Cast to handstand tips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hi guys!

okay so i have a problem :( Im getting good height on my cast to handstands. but i cannot get into the actual handstand position. Its as if im afraid to have my shoulders forward too much then when I cast I will fall forward.. its weird.. any help!?!
thankss!

Great to know that I am not the only one working on cast handstands! One of the girls on our team's mom used to be an elite judge and she came in and gave us tips. I know that she told me that a cast handstand is part cast and part keeping your shoulders forward. I know that it is scary trying to keep your shoulders forward but it really works. She also told me not to give up in the middle of the handstand. Hope that helps!

Try casting over the bar on purpose--hitting or even just passing handstand as you go over. Then, work on figuring out how far you need to lean over the bar to stop in handstand. Good luck! Don't get too frustrated and keep trying.

okayy, so maybe i need more practice on this skill hahah , ahh im soo determined to get it. thats why i love a challenge...i get good height but Im trying to straighten my handstand to early, like way before im in handstand over the bar.. and the shoulders forward thing, should i have them over the whole time and just drive my heels up as far as they go, and THEN straighten to handstand orr..
hahah im sorry :( i want this skill badly, so i can do my kip cast to handstand for my routine. Oh also, is itbetter to try it from cast right away, or do a small cast then into handstand??
thhankks :)

Me again. I am so much better at showing than explaining, lol. What the judge/mom told me is that the shoulders should "lock" in with the body or vice versa. Cast handstand is one part cast and the other part keeping shoulders forward. You need to have a really strong cast and try not to quit in the middle of the cast. Hope that helps in any way.

okayy, so maybe i need more practice on this skill hahah , ahh im soo determined to get it. thats why i love a challenge...i get good height but Im trying to straighten my handstand to early, like way before im in handstand over the bar.. and the shoulders forward thing, should i have them over the whole time and just drive my heels up as far as they go, and THEN straighten to handstand orr..
hahah im sorry :( i want this skill badly, so i can do my kip cast to handstand for my routine. Oh also, is itbetter to try it from cast right away, or do a small cast then into handstand??
thhankks :)
I would say you should work them without the extra cast because it won't let you develop any bad habits.
You could try a drill that our coach had us do when we were first learning casting to handstand. Set up a floor bar in front of a small spotting block and with your hands on the bar, try to seal up to handstand while leaning your shoulders over.
I hope this helps!

You want your shoulders over the bar the whole time. Once you're almost to a handstand, you can "block out" (what my gym calls it) and push your shoulders back to being just over your hands. Your shoulders should never go behind your hands, though. Are you trying to learn a straight body or straddle cast?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back