Parents Change gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Teammom

Proud Parent
Hey! I posted several weeks ago. My 5 year old was being evaluated for the summer pre-team at our gym in South Carolina. The coach told me she wanted to see her in the summer class from late May- early August. A few days later, I sent an email to the coach that was working with my daughter about letting her know the week we would be out of town. I got an email back saying she wanted her to stay in rec classes. She is currently in Rec B (which is like an intermediate class). They pull kids from Rec C at our gym to be on the team. I'm not sure how long they stay in Rec C until they're on the team. She'll be in Kindergarten in the fall. The youngest girls on the team look about 8-9. I'm not sure why she "cut" her. She was by far the strongest and a good listener.

I visited another gym in town yesterday. It's a smaller gym. The daughter of a woman I work with went through level 9 at this gym. She says this gym might have 6 competing and the other gym might have 15. She said her gym gave her daughter more one on one time. They needed their gymnast to have high scores since it was so much smaller. I took my 5 year old to be evaluated. They were amazed by her strength and talent. They wanted to skip rec and put her on the advanced track. But, I really like the facility of the gym she is currently taking. It's a much nicer facility. Plus, her sister's friends (2 years older) take at our current gym. She is in class with them so it makes gymnastic way more fun. But, since she isn't on pre-team. A couple of questions:

1. Has anyone had a daughter be asked to be on team without pre-team? Are they behind? (Again, pre-team at our gym is taken from the preschool class. My daughter was in preschool, 4K, but started at Rec A class. She didn't take when she was 3 like she was obviously suppose to!)

2. Should I email the coach at our gym and say something like, "hey if anybody has dropped out of preteam, Lauren would love to join!"

3. Should I change gyms? I'm only afraid she won't think it's as "fun".

The gym w/ the nice facility - how big is their team and are their higher leveled girls good? What age are their typical new to competing kids? As long as she wouldn't be behind her peers for the team program and they have a good track record of developing successful optional gymnasts, I'd keep her in the gym that she thinks is fun and has a nice facility.

You can definitely go right to team w/o pre-team - all that matters is that you have the skills and are ready by whatever the gyms standards are.

Teammom -

First off, take a breath; you are worrying about a lot of things that in the long run won't matter. Your daughter is 5 years old; the first and foremost thing you should be worried about is that she is having F U N! Please realize, that there is no gymnastics-related decision that you can make now that will "ruin" her gymnastics future.

Getting your dd into hard-core competitive gymnastics at this young age could actually do more damage than good. There will be plenty of time for her to get on a team and compete when she is a couple years older; right now she should be doing age-appropriate gymnastics (no back bends, bridges, etc) and focusing on the F-word (Fun).

You can begin to educate your self on the crazy world of gymnastics and start to gather information on what options are available to you; please realize that depending on where you live you might have a whole menu of choices or just one or two.

Good Luck!

Also, do they start competing at the same level? Other gym may put her on team as L1 or L2 whereas current gym might not start competing until L3.

Are those Rec classes in her current gym run through the summer, or she is now off until September?
What about the other gym? Did they invite her to start now and train through the summer? If so, how many hours? What is this "advanced track"? Is it like pre-team?

What Meetdirector said. I would not even be worrying about now.

There is no "one right gym" for everyone. But there is a right gym for everyone. If you and she wants her to compete, then it seems switching her will allow her to get to the place she wants to be. I would not keep her anywhere just becuase she knows someone else in her class. The other girl could quit, switch classes or gyms, or be moved up at any time. You shouldn't base your decision on that. You had her evaluated, they were impressed and offered her a spot. If you were comfortable and your dd like it, then I would try the new gym for the summer. If it doesn't go well or she doesn't like it, she should be able to switch back to the old gym. Being only in rec classes should not create a problem with coming back later (I would hope). Honestly I wouldn't even bother emailing the current gym. They passed her over for a spot and wanted her to stay in rec. I don't want to sound mean, but if they wanted her on team there they would have put her on team. I would move on.

I personally would not switch gyms right now. It sounds like both you and your daughter are happy where you are currently (friends in class, nice facility) except for the one situation on class placement. Most gyms don't even start competing until level 3 or 4 so she definitely has time. If the other gym was that excited about her now, they will probably be just as excited later on if you decided to make a change down the road. If she were my dd, I'd just let her have fun with her friends in class and not worry too much about being on pre-team right now.

I'll keep her where she is for now. I'm so thankful for this group!! She's signed up to take at her current gym this summer with her sister's friends. I think both gyms start to compete at level 3 or 4. The large gym usually wins the team competition, but individual goes back and forth between gyms. You guys are right, I need to take a deep breath! It's just when I watch the pre-team practice (during my daughter's lesson) I get so discouraged! I'm dead serious when I say some of the 5 year olds can't do a cartwheel and mine can do it on the BEAM!!! She got farther climbing the rope without using her feet then any other child. The pre-team has never done backbends but my child can almost do her back walkover without help. Plus, she does pull ups every night before going to bed on my husband's pull up bar because she thinks it fun. I think the only reason the one coach didn't like her is because she is on the taller side. And, maybe God knew that pre-team would burn her out at an early age. She wants to play soccer & tennis.

If you do decide to stay, I would still email or try to talk to the coach to try to find out why sudden change of heart. Don't be too pushy, just ask what your DD needs to work on to be able to move up to pre-team, and when would be the next chance. Will they re-evaluate at the end of summer? Next year?
If you can't get clear answers, I'm with @my4buffaloes. The other gym wants her, believes in her abilities and is willing to work with her, a would give it a try.

