Parents Changing Gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessMom

Proud Parent
I might be switching gyms and have no idea where to start. I'll take any suggestions / advice I can get!

This is only DD's first year competing. She LOVES the gym . . . problem is the coach she's working with is leaving.

I want to find a gym where I know the equipment is safe, the coaches are capable of spotting and are encouraging. Where she maybe has a few team mates closer to her age. She's only 7 and LOVES gymnastics. I don't want to take her someplace where they burn her out, she gets hurt or she looses her joy. Know what I mean?

In the past year I've seen some coaches at meets that scare me! the looks they give when someone falls ~cringe~ I've also seen really bad and scary spotting.

Then there is the whole USAIGC vs USAG thing. Our current gym only does USAIGC . . .

I don't know where to start. How do you check out other gyms? How do you get a feel for the coaches and how they treat the gymnasts? How do find out how well they spot?

In a perfect world - I would like to start her someplace over the summer to give her time to adjust. Am I just over thinking it all?

I don't want to move from gym to gym.

I don't know where to start. How do you check out other gyms?
Call them and ask to stop in to talk to them and to take a look around. Check out several gyms. It sounds like you have a good start because you have been observant at meets. There are some real pieces of work out there "coaching." We have a lot of girls come to my dd's gym because of how nice the coaches are at meets - and not only to their owns gymnasts.

How do you get a feel for the coaches and how they treat the gymnasts? How do find out how well they spot?
At that first visit ask about the background of the coaches - their training, safety certifications, etc.
Also find out the training schedule, then stop in unannounced on another day and watch the practice for awhile. This also gives you a chance to get insight on dynamics of the team parents and the dynamics of the girls on the team.

Lastly, you can ask for a trial practice to see if it is a good fit for your dd.

In a perfect world - I would like to start her someplace over the summer to give her time to adjust. Am I just over thinking it all? Not at all

Good luck:)

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I can't tell you how heart breaking this is. DD has had such a great experience this year and LOVES the gym. All the girls are wonderful and welcomed her with open arms even though she is so much younger . . . and the coaches are just the best! But without the coach . . . sigh. I don't understand why the owners don't see how the best and only great thing about their gym is . . . the coaches. :(

Gymjoy gave great advice. You've already seen some gyms that don't excite you, so you can at least put them toward the bottom of the list. Look for gyms within a reasonable distance and start making calls, checking their websites and stopping by for a chat. Don't get turned off by a physically smaller gym that doesn't look all spiffy and new. Many gymnasts get good training in a smaller facility.

Take notes about each gym---good vs bad. Stop in and watch practice---you may find different coaches for the USAG program vs. the USAIGC teams. As for the gyms you've seen at USAIGC meets that don't impress, you may still want to check out their USAG program. Is the coach that is leaving going to another gym? If so, not unusual at all for some kids to follow a coach they like.

I too would recommend dropping by a gym, un-announced and see how they roll on a typical day. See what kind of vibe you get. Then take your daughter for a free trial class, many gyms will do that. Talk to some of the parents there as well. Good luck!!

Also, you can ask around, as for PM's on gyms in your location. Find a mom that seems chill at a gym you're considering and ask about that gym and other gyms. It's a big investment and I'm sure a lot of us comparison shop. Where I live there are maybe 5 programs close enough that I could get my daughter there, and I certainly have looked my area already. I am always happy to share what I know about the programs (you know, facts and positive things).

I was wondering, is the only reason why you are thinking about changing gym's is because your DD's coach is leaving?

Sounds like your current gym has everything you want in a gym.. Is it possible to wait it out at the gym until they get a new coach? And maybe the new coach will be just as good as the old coach? OR what about finding out if the coach that is leaving is going to a different gym? since you respect that coach so much they are probably going to a good gym..

Hope that makes sense! Good luck!

I am really hopeful they'll bring someone good in. They'll need to do it asap. My fear is they'll try to fill the position form current staff . . . not promising. But if they do it before June - give the girls a chance to know the new coach - maybe everyone will stay. If they don't . . . come June many of the girls are going to leave. I should mention the team has had the same 2 main coaches for over 5 years and all the girls love them . . . both will be gone next yr.

Following the coaches won't be possible but thankfully she is helping me find another gym, giving me the inside scoops.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back