Cast Handstand and Free-Hip HELP!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I dont know why i cant get a good cast handstand. I cast as high as i can and try to stay hollow, i just dont know whats wrong. As for my free-hip, it is good but my coach doesnt think so. HEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bars:

If you're trying to stay hollow, then you're probably not driving your heels. I hate when kids are too hollow on casts because they'll have a hard time getting higher than horizontal-- there needs to be a tight arch on the way up before you hollow. As far as clear hips, I do clear hip hands from a cast horizontal, and the key for me is to push back immediately after the cast and drop toward my knees. Once you have a strong drop, the rest of it feels like a back extension roll (so being able to do those with a good body position with straight arms helps, too).

You have to be willing to not just drop, but pull yourself down in the initiating part of the clear hip. Those shoulders need to actually push from being in front of the bar to being slightly behind the bar. This is what helps the speed into the drop to accelerate the free hip.

Free hips: drop your chest/shoulders back HARD as you come down. Don't wait for your swing to do the work; right as you pass horizontal on the way down, crank your chest back as hard as you can. As your toes come up and over the bar, aggressively open your shoulders to full extension, the goal being handstand.

As for cast handstands, I've posted plenty about them already, and much of what I would have to say on the subject is very heavily disputed by many other coaches.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back