WAG Changes to Elite Scoring???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was watching the American Cup where Tim Dagget mentioned scoring is getting harder and no one will get scores as high as they were at the Olympics. Dagget said the scores will generally be a full point lower than the scores at the Olympics. What were these changes made that is making the scores lower? Did they devalue skills like in collegiate gymnastics?

They also eliminated a compositional requirement. The difficulty score used to include 5 compositional requirements at 0.5 each (2.5) + the value of the hardest x number of skills + connection bonus. Now there are just four requirements, so all D scores are down 0.5 point. Vault D scores were also lowered to align better with the other events.

Yes, scores will be lower. Up until now the D score (difficulty score) included 5 compositional requirements. These were things that needed to be included in the routine for example a leap series on bam and each of the compositional requirements was worth 0.5 on the score. In the new Olympic cycle there will only be 4 compositional requirements. So scores will be 0.5 lower.

The difficulty value of vaults have also been devalued to keep everything in line. If Vault values demeaned the same while other apparatus all dropped by 0.5 it would have out an unfair amount of value on vault when it comes to work our AA scores.

Why are they devaluing these elements? I mean what purpose will it serve?

Just a gym mom trying to understand this crazy sport....thought I had elite scoring *sort of* figured out but now I'm lost again. o_O

It is the dismount that is being taken out of the compositional requirements. Up until now they had to have a D value dismount to get their final 0.5 compositional requirement.

I think this will be a very good thing. There was a lot of emphasis on having the difficult dismount and if it wasn't there, there was no chance of a good score. But injury rates are much higher on dismounts than on other skills. By devaluing it they are looking after the safety of the athletes.

Why are they devaluing these elements? I mean what purpose will it serve?

Just a gym mom trying to understand this crazy sport....thought I had elite scoring *sort of* figured out but now I'm lost again. o_O
They removed the D value dismount requirement. It is a safety issue (but will also allow other countries and individuals to be more competitive with the US gymnasts).
As another poster said, they had to devalue the vaults to keep it in line with the other events or a strong vaulter (who might be slightly weaker on the other events) would have a major advantage in the AA.

Is this different than what they did for the men? (I know this is in WAG forum, but the question fits here). I believe on all but floor and vault, the men still have a dismount EG, but they got rid or combined other EGs.

To handycap US athletes.... they wanted more skills, the US gave it to them and destroyed everyone. So now it will go back to clean and simple , giving everyone a chance to win.... because they do that in all sports , NOT. When was the last time you saw runners getting a head start against Usain Bolt? Never. It's a scam. Strictly my opinion ....

To handycap US athletes.... they wanted more skills, the US gave it to them and destroyed everyone. So now it will go back to clean and simple , giving everyone a chance to win.... because they do that in all sports , NOT. When was the last time you saw runners getting a head start against Usain Bolt? Never. It's a scam. Strictly my opinion ....

But is it really handicapping the US more than any of the other top countries that are already doing D dismounts on all events?

Isn't it a bit like the devaluation of some skills deemed too dangerous (one arm giants)? This change is going to discourage lesser skilled athletes from including skills that are not safe for them but I can't see how it will change anything for the top countries. It's not like they are suddenly going to be doing C dismounts just because that EGR is gone.

What am I missing?

But is it really handicapping the US more than any of the other top countries that are already doing D dismounts on all events?

Isn't it a bit like the devaluation of some skills deemed too dangerous (one arm giants)? This change is going to discourage lesser skilled athletes from including skills that are not safe for them but I can't see how it will change anything for the top countries. It's not like they are suddenly going to be doing C dismounts just because that EGR is gone.

What am I missing?
No, they made it easier . So more countries can hang with the powerhouses. (Which is just us now ). The bottom line is, the other Olympic sports don't do this.

I just don't see how this changes anything for the top tier elites and teams. They will keep doing D dismounts (at a minimum), the US girls will keep dominating due to both high difficulty and clean execution, same as today.

It will allow some "lower tier" elites to sometimes play with the big kids although they would never be true contenders anyway if a D dismount is out of their reach. It might make positions 5-8 in the team event a little more interesting, some teams might come into play that weren't contenders before. If anything, I would say this affects the mid-level elites and teams more as that field will become larger while top girls and teams will be largely unaffected.

Totally agree other sports don't do this.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back