Cartwheel/walkover element

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey, random question here. Just wondering what the official name of that nasty move on floor, where you start off doing a cartwheel, but as you get your legs to vertical, you rotate your hips so you finish with a front-walkover?

I used to know it, but my mind's hitting blank for a couple days!

Ps: I'm pretty sure its some other language or someone's last name.

Thanks
progress.gif
http://www.gymnasticsforums.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=365

Tokatina? I'm pretty sure that's right, but now I'm questioning myself... It's been a long time.

Why do most gyms not even teach the tinsica anymore?? I learned how to do one in my middle school gymnastics class back in '77ish and I haven't seen any gyms really teach them anymore.

Lannamavity--you said they are a great tool for round-offs--what is the logic between the connection of the two skills? In round-offs you land facing backwards and tinsicas you face forwards? Just a little confused!

Why do most gyms not even teach the tinsica anymore?? I learned how to do one in my middle school gymnastics class back in '77ish and I haven't seen any gyms really teach them anymore.

Lannamavity--you said they are a great tool for round-offs--what is the logic between the connection of the two skills? In round-offs you land facing backwards and tinsicas you face forwards? Just a little confused!

The entry to a tinsica imitates the staggered arm position of a roundoff on floor, or a tsukahara on vault without the turning action of the actual roundoff or tsuk.

No one really does a "perfect roundoff", which is why they need to be learned and re-learned over and over again throughout a gymnast's career. More often than not, the problem is the "early turn", which leads to a diving action onto the hands, which actually slows the roundoff down and kills rotation.

In order for a gymnast to fully utilize the forward momentum into the roundoff, the later that turn happens, the better...and a tinsica has minimal turn, so we have our kids do tinsica/handstand forward rolls to maximize stretch onto the hands and push through the second arm, and tinsicas to side position which simulates a roundoff without the second 1/4 of the turn. It really seems to help when the kids return to regular roundoffs.

We don't really use the 70s version with the front walkover finish, but I guess it still is an element in the code.

The entry to a tinsica imitates the staggered arm position of a roundoff on floor, or a tsukahara on vault without the turning action of the actual roundoff or tsuk.

No one really does a "perfect roundoff", which is why they need to be learned and re-learned over and over again throughout a gymnast's career. More often than not, the problem is the "early turn", which leads to a diving action onto the hands, which actually slows the roundoff down and kills rotation.

In order for a gymnast to fully utilize the forward momentum into the roundoff, the later that turn happens, the better...and a tinsica has minimal turn, so we have our kids do tinsica/handstand forward rolls to maximize stretch onto the hands and push through the second arm, and tinsicas to side position which simulates a roundoff without the second 1/4 of the turn. It really seems to help when the kids return to regular roundoffs.

We don't really use the 70s version with the front walkover finish, but I guess it still is an element in the code.

Hmmm interesting, I see where you're going with that. I was imagining more of the full front walkover thing and I guess I just feel like for some of the kids I'm trying to fix RO with, they just don't have the flexibility to pull that off (I mean would it be bad if I said I feel like I don't have the flexibility to pull that off? :eek:). It would make them get their chest up...either abandon ship or sink on that one. I do cartwheel step ins a lot with the problematic roundoff set for some of the same reasons.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back