Parents Chalk bucket or the News??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

caligymdad

Proud Parent
I would love to see more positive threads on here. It seems that many of the posts are about bad news, unhappy situations, or injuries......... Like our nightly news........

I would like to share that I am HAPPY to have survived the big move over the last 7 months. My DD went from summer TOP's state testing, level 5 compulsory, TOP's national testing, level 5 states then right into level 7 optional season, states, and regionals. Been a challenge but DD is happy, we are happy, we have a good line of communication with DD's coaches and are optimistic about her future. I understand that this isn't the case with many of you out there but I just wanted to let folks know that it isn't all bad out here in the gymnastics world. That is all. Take care and God bless!!!

Congrats on your daughter. Currently going through some of what you just went through this past year so I appreciate the accomplishments.

Personally, I like Chalkbucket as a resource to learn what I don't know (alot) and share what I do know (not so much) with others. It's great when folks post good news and share their child's accomplishments and share videos of routines. And it's good to know there is an understanding community of folks who can help or sympathize when the news is not so good. I prefer to be a bit more modest (& superstitious) about sharing my daughter's accomplishments (& pitfalls) here. Just me.

Last edited:
I am always afraid that if I post something like "OMG, DD/DS just got her/his xxx!", s/he will lose it the next day and it won't come back for a year. What I can say is that both are happy to be working on new skills, and we are facing no level drama for next season, as both know where they'll be. Both are also relatively healthy and have no acute injuries. I think that counts as good news.

If DS actually does manage to get one of this summer's insane "Moby Dick" skills, I will post a video. The list is long, people, long indeed.

My mother had an expression.... Don't spit in the air..............

Add in the any given Sunday thing..............

She is doing good. Some skills better then others, Some meets better then others and those meets are in the rearview mirror.

I do like to see whats up ahead and I get that here, saving a ton of time trying to talk to our coaches. And getting an idea of what to ask my kid, so she might actually share some information.

Last night she tried very hard to break down vaulting to me. And she ended up rolling her eyes as usual. I just don't think I will ever get it. o_O

You know, this thread made me curious, so I poked around and finally found this old thread that I posted back in early 2013: https://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/threads/when-to-encourage-transition-out.39961/
https://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/threads/when-to-encourage-transition-out.39961/
She hasn't moved up the levels much since then -- I don't think she'll get beyond L8 -- but she is still a happy, engaged gymnast who continues to learn new skills. I'm glad I listened to all the wise advice I got back then, and that she was just too damn stubborn to walk away. She may decide to move to Xcel at some point, but she loves the sport for the sport and for the things her strong, capable body can do. It's an immeasurable gift for her.

People used to be a lot more open with their children's achievements, but after we started the private social groups, then dealt with a seriously awful cat fishing issue, people are less inclined to publicly share.

Last edited:
People used to be a lot more open with their children's achievements, but fatter we started the private social groups, then dealt with a seriously awful cat fishing issue, people are less inclined to publicly share.

I had forgotten about that but yes....I like to keep it close to the vest and pretty general, if you don't know me...

Some happy news..DD, 11, was scared to even try RO on beam..coach forced her Tuesday. Got on low & junior beam.

Had practice again yesterday and stuck on high beam. DD says it is like cake walk and coach says she it is good enough to compete...

Now she gets to work back handsprings on low beam and is hoping to get handstand on bars by end of april (bars was her nemesis in lvl 6 this past season)

There have been times that I've wanted to participate more, and share successes and ask for advice (we dealt with a rough few months of injury last year), but I'm paranoid that it would be too easy for folks at the gym, or people I know to figure out who my daughter is if I share those details. For a time, we were weighing the idea of changing gyms (may come back up in a couple weeks), and not being anonymous would make me worried to post about that as well. So for now, I just soak up the advice and stories of others until I get braver (or figure out a way to "anonymize" stories and questions). :)

My son was able to conquer his fears on high bar and parallel bars this season and meet the goals he set for himself at the beginning of the season. He made the regional elite team and he comes home happy every day telling me about the "good" things he did in practice. He has much more confidence and he is having fun!

I would love to see more positive threads on here. It seems that many of the posts are about bad news, unhappy situations, or injuries......... Like our nightly news........

I would like to share that I am HAPPY to have survived the big move over the last 7 months. My DD went from summer TOP's state testing, level 5 compulsory, TOP's national testing, level 5 states then right into level 7 optional season, states, and regionals. Been a challenge but DD is happy, we are happy, we have a good line of communication with DD's coaches and are optimistic about her future. I understand that this isn't the case with many of you out there but I just wanted to let folks know that it isn't all bad out here in the gymnastics world. That is all. Take care and God bless!!!
I love this!!! The journey for us has been very similar and she is still LOVING gymnastics!! Hoping to cap off an amazing year with an invite to camp but still waiting!!

Despite a few challenges my DD had one of her best seasons in a long time and accepted a verbal scholarshipoffer which has been her goal for very long time.But the best part was that she absolutely loved her group of L10 girls this year, they really did a great job of supporting other and she has such a great bond with them. She adoresthe younger girls that moved up to level eight. She had so much fun this year and said so over and over again. just made my heart smile to hear her be so happy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back