Parents Change gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think the only reason the one coach didn't like her is because she is on the taller side.

Yeah, ok. I would walk down that road sooner rather than later and find out if this is the reason they don't want her on preteam. And if they do not plan to promote her to team track within a year, I would move her now. This is assuming she wants longer and more critical practices.

@emorymom I'm more confused then ever. I feel like this summer was prime time to get her ahead. Any other gym in South Carolina would have scooped her up. She's 5 years old she can do:
5 pull ups alone
Leg lifts (a bunch!)
Climb rope (with feet) super fast
Standing back bend then kick out of it
Working on a backhand spring
Almost has that swing and go backwards on bar

Her gym doesn't know she can do backbend kick over or pull-ups or back handspring. She goes to a private tumbling/strength coach. She has learned so much from him.

The preteam girls are in the gym 6 hours a week in the summer getting stronger. But they don't have my daughters skill level. My little one is in one rec class and an hour with private coach.

The #1 problem of changing is carpool!! And I love the gym, other then that one coach.

@emorymom I'm more confused then ever. I feel like this summer was prime time to get her ahead. Any other gym in South Carolina would have scooped her up. She's 5 years old she can do:
5 pull ups alone
Leg lifts (a bunch!)
Climb rope (with feet) super fast
Standing back bend then kick out of it
Working on a backhand spring
Almost has that swing and go backwards on bar

As everyone has already said, if both she and you are interested in team and it doesn't happen at this gym by end of summer, move on to the other gym. Perhaps also consider asking your tumbling coach to advocate for your DD with the head coach (as opposed to the developmental coach).

Our gym does pre-team as the equivalent of JO lvl 1 (4 hrs/week and only one meet), then Bronze as lvl 2 (7.5 hrs/week and 4-5 meets), Silver as lvl 3 (10-11 hrs/week and 5 meets), and then moves on to traditional JO lvl 4-10 (hours and meets vary).

It sounds like your gym's version of pre-team is perhaps similar in hours/intensity to something in between level 1-2, to get them ready to compete at level 3? I know for my 5 y/o to get to bronze/lvl 2, she needed to demonstrate profiency (minimal proficiency for many!) on a list of really specific skills and anything extra did not matter or impress them and they actually discouraged kids from doing them on their own (BWO, BHS, etc) for fear of them developing bad form or getting hurt.

She needed a back hip circle (the swing and go bkwrds on bar) with straight arms, a pull-up/pull-over, a straight leg L-hold on the rope for a count of 10, 10 (maybe 5? I really think 10 though) leg lifts with straight legs/pointed toes to 90 degrees and at least one all the way up with straight legs, a bridge kickover (they specifically do NOT want them doing the back bend yet), a round-off/rebound (most are not particularly bouncy though!), a straight jump on beam, half turn on beam, and a straight jump from springboard onto stacked mats followed by a handstand flat back for "vault" and a "jump back" from the vault spring board.

Perhaps they have a very specific list like this that they sort of quietly track for promotion? Ask them about it and make sure they know of DD's interest in team. Ask what the best path is to get your DD to that level. If they aren't responsive to some gentle question and interest from the parent of a talented kid, then you move on.

This is a hard one. If she wants to compete maybe a change is in order. If she is happy just doing gymnastics for fun, stay. Please consider a few things when deciding what is the correct decision.

Moving gyms requires you leave friends and coaches, so if moving do it sooner than later.
As someone already mentioned never stay for friends, do gym for your own child's individual desire.
Do not make changes for a parents desire, but as a parent, you have to make the decision a 5-year-old can not make it.
Gym competitive gym is done for the love of the sport, so attend a gym where the coaches care about your DD and have the desire to improve her skill to the top level of her ability. (Can't ask for anything more.)

One of DD's coaches once told me gymnastics is not fun. I questioned him. His response was eye opening. He said going to an amusement park is fun. If I took you to that same amusement park every day for 10 years would it still be fun? I saw his point, these kids do it for the love of it and the feeling they get to conquer fears and obtain new skills, the pride they feel inside to improve, and yes friends with kids who get you.

