WAG Chalking the Beam - allowed?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Laylathegymnast

Coach
Gymnast
So, I struggle with sweaty feet on beam, which for some reason has recently got a lot worse. I compete a fronthandspring connection, and if I haven’t chalked up the beam/ my feet, then my foot slips off, and I end up falling on my butt on the beam.

So basically what I’m asking is: are you allowed to chalk up the beam in competition (JO if this makes a difference)? And if not, do you guys have any solutions for sweaty/slippery feet? Thanks!

You are probably better off getting beam shoes. There is no USAG rule against it, HOWEVER some gyms have a rule about no chalk on the beam.

Reactions: sce
I would go for shoes or chalk your feet. I had to bath in chalk in my former times until I found shoes as an alternative. Like jard said, chalking the beam is not allowed at least under FIG rules. Just small lines (like marking where you have to start your dismount is allowed). Maybe also this special shoes for turns are already helping, because somehow it is nicer to feel the beam with your feet. Some of my girls also wear wristbands on their feete.

Chalk your feet or use antiperspirant on them would be my first suggestions (because they are least expensive and I am cheap, lol.)
Or beam shoes.

My DD has never tried it so I can't vouch for it personally, but two of her teammates swear by this product. It's a sticky/tacky towel that reduces slippage from sweaty palms and feet. Unfortunately I could only find the product sold in a box of 12. Maybe a teammate will split with you? https://www.gymsupply.com/tac10towel.aspx

My DD has excessively sweaty hands/feets (we are talking puddles), and she did not find the tac10 towels helpful. However, two teammates with what I would describe as "normal" sweaty hands like them. We have tried antiperspirants, as well as Carpe (an antiperspirant lotion). None of it works for my DD. Her gym allows her to chalk her hands and feet before/during beam practice (she even has a special chalk bucket that she carries around on beam) and according to my DD that has been the most helpful. She does not chalk the beam directly. At meets it can be a bit tricky because not all meets have chalk near the beams. Sometimes her coaches will allow her to make a quick run to the chalk bucket near bars, or will even bring a little chunk of chalk from bars for her to use before competing beam. Once this year I literally saw her rubbing her hands all over the dusty floor at a meet -- no chalk nearby so I guess she figured dirt/dust was the next best thing! She has never been told that she cannot chalk her hands/feet before beam at a meet. Her routine was purposely choreographed so that she does her BHS-connection immediately after she mounts the beam, before the chalk on her hands/feet has melted off. She is JO L7.

As CLgym says, chalking hands and feet should never be an issue. If I had an athlete that desperately needed it at every meet, I’d have them bring their own in a baggie in their meet bag. As others have said chalking the beam directly is generally a no-no, except for small marking lines for dismounts, etc.

When it comes to chalking the beam directly at least in my area it is allowed; however, we have had a girl get told that if she proceeded to "excessively" chalk the beam from then on she would get deducted.

As CLgym says, chalking hands and feet should never be an issue. If I had an athlete that desperately needed it at every meet, I’d have them bring their own in a baggie in their meet bag. As others have said chalking the beam directly is generally a no-no, except for small marking lines for dismounts, etc.
This is what I've always read, but of course now I can't find a source. :) I believe the wording is what you used, only small lines for marking.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back