Cast handstand connected to giants on strap bar! - And a QUESTION?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Canadian_gym_mom

Proud Parent
DD did this last night!! I posted a little while back that she was scared of going over on the giants. Well the coach had her start with tuck giants, then raised the bar but still let her do them in tuck, then had her work on them with a tuck and straightening her legs at the bottom, then she did them just striaght legs.

So for the last couple of classes she was trying them from a regular cast off the bar and chickening out, then all of a sudden she tried from a cast handstand and they just came together! She was so surprised the first time she sort of freaked out a bit, but then did them over and over.

So the coach came and told me and I said that I had seen it. We chatted a bit and I asked her how long before she would do them on the regular bar. She sort of looked at me and laughed and said that first they have to perfect her form on the strap bar, so maybe 4-5 months!

It just reassures me that this gym isn't about pushing them into skills they aren't ready for.

But can I ask here... does this seem like a realistic time frame, or does it completely vary by gymnast?

Thanks for letting me brag!

Great, and fun skill. That is a very realistic time frame for most gymnasts. Of course some click faster and others take way longer (or never get them on the bars at all). Getting the skill is the first step, having the right shape for giants is very important and that can take a long time, and you can only spend so much time whipping around the bar each practice.

Sounds like she is doing wonderfully. It is good to remember that the further along in gymnastics they go the longer skills take to learn. The kip is the first one that trips people up, the top coaches talk about working some skills for a year before they are comp ready.

So true, Bog! Our current L6s have been working on the strap bar off and on doing tucked giants and gradually working toward straightening them out now for a year or so (on when there aren't any meets close on the calendar, off when there are). After their most recent meet, they had a bit more than a one-month break, so the first practice afterward, their bars coach said, "OK, girls, today we're doing giants on the REAL bar!" He spotted (heavily) all of them for a couple. You never saw such a delighted group of girls in your life. He's really working on shaping, not looking ahead to just being able to turn them for L7, but rather making them good enough to be foundations for higher level skills.

As for whipping around the bar each practice, you're talking to the mother of our gym's current sole circle record holder, ugh.

Congrats, CGM -- your daughter must be rightfully pleased with herself! My favorite part of this sport is seeing them so thrilled when they get something for the first time.

My DD is still working giants on the strap. She has been working them since summer and is still not quite ready to take them to the regular bar. So I would say that the time frame you have been given is pretty accurate!

Congrats to your dd!!! That is awesome, and a big accomplishment :)

I really don't think that there's a set time frame. I've seen one kid move it over after only a month, and another take more than a year. Every kid is different.... sorry, not much help here

My dd has hadgood form giants on strap for a few months but is scared to try it on a regular bar, even pit bar. Afraid of the wrist shifts. Not sure why b/c she has a good 3/4 giant and clear hip. But we are heading into meet season so she will likely stay on strap until late spring then work on reg bar.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Congrats! As to the time frame... I got my giants on straps in 3 practices but it took over a year before they were consistent on the real bar. Most girls at my gym get them faster though. It got really frusterating at times, but now giants are one of my favorite skills!

Thanks everyone!! I know every gymnast progresses at a different rate, I was just checking if this was an accurate estimate from the coach, and it seems that it was. I appreciate all of your input.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back