WAG Changing gymnasts routines right before meets??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kringle21

Proud Parent
I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this before?... my gymnast & some of her teammates have higher skills on all events and the coach has decided to change their routines to their old, easier routines for the upcoming meets. Rumor has it it's because the coach wants them to get into states but the first of the 2 meets isn't even sanctioned so it doesn't matter. Wouldn't a coach want the gymnasts to perform at their best with the skills they've been working so hard on all season so far, the ones the girls have consistently rather then have them do skills that are too easy?

It depends on how many deductions they may be taking. I know my ds' coach will frequently take skills out if they are taking too many deductions that it will impact the score too much. It is a tough call. but I know my son has many skills that are consistent in practice, but are not in his routines yet. If i ask him, he will tell me that the deductions are not worth the skill value.

So, if you trust your coaches, then you trust that they know what they are doing. Once the girls have made state, they may start playing with some of those harder skills to see what they do to the score.

This is common. Harder skills may increase potential for deductions so sometimes it's best to play it safe; especially if the athletes are trying to qualify for state. Sometimes the decision for an easier substitution is made at the meet during warm up for a variety of reasons.

This is common. Harder skills may increase potential for deductions so sometimes it's best to play it safe; especially if the athletes are trying to qualify for state. Sometimes the decision for an easier substitution is made at the meet during warm up for a variety of reasons.
Yep. Seen it happen a lot. And sometimes it goes the other way also where they end up with the harder routine. Go figure

Yes, happens all the time. Competing harder-than-required skills is not always a good thing. A simpler routine that meets all of the special requirements AND doesn't expose as many of the gymnast's faults is much better than chucking harder skills just for the sake of it and getting a ton of form/skill deductions.

Trust the athlete's coach - what skills go into a competition routine is not a place for parent input.

Good Luck.

Thanks for all the feedback. I just wonder because there are a few skills that my daughter has perfectly and has been doing for so long and the coach is taking it out. It's just a little upsetting.

Yep. Seen it happen a lot. And sometimes it goes the other way also where they end up with the harder routine. Go figure

Yes! DD's coaches attempted to do this for a few at the last meet...we weren't sure why but the coaches must have had their reasons.

Thanks for all the feedback. I just wonder because there are a few skills that my daughter has perfectly and has been doing for so long and the coach is taking it out. It's just a little upsetting.

A word to the wise - Get Used To It. How about the coach taking out skills after event warm-up at Regionals or Westerns? It was the right decision, but ...

Just repeat to yourself - "the coach knows what he is doing, the coach knows what he is doing ..."

Oh, and while a skill "appears" perfect to you, the coach is seeing it thru the eyes of a judge. See previous line.

This drives me crazy...not so bad if we know ahead of time... but occasionally my DS will have his coach change a routine DURING WARM-UP! What?!? How does a kid prepare for that?!?

Reactions: sce
This drives me crazy...not so bad if we know ahead of time... but occasionally my DS will have his coach change a routine DURING WARM-UP! What?!? How does a kid prepare for that?!?
Happened to my kid at level 6. Switched from one and a half turn to one because she was just struggling with floor that day. Worked out for the better.

At least in my experience at level 9 and 10 the routines are always in flux. Put in something new, change that connection, switch that skill out with something that will receive less deductions. State coming -- dumb it down. Nationals coming -- ramp it up with all your hardest skills you can execute well.

Not really our business as their parents. Best to encourage your gymnast to embrace it. It's between gymnast and coach. If dd gets upset about something like this, all I can say is that she needs to trust her coach and to take a day. If there is still an actual real problem, then gymnast talks to coach about it. That's it.

Clean gets the most points. Meets are about doing the required skills you do best to get the most points (especially if you need to qualify for something). Practice is the place to get the skills to be your best.

And think bigger picture for all of this. Seriously, these are life lessons that are beyond invaluable.

Gymnasts learn to go with the flow, think on their feet, change things as needed at the last minute, trust and work closely with the coach (later in life like a supervisor/manager) ....seriously what amazing amazing skills these kids are learning early.

Say a gymnast later on becomes a teacher - yes there is so much planning and prep work, but in reality so much is reacting to the situation in real time and adapting. Students throw curve balls and you have to adapt.
Or, say later in life a former gymnast's career has him/her preparing for months to research, prepare and deliver a huge important presentation. But, right before it is to be delivered the boss says some slides have to go, or be info has to be changed up - yep, that sure happens in life. A gymnast is so well trained to handle this!! They learned it all at a young age!!

I am the first to admit the sport is so frustrating, whether you are the athlete or the parent - but at dark times I try to step back and remind myself of what this all means over the longer term. (i.e. Good positive stuff)

Hang in there, all yee parents!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back