Coaches change twist direction now or let it go?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymRays

Coach
Proud Parent
I'm currently coaching xcel silver and gold. On bars, a handful of my girls are doing the 1/2 turn tap dismount. I haven't done any acro twisting skills, only dance skills with them. I have done the fun contests with them to see which way each of them are naturally turning. Now I realize three of them are twisting their bar dismount the opposite way they naturally wanted to twist. Should I change this now or let it go. If I don't change it will it affect them when they begin back salts with twists or vaulting twists. I have been working with them to get their flyaway but they will be competing the remainder of the season with the1/2 turn dismount. If I plan on them doing flyaways should I not bother addressing this?

I personally wouldn't change this , not worth the effort but I am sure some people will say you have to lol.

I don't think it will have much of an impact on other twisting skills (fulls on floor or vault--any more than doing jump full turns the wrong way would), but it is designed as a lead-in to blinds (and is otherwise a bit of an odd, dead-end skill), so I would recommend switching to the correct direction, as you will have to re-do the swing, half turns as drills one day anyhow before teaching blinds.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back