Parents Cartwheel Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

avonlea

Proud Parent
My 5-year-old daughter has taken tumbling for a year now. She learned how to do a right-handed cartwheel and a one-handed cartwheel on her right side as well. I just found out that she needs to learn how to do a left-handed cartwheel for a dance audition in the fall (her dance studio is completely separate from the tumbling program and doesn't teach tumbling skills.) She's started trying them at home, and it's been a challenge. Is it a similar process to learn how to do a cartwheel with your non-dominant hand/foot or is it something that needs a different set of instruction?

It’s exactly the same. It just takes twice as long to ignore how weird it feels.... and it can take longer still for it to look not messy.

The only tip I have is to remember that your back turns towards the first hand that goes down.

Granted, that is a tip to me, but to some others it could be hopelessly confusing.

It’s me again. My daughter’s left side cartwheels are still not up to where they need to be. It’s not a lack of practice and sometimes they are better than other times, but the linked video is an example of the struggles she has:

Left side cartwheel

Here is her right side cartwheel in contrast:
Right side cartwheel

Any insights would be appreciated!

This is good for a 5 year old. Not sure what else they could be expecting.

However, it is usually better to start in and X and do a side cartwheel back and forth. She should start and finish in the X then go back the other way. She should aim to stay in the bounds of the rectangle of the yoga mat. The full side cartwheels in bounds require the hips to stay straighter. It is also confusing directionally for a young child to do lunge to lunge on both sides at first. Side to side going back and forth they will look at the same things but just change direction so it gives them a way to orient themselves visually.

Thanks for your help @gymdog She had her audition and made it! She said she landed both cartwheels and felt confident, so I was glad to have your insight that they looked pretty good so we didn’t stress or overwork them before her audition.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back