WAG Changing gyms at optional levels?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Natasha

Proud Parent
I am interested in hearing from Optional level parents and gymnasts about your experience changing gyms as an optional level gymnast. How did you come to the decision that it was time to make a move? Once you came to the decision, how did you handle leaving the old gym? Looking back, is there anything you would do differently? How long did it take your daughter/you to adjust to the new gym? Thanks for sharing!

We left as DD was starting optionals (a L7). We only wish we had left at least a year earlier. It took a good 6 months to adjust for DD, but the improvement started immediately. There were a number of factors that led to the switch but coaching changes were the final straw.

you leave at any level that your little voice inside your head says something isn't right. You leave as soon as you make the decision and let the gym know maybe a week or two before leaving. No need to drag it out. Yes its hard to leave, its sad to leave old friends but kids bounce back quickly and within a month your DD will have new friends and you will have a new group of gym moms to figure out

Is it harder to move as an optional? What about girls that parents have to move ect? Do they find it hard to find a gym that will take them at level 8 or 9?

Is it harder to move as an optional? What about girls that parents have to move ect? Do they find it hard to find a gym that will take them at level 8 or 9?

The "finish line" in a gym change isn't when the kids gets placed with a new team. It comes several weeks to a handful of months later at L7 and 8, and even longer at L9 and 10, when the coach and gymnast have learned each other's vocabulary, moods, and body language. Sure, I can coach a kid I've never seen before, but there will be more dialog required to make sure she and I both know what the other is saying, and how we'll each react.

My story is a little different in we changed gyms 2 weeks before her L8 State Meet. (15 months ago) If I had a choice I would have waited until the end of the season (that was my plan) but things got so bad and I was left without a choice.

It worked out great. My daughter has grown and improved as a gymnast in ways that I know she would not have at the old gym.

I agree that it takes about a year for the coaches and gymnast to truly get to know one another.

My only regret is not making the switch the prior summer when it should've have been done.

From the time we decided to start exploring other options to the actual move was about 4 months. However, I had been wanting to move both girls for about 4 years prior to that! My older DD decided to retire when she was 14, and so younger DD changed gyms that same time, the day after level 7 States.

She immediately felt at home from day 1 amongst her new teammates and coaches. I would say it didn't take long for her to get used to her new coaches and trusting them as she got her first new (big) skill exactly a month later! For me, it probably took about 6 months before I formed new friendships to the point where I was completely comfortable with parents/coaches- as I don't spend nearly the same amount of time in the gym as DD (obviously!). It took DH much longer to meet other parents as he views the gym as "my" territory but he has finally come around. Now, two years later, we are part of a huge gym family.

Like Gymbee says, as soon as you start even "thinking" about a gym change, you're probably overdue for it. When we changed gyms, my daughter was a level 10 and the adjustment was fine, she fit right in and thrived from the get go...so listen to the little voice in your head and get going.

One caveat, I wouldn't give advance notice of the departure though...when we left our very first gym, I gave them 2 weeks notice and we were treated so horribly that I ended it the next day so in retrospect , I would leave and then email them....

I switched gyms right after I finished level 8 so I was a level 9 at my new gym. I had most of my level 9 skills already so I was ready to compete as a 9 that season. I did learn some skills at the new gym. It was good because we competed against the gym I switched to so the coaches already knew who I was and they knew most of my abilities like she is the girl who competes x y and z on floor but she can't do a on beam. So they could work with me pretty much from the beginning. It was a different coaching style so it took me a while to adjust to that but in the end it was definitely worthwhile.

We just went through with this my daughter is training level 9. We had many reasons for wanting to switch which I won't get into We went to new gyms tried out by letting dd practice with them a few days met with coach and asked questions etc. then we made a decesion and informed our prior gym in writing we were leaving didn't go I to specifics. We are so happy we did best decesion ever !!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back