Off Topic Chalkbucket, but for diving?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Really

Proud Parent
Does anyone have any recommendations for Diving message boards/online forums similar to chalkbucket? DD is just getting started in diving this summer, and I am a total newbie. I would like a place to lurk and ask my idiotic questions. TIA!

I don't know of any, one of my daughter's just finished her high school diving career. Maybe you could start a social group on here? I think there are quite a few diving families.

Yes that's Scuba Diving.

I haven't been able to find an active diving forum either, hence hanging round here. If you find one let me know!

Happy to chat though :)

My dd has done some diving and competed in 1 novice meet so far. My niece also dives and is very competitive in the JO program. I don't know of anything similar to Chalkbucket for diving but you can gather a lot of information from the websites divemeets.com and cleanentries.com. Basically names of clubs, members and ages, dives being done and level of difficulty, scores etc. I learned a lot from these websites. They are the equivalent of mymeetscores.com and meetscoresonline.com .

I've been looking for one myself and have had no luck. If mods are ok with it, I'd be all in for a social group here. My DD is trying diving later this summer, and I have a DS that I hope to eventually get involved in the sport (he's fearless on a diving board, and the high school diving coach has been begging me to enroll him). :)

My dd has done some diving and competed in 1 novice meet so far. My niece also dives and is very competitive in the JO program. I don't know of anything similar to Chalkbucket for diving but you can gather a lot of information from the websites divemeets.com and cleanentries.com. Basically names of clubs, members and ages, dives being done and level of difficulty, scores etc. I learned a lot from these websites. They are the equivalent of mymeetscores.com and meetscoresonline.com .

Oh no, my sort of idiotic questions are along the lines of: "How does your kid stay warm between dives?" :oops: My DD has close to zero body fat, and she says her #1 complaint about diving is that she gets cold while waiting for her turn on the board (her only other complaints are that she doesn't get to do floor and bar routines while diving! :D) Because she's one of the new divers in the class, she feels self-conscious doing anything the other kids are not doing, like wearing a robe (my suggestion). There's no hot tub or hot showers to stand in at the pool she's taking her lessons at. :( Her coach lets her tread water, but this is apparently not a super effective solution for her, because by the time she gets up on the diving board she is visibly shivering and cold.

I don't know of any, one of my daughter's just finished her high school diving career. Maybe you could start a social group on here? I think there are quite a few diving families.

I don't even know how to do that! (start a social group) Would be thrilled to join if someone else did!

Oh no, my sort of idiotic questions are along the lines of: "How does your kid stay warm between dives?" :oops: My DD has close to zero body fat, and she says her #1 complaint about diving is that she gets cold while waiting for her turn on the board (her only other complaints are that she doesn't get to do floor and bar routines while diving! :D) Because she's one of the new divers in the class, she feels self-conscious doing anything the other kids are not doing, like wearing a robe (my suggestion). There's no hot tub or hot showers to stand in at the pool she's taking her lessons at. :( Her coach lets her tread water, but this is apparently not a super effective solution for her, because by the time she gets up on the diving board she is visibly shivering and cold.
Meets in the cold with no tub or showers are the worst. Had one this past season with 30 divers, 11 dives over 3 hours, 48 degrees outside with wind and rain. When there is no warm water available, some kids stay in and tread water, some dry off between each dive and put on their parkas. My daughter usually brought 5 or 6 towels with her to a meet. Does your dive club offer team parkas to purchase?

Get a sports shammy! No need for multiple towels then. Dry off between dives and put on a parka or sweatpants. I never had a parka but did have team warm up suit. I'd put the pants on after drying off. Can also use sweatpants. My teammates had sweat pants and long sleeve tees with Diving printed down the arm and legs, or the team name.

My ds (8) has been club diving for 3 years (plus gymnastics). He's competed FC (future champions), JO (more advanced with required dives) & qualified for regionals & zones. I'd absolutely love a diving <board> here, since often diving practices look like an ex-gymnast convention.

My son is always cold, as well.

I'm so envious when I see programs (like
Stanford) that have in-ground pits & multiple Tramps, belts,
Multiple dry boards into the pits, and a hot tub, in their training area.
Our program has one dry board, one above-ground tramp, and a pool. But it's the only option.

Diving parents, look up Laura Wilkinson on Face Book, (maybe her website too). She is a former Karolyi gymnast who won gold in 10 m platform in 2000, Sidney Olympics. She is a mom of three and diving competitively again.

Get a sports shammy! No need for multiple towels then. Dry off between dives and put on a parka or sweatpants. I never had a parka but did have team warm up suit. I'd put the pants on after drying off. Can also use sweatpants. My teammates had sweat pants and long sleeve tees with Diving printed down the arm and legs, or the team name.
Shammy absolutely! And that's all they really need on the warmer days. But my daughter didn't find it dried off her swimsuit enough on the days in the 40's and 50's, especially. So on those days it was shammy all the water off, dry towel around the torso to absorb the damp swimsuit, then parka over that. Switch to a new towel every 2 or 3 dives.

Click on "Social Groups.
On the right side, you will see a "create New Social Forum" button. Click it.
Come up with a Title and go from there.
I would suggest "The Diving Board" lol.

Done! "The Diving Board" is now a thing! Come join it on the social forums, everyone.

(BTW, as testament to how clueless I am, I'd never even noticed the "Social Groups" tab till you mentioned it in this post! :p )

Done! "The Diving Board" is now a thing! Come join it on the social forums, everyone.

(BTW, as testament to how clueless I am, I'd never even noticed the "Social Groups" tab till you mentioned it in this post! :p )
Joined. Post a new thread announcing its creation to make sure everyone's sees it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back