WAG Cast handstand, and giants help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello! So currently at the moment I'm suppose to compete level 6, which isn't bad but the only thing keeping me from going to Level 7 is my cast handstand and giants on bars. Whenever I try my cast handstand I "lock" my shoulders so that I can't get all the way to handstand, not to mention that I have to do a straddle cast. Any tips to help me cast higher, and how to get my butt up?
Now for my giants, I think the main thing that's keeping me from going over is that I have to go through a handstand. I've never done a giant before (not even on straps- the one day I wanted too, and was going too, my coach wouldn't help me/push me over).

Now for my giants, I think the main thing that's keeping me from going over is that I have to go through a handstand. I've never done a giant before (not even on straps- the one day I wanted too, and was going too, my coach wouldn't help me/push me over).

It's better to leave your giants questions for your coach. I'd be surprised if the coach doesn't have a good reason for for not pushing when you're in straps. I'll tell you this much about giants........ In general the "big mistake" is thinking about making the upward swing go to a handstand. The problem with this is a handstand is a pretty difficult thing to swing to, but it's pretty easy to swing past the handstand by concentrating on the toes/feet lead the way.

The cast handstand seems to be all on you, as it sound like you're doing the same thing over and over again. You gotta make changes if you want to progress, so try changing by maintaining a very slight shoulder angle as your rounded hips (not arched in your lower back) are eleveating during your straddle.

Good luck

For cast handstands, do a lot of press to handstands to feel the shoulder angle needed to make the handstand. If you can press to handstand, a cast handstand isn't difficult. If you aren't used to the angles, they are scary. You can also do donkey kicks to handstand to feel the shoulders, hips, feet timing and angles.
I'm not sure you're far enough along on the giants for us to be of any help yet.

Thanks for all the help with the cast handstand!!! But for my giants, my other coach was kind of lazy and usually sat around all practice doing nothing, while my new coach whenever she comes around to help me over, I freak, and kill my swing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back