For the 5 year olds, it isn't a traditional preteam at our gym. It's kids chosen when they were age 4. Some of these preteam kids can't do cartwheels. I feel 100% confident that she wasn't kept because she's about 1-2" taller then other girls. I'm hoping that as she quickly advances through the rec classes, that somebody will notice her. There are plenty of taller girls on the team.

I just hate that she isn't getting the same conditioning that the preteam girls are getting this summer.

If you think she needs more conditioning, keep her active this summer. Go to the park, take her to open gyms, go on walks, bike rides even have her guide you through gymnastics conditioning. You will both get stronger.

For the 5 year olds, it isn't a traditional preteam at our gym. It's kids chosen when they were age 4. Some of these preteam kids can't do cartwheels. I feel 100% confident that she wasn't kept because she's about 1-2" taller then other girls. I'm hoping that as she quickly advances through the rec classes, that somebody will notice her. There are plenty of taller girls on the team.

I just hate that she isn't getting the same conditioning that the preteam girls are getting this summer.

I'm just going to throw it out there that a 5yr old that is 1-2 inches taller than others is nothing...and for team members to be chosen off of that seems ridiculous. Those height differences will continue to flip flop for years. Now if the child was a good bit taller and her parents are super tall individuals I can see gyms that may have a "certain" body type they look for pass her over. Is it fair? No, or course not. But it's also not something you will be able to change their minds (more than likely).

As far as conditioning is concerned I agree with @txgymfan

It does depend on the gym's rules, but when my DD switched gyms she went from pre-team lvl 2, straight to lvl 3 and competed within 6 months of switching. At her new gym they do not have a pre-team lvl 2 or any lvl 2. They put you on pre-team training for lvl 3 after you've passed all 4 girls "basic" rec classes.

At her old gym pre-team lvl 2 was like girls "basic" 2 rec class.

So yeah, it's very possible!

My DD has always been tall for her age group (80-90th percentile) but she was identified at more than one gym for preteam. I do think there may be some drawbacks along the way with her long legs but on the flip side when she does perform the skills she has beautiful lines.

All that to say that height should not automatically disqualify her at the young age and maybe it will start to work for her in time.

Without going in to the details of our personal gymnastics saga, I just wanted to concur that there are gyms out there making pre-team (and team) decisions based on height, body type, etc. -- and not on skills. Our old gym was pretty open about it's selection criteria being based on body proportions. It said so right on its website! In these types of gyms, it generally doesn't matter what skills a gymnast has.... she will not be selected if she doesn't fit the gym's preferred body type. We were told at our old gym that the HC was trying to make predictions regarding a gymnast's long-term success in the sport based on body type.

In our case, the girls with skills but not the "right" body were directed to a different team track (e.g., Xcel). If the OP is at this type of gym, then it would be helpful to learn this sooner rather than later. While there is really no rush to change gyms at age 5 (we waited until DD was age 7 and had competed one year of Xcel), it is helpful to understand gym philosophy when making decisions.

New question...my dd will be 6 in November and starting kindergarten in August. She's in the 2nd tear of rec classes (3 total tears total). Should I sign her up for 2 classes per week in the fall? Each class is 1.5 hours. Or, at this age can she get by with one class? She isn't taking dance this year. The only other activity will be soccer on the weekends.

New question...my dd will be 6 in November and starting kindergarten in August. She's in the 2nd tear of rec classes (3 total tears total). Should I sign her up for 2 classes per week in the fall? Each class is 1.5 hours. Or, at this age can she get by with one class? She isn't taking dance this year. The only other activity will be soccer on the weekends.

Yes, I think 2 classes is a good idea, especially if the goal is to make a team. The more time she spends at the gym, the faster she will progress.

When my DD was five, she was invited to pre-team. We declined because we weren't ready for that type of commitment yet. The director of team asked me to at least put her in classes 2 days a week. The following year, right after she turned 6, she was invited to level 3. You will be surprised at how much better she gets from an extra day.

When my DD was five, she was invited to pre-team. We declined because we weren't ready for that type of commitment yet. The director of team asked me to at least put her in classes 2 days a week. The following year, right after she turned 6, she was invited to level 3. You will be surprised at how much better she gets from an extra day.
I recall DD making huge improvements when she started 3 days if practice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back