical they get and how much weight they're bearing. I love that drill so much I use it for all beginners new to a cartwheel. It's great for the reasons Gymdog listed as well. Spotting a small child is so easy that it's possible to scare them. Until they grasp the concept of 1 foot at a time landing, play with the differences of body alignment over the mat, and have some comfort with weight bearing, I generally don't spot them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back