WAG Central NJ gym Recommendations

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Eileen Erb

Proud Parent
We are moving from NV to NJ this summer and looking for a gym for our 12 yo (13 in April) current level 9. She will be level 10 next year...considering a homeschool program so any info about that (pros and cons) would be appreciated!

Paramount Gymnastics is a great gym, not sure if that is too long of a commute. Awesome facility though. Sunburst Gymnastics is another good one. They dont have as many lvl 9's though.

What part of central NJ are you moving? How far are you willing to travel to the gym? There are a number of programs with very successful level 9/10s.

We are going to be living in Flemington....I guess travel time will depend upon the program, but probably not more than an hour...hoping to get into a carpool too!

We are going to be living in Flemington....I guess travel time will depend upon the program, but probably not more than an hour...hoping to get into a carpool too!

It sounds like your DD is young and very talented. To start, you may want to reach out to the following programs that have successful 9/10s, homeschoolers, and are a somewhat reasonable distance from that area.

1. North Stars, Boonton, NJ.

2. Arena (Gymland), Hamilton, NJ.

3. Parkettes, Allentown, NJ

Also check out level 10 States 2016 results @ www.usagnj.com.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

It sounds like your DD is young and very talented. To start, you may want to reach out to the following programs that have successful 9/10s, homeschoolers, and are a somewhat reasonable distance from that area.

Isn't Parkette's in Pennsylvania?

Also, I don't know if the location is good for you but Laurie Hernandez' gym, Monmouth is in New Jersey

I would add MG Elite (Monmouth Gymnastics), Head over Heels, Atlantic Coast, and ENA to your list. Look into PA gyms too, there might be some very close to you since you are near the boarder.

Definitely check out MGA (Monmouth Gymnastics Academy)! It would be a farther drive but they have a great homeschool program and I love the environment! I'm personally on the USAIGC team but I do have friends on the USAG team and they all love it.

Boonton is a bit of a distance from Flemington and I-287 can get busy at certain times of day.

OP...is living in Flemington a necessity?

My aunt lives in Flemington! We will be visiting in April en route to Myrtle Beach. It's a beautiful area :)

parkettes is 1 hr west-ish and MG elite is 1 hr east-ish.

If those are the two you narrow it down to, I'd choose MG elite. The atmosphere is very kind, yet firm. They are very welcoming. We considered moving to central NJ for our jobs and my kid went to spend a day with the lvl 4's. When I called to arrange it, Maggie Haney called me back herself, gave me her cell #, and was super warm. Even though we hadn't even decided to move yet (and later ended up not moving), the lvl 4 coach was really hands on with my DD and gave her and me excellent feedback. When we called to let them know that we had decided not to move for the moment, but still might in another year or so, Maggie passed my message on to the lvl 4 coach who then took the time to call me and wish us luck and welcome us back for an official try out if we made a move later on.

Our gym is not elite and would never take the time to do this. The kindness was overwhelming. seriously.

That said, I don't know much about Parkettes except stories from the 80's by Jennifer Sey and that horrible documentary "Finding the perfect Parkette" both of which really disturbed me!

I feel like before I get fried, I should say that I've never been to Parkettes! That video and book just really took me aback. I do realize that both are from a good while ago and that there may be some media flare involved and that obviously the gym has turned out some stellar athletes!

I feel like before I get fried, I should say that I've never been to Parkettes! That video and book just really took me aback. I do realize that both are from a good while ago and that there may be some media flare involved and that obviously the gym has turned out some stellar athletes!

I have never coached or been a gymnast at Parkettes, but I do know that several of their former athletes (one of which I believe was in the CNN documentary) now coach at the gym. I think that speaks a lot to how much media flare was involved in some cases ;)

Parkettes is fine too. There are a lot of good gyms in the area, they've all pretty much been named. At your daughters stage in gymnastics you really should investigate all of them before making a decision. And just a note that MG doesn't take everyone, although I would think at your daughter's age/level she has a decent chance. Whereas most of the other gyms mentioned here there won't be a question at all because they have lots of groups and coaches. But I would definitely still look into it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back