Chalk dust breaking air conditioner

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
I am hoping for some help as I am responsible for keeping the ac intake filters clean. Out ac keeps breaking majorly, last year one compressor went and it was 5grand to fix this year the other went and it's going to be 6 grand min. To fix. They told us the issue is chalk dust trashing it. How do other peoples gyms that have ac's keep them in good repair?

you need to have pre-filters installed inside the gym. these filters will catch the chalk BEFORE they enter the filters inside the hvac unit.

the hvac mechanics could also build an air handler, with filters, that acts as a chalk eater. this would remove a lot of the chalk even before it hits the pre-filters.

these are 2 things that hvac mechanics know how to do if you mention what i have told you.

these small investments are much less expensive over time than replacing compressors.

Helpful as always! I will pass this info. along. As long as she is going to fork out the money to fix it AGAIN it may as well be done right this time! One other question, how do you handle the external air intake filters? Ours are some type you pull out and hose off, she has me doing this twice a week now. We have also tried the disposable kind but humidity made them weak and it sucked them in. So what type do you use and how often do you either wash or replace them?

yes. those are reusable filters. it has a filter media inside a plastic housing. hose them out the opposite direction of the air flow and let them dry. these are the kind that should be used.

true. when you use cardboard/fiberglas filters in high humidity combined with dense chalk, the filters collapse and get sucked in to the unit.

and when per-filters are used the same kind of reusables are used. they last virtually forever.

Well if we had AC in something but the lobby area I guess it would be a problem. The problem we have had is the dust clogs the fire detectors and sets off the fire alarms especially in the hot and humid weather. Try fixing that problem

plastic baggie and a rubber band. ^^^ be careful putting it on so that the lever doesn't get pulled accidentally.:)

plastic baggies won't work on a smoke and fire detector because then it can't detect what it was meant for.

sorry...lol...thought you meant the fire alarm switch.

Our gym doesn't have air con, but I think they've been through a lot of stereos!

that's the good stuff! costs money. see the other post about the parent that wants to drop out for the summer and not pay while we pay for the above maintenance materials to keep the gym cool and functioning when you need it most.

Our gym doesn't have air con, but I think they've been through a lot of stereos!

again, see the other posts. gyms go thru CD players like toilet paper. they don't cost money either...:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back