WAG Changes in 2013

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I heard the other day that when they update the CoP in 2013 they'll be making level 6 an optional level (in USAG). I've also heard some people say that they're going to be somehow adding a level, so, for example, if you're a level 5 now, you'll be a level 4. But, other people have said that they're just increasing the skill requirements in each level, so that level 9 skills will now be required in level 8. I'm really confused, so can anybody who knows help me understand what changes they'll be making in 2013?

They are not "adding" a level. They are just increasing the skill level needed at each level by renaming the levels. Level 6 will be optional now but New Level 6 will have the current skill requirements of a now Level 7. So basically current Level 4 and subsequent skills will now be Level 3, Level 5 now Level 4, Level 6 now Level 5. I know it is confusing but once it hits it will all make much more sense. This is also happening at the same time that the new routines will be out. If someone can explain this better please do!

I was also curious about this.. So will the changes only affect level 6 and under?

So if next year when this all happens, for instance, you are a level 9 training level 10, will you really be training for level 9 again? So even if you get all your skills for the next level and "move up", you will still be the same level you were the previous year? Or does it really only affect level 6 and below, like B Gymnast said?

Also, I am just curious as to why they decided to make this change????

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/chalk-bucket/34392-2013-proposed-changes.html

This is one of several threads on the topic. It should give you some answers. If you search in the box above you will find more.

The short answer is that every level will move down one in skill and an additional level will be added between 8 and 9. Six will also become optional level. So gyms that compete level 4 may start at level 3 with the similar skills.

Check out the link posted above for specifics. L9 and 10 will essentially remain the same. They are adding in a new L8 and then all the levels below that are basically moving down 1 level in terms of skills.

Everything I have heard about it states that it is supposed to make it easier to make the jump to 9 and 10.

First, this change is not for the upcoming season - it is for the 2013-14 season.

USAG is attempting to ease the transition to the higher optional levels. In order to do so, they decided that a "level" needed to be inserted before the current level 9 that leads into the bigger skills trained at level 9. In order to do this and stick with some form of sensical numbering system, they called the new level "8" (since it comes before "9") and consequently had to bump all prior levels down one number. Now, at the same time they were doing this they took the opportunity to restructure each level a little bit where needed. All of this with the end goal of easing the transitions to higher levels as girls go through the system.

I can tell you from watching our gym, that the current jump from 8 to 9 is HUGE, primarily on beam, bars, and vault. This new level will maybe keep girls around longer and lead to more success at the optional levels. It will take time for everyone to make the transition; it always does. But the athletes won't be the ones trying to figure it out.

Good Luck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back