It seems like she is only 5 and has plenty of time, but a lot of gyms want their pre-teamers in the 4-5 age range. Wait a couple of years, and they'll tell you she is too old for JO.

One more thing, the new gym would push her farther and she'd be on team faster. I feel like reading some of these post that gymnast get on a team at an early age. What is a normal age to join a team at level 3 (I'm pretty sure neither gym starts at level 1 or 2).

Most of our level 3s are 7-9ish with a couple younger and a couple older. I also agree that 5 is a good time to join pre team so either ask current gym to reconsider or move her.

If you do decide to stay, I would still email or try to talk to the coach to try to find out why sudden change of heart. Don't be too pushy, just ask what your DD needs to work on to be able to move up to pre-team, and when would be the next chance. Will they re-evaluate at the end of summer? Next year?

I agree with this. It does seem strange that they had the sudden change of heart so it couldn't hurt to ask if they thought she would have another opportunity to join pre-team next round and when that next opportunity might be.

Our current gym doesn't have a "pre-team". I'm just calling it that because I don't know how else to describe it. It's just kids pulled from preschool program and do a different route to get to team other then rec classes.

I'll keep her where she is for now. I'm so thankful for this group!! She's signed up to take at her current gym this summer with her sister's friends. I think both gyms start to compete at level 3 or 4. The large gym usually wins the team competition, but individual goes back and forth between gyms. You guys are right, I need to take a deep breath! It's just when I watch the pre-team practice (during my daughter's lesson) I get so discouraged! I'm dead serious when I say some of the 5 year olds can't do a cartwheel and mine can do it on the BEAM!!! She got farther climbing the rope without using her feet then any other child. The pre-team has never done backbends but my child can almost do her back walkover without help. Plus, she does pull ups every night before going to bed on my husband's pull up bar because she thinks it fun. I think the only reason the one coach didn't like her is because she is on the taller side. And, maybe God knew that pre-team would burn her out at an early age. She wants to play soccer & tennis.
She sounds like she has a lot of interests and wants to try a bunch of things. Good for her, that is what being a 5 yr old is about.

If she truly ends up wanting all gym all the time, there will be time for that. Let her be.

I love that she has a lot of interests.
Now is the time for her to try anything and everything her heart desires....because once they get on the 20+ hour a week program/team program? Those other options must cease to exist, or at least diminish at the same level of intensity. I thank God my kid tried soccer, tball, ballet, ice skating, piano and swimming at a young age. She can still swim, but no team. Ballet is now incorporated in gym. Ice skating was given the boot when she had to choose between that and gym (praise the LORD she picked gym.....I froze my butt off in that rink, and it definitely is pricer than gymnastics, ugh!). Piano we still do because we have one in our home, lol. And she could give a hoot about the tball and soccer now, but is very grateful she was given the opportunity to try those sports.

I think the most important thing is that your kid is happy. And so I would leave her where she is, and have faith. And try to take a breath. And realize that there is nothing wrong with being where she is....because she is happy. :) And if she is happy, well then she is loving it and having fun. Which at age 5 is really all that matters.

Our level 3 team had 8 girls and they all started the season at 6 years old (except we had one 8 year old). They didnt have a great season as a team, but they had the experience and learned about competing and body awareness. They are all repeating L3, and I think they will do so much better being 7 and 8 year olds. Your gym might have a plan for your DD. They might just pluck her from rec next year and put her on L3 at 6. Thats what happened to all our girls, no one did pre team.

Ok, I'll keep her where she is. I thought about doing both gyms this summer, but that would get confusing to me and her.

I'll stick her in 2 rec classes a week in the fall. She'll probably move up to the last level of Rec classes by Christmas. They'll have to notice a five year old in the highest level of rec. this gym is huge.

Seriously y'all are so very helpful!!

Best of luck to your DD. I agree with several others that it isn't unreasonable to see if you can get additional information on what your DD needs to do to make team/preteam at this gym.

One thing to keep in mind is that preteam and team often seem to move more slowly than rec classes. When DD joined team, she found it frustrating at first that thw rec girls she had been with were acquiring skills more quickly than she was. But, the focus was different. Preparing to compete meant that her coaches were worried about form and progressions. On the other hand, the rec side was aorried abou fun and skills that keep kids in gym. So, it is possible that your DD's skill acquisition may change once she is on team. That an be a difficult transition, especially for the little ones.

Ok, I'll keep her where she is. I thought about doing both gyms this summer, but that would get confusing to me and her.

I'll stick her in 2 rec classes a week in the fall. She'll probably move up to the last level of Rec classes by Christmas. They'll have to notice a five year old in the highest level of rec. this gym is huge.

Seriously y'all are so very helpful!!

Sounds like you won't do this anyway, but just a word of advice-as tempting as it might be to try two different gyms at the same time, the gym world is small and that often backfires. We've had a mom who tried to do that at our gym-it was stressful on her daughter and caused a lot of unnecessary drama between the two gyms. I am sure it's frustrating to see so many different levels of skills, and feel like your daughter's aren't being recognized but as a mom of an athlete who started pre-team in Kindergarten, I can honestly say it didn't help advance her any faster. Hindsight is a wonderful thing-but I wish we had not gone into such a competitive program when she was younger so she would have had more time to explore other activities. At the time I thought "oh, she loves gym-wants to be there so I should pick this for her". Now that she is a teenager I do wish she had had more time to explore other activities.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back