Parents changing gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

V

ValleyGymMom

After much thought we have decided to switch gyms. It wasn't an easy decision, but in the long run, hopefully it will turn out to be the right one. We love all the people at our dd's current gym and she has alot of great friends there but for various reasons we have decided to move. There are only 2 coaches here, and our gym is VERY small, with not enough ceiling clearance to do giants. My dd has been competing level 8 without giants. We haven't told coach yet, we are waiting until after states next week. Our daughter is the first girl at our gym to get this far and the facility is just not equipped to train her properly. The new gym has plenty of ceiling, pits, coaches for each event plus a choreographer and a dance class as well. DD is so excited she could burst! If we stay here her chances of advancing any higher are slim...she has gone as far as she can go here, but now she will be able to learn the required skills to advance. I know coach will be sad to see her go, but will understand our reasons. We are excited for her, but also nervous.

I know alot of you have switched gyms for various reasons. Any advice you could give me would be helpful. Also any advice from your dd's as well, as to how she can make the transition easy. Thanks!

Sounds like a great new experience for her! And it sounds like the reasons you are switching for ar totally valid. The only advice I can give is to be patient with the transition. Change can be hard and adjustment time does need to be considered. I'm sure she will do great at her new gym! Good luck!! And keep us posted!!

You have very sound reasons for wanting and needing to change gyms. We went through this about 18mos ago although it was not on a happy note. Tell dd to hang in there because even though the new gym has better equipment/more experienced coaching, she will probably feel a little confused and just "out of it" for a few practices. My gymmie said her biggest adjustment was getting used to more conditioning and also some corrections on skills she thought she was doing correctly.

I really think the girls bond quite quickly especially the older ones since there are usually fewer optionals then compulsories. I kept pretty close tabs with gymmie's new coach for the 1st month to make sure she was settling in and she did encourage me to tell her anything gymmie wasn't feeling comfortable with.

I would make sure the new gym has a firm start date for your dd. That way the coaches can be expecting her and make sure she gets in the routine quickly.

GL on the move----and to being able to practice giants all the time!!

Thanks for the great advice! As gymlawmom mentioned, one of the things I am concerned about is her having to "re-learn" some basics skills that she probably thinks she is doing correctly. Things she has been taught over the years will be hard to let go of...just out of habit. I'm sure she will get the hang of it in no time. I don 't normally hang out at the gym and watch, but I would like to stay for a couple of classes to see how she fits in. If the coaches don't think that's a good idea then I won't , but I am curious to see how they roll.

Thanks!! We start on May 1st.

I'm sure she'll do great. Re-learning and getting rid of old habits really isn't always that hard. My dd has done it. I would just be patient and understanding with her. The hard thing about changing gyms is that the kid has to get used to new equipment, new coaching styles, new expectations, new personalities, new hours and new teammates all at the same time. It is a lot of change, but she'll adjust. Just don't be surprised if it takes a little longer than you expect.

I'm sure she'll do great with the move. My dd switched gyms last year and has loved it. We left for different reasons than you, and our leaving was not pleasant (could have/should have gone a lot smoother, but that's another story). The result was that my dd didn't want to leave her old gym, was not happy with me for making her leave. I knew with everything in me though that the switch was ineveitable and better to make that change sooner rather than later. From the 1x that my dd set foot in the new gym for a trial practice, I knew that it would be a great fit, both coaching wise and team wise. All of the girls on team made her feel extremely welcome. The coaches buddied her with an existing team member her level that 1st night, and it went great. She never had an adjustment time at the new gym, things just clicked right away. It did take some time to "fix" skills that weren't being done correctly, but the social/coach dynamics were never an issue. She loved her new gym right away. It did take her a little to stop missing her old team/coach, but she never questioned that it was the right thing to do for her advancement. Matter of fact, about a month or so after switching she thanked me sincerely for making her move, and repeats that thanks at least every couple of months.
Your dd is ready for the move, and sees that it will be to her benefit, so I would really be surprised if she has much difficulty in leaving and moving to a more established program.

Good luck, she'll do great. And good luck in the next season also.

Thank you all so much for your kind words. I'm convinced now more than ever that we are doing the right thing. She knows that if we stay here her gymnastics career is short-lived and she wants more than anything to comtinue. She is ready. I hope it goes smoothly. It's so hard to not say anything to anyone yet... but we just don't want it known while we are working so hard on preparing for state..THAT should be our number one concern right now.
It's so nice to hear from others that have gone through this very same thing and experienced great successes. That's the wonder of CB! We all understand each other!
Many thanks!:)

Oh, VGM, I feel for you and your dd! ((((HHUUUGGSSS))))!!!!

My DD has had to change gyms more times than I would care to admit.

We've had two 'gym exits' that were not very amicable & were due to leaving for better coaching and/or technique. That was hard, I felt like such a traitor!
Even tho they weren't the best gym, they did put their time & energy into my dd, and they liked her a lot. It felt like a divorce!

Then there were the two times we moved out of state. Both of these times, dd loved the gym, and had made some wonderful friends. It broke my heart to tear her away from coaches and girls she had really gotten close to.

This last time we left a gym, she had only been there 6 weeks, and we left due to her health issues. But they don't know that dd does not want to go back there, if she decides to go back to gymnastics (due to a coach there that she was having big troubles with). I didn't say anything about him to the HC when we left, as I did not want to burn any bridges just yet! But if dd does go back to gymnastics, she will probably be with a different team. We will surely bump into this gym we just left, & it's going to be oh, so awkward! I guess at that point I'll have some "splainin' " to do, & will probably have to fess-up to the HC/Owner that the one coach there scared my dd! I hate these types of conversations, lol!!

So, you can at least comfort yourself, knowing that you are not even approaching our record, lol! I am sure no one here on CB has done the amount of gym changes that we have!

But seriously, if you want to chat, or need a shoulder, feel free to 'pm' me or e-mail me thru my cb contact page.

We are thinking of you, and hope the transition goes super smoothly, and that your dd thrives at her new gym! BTW, I think it's really good you are waiting to tell them, so as not to disrupt training for States. It's killing you to hold it in, I'm sure, but you are being thoughtful of everyone there, good for you!

Just be confident in knowing you are doing the right thing for your dd, and know that she will make new friends, and will have a chance to be the gymnast she wants to be! :)

I think the gym moves sounds like it is very necessary and you both are in agreement which is great! Wishing her the best of luck at her new gym!! :D

Oh, VGM, I feel for you and your dd! ((((HHUUUGGSSS))))!!!!

My DD has had to change gyms more times than I would care to admit.

We've had two 'gym exits' that were not very amicable & were due to leaving for better coaching and/or technique. That was hard, I felt like such a traitor!
Even tho they weren't the best gym, they did put their time & energy into my dd, and they liked her a lot. It felt like a divorce!

Then there were the two times we moved out of state. Both of these times, dd loved the gym, and had made some wonderful friends. It broke my heart to tear her away from coaches and girls she had really gotten close to.

This last time we left a gym, she had only been there 6 weeks, and we left due to her health issues. But they don't know that dd does not want to go back there, if she decides to go back to gymnastics (due to a coach there that she was having big troubles with). I didn't say anything about him to the HC when we left, as I did not want to burn any bridges just yet! But if dd does go back to gymnastics, she will probably be with a different team. We will surely bump into this gym we just left, & it's going to be oh, so awkward! I guess at that point I'll have some "splainin' " to do, & will probably have to fess-up to the HC/Owner that the one coach there scared my dd! I hate these types of conversations, lol!!

So, you can at least comfort yourself, knowing that you are not even approaching our record, lol! I am sure no one here on CB has done the amount of gym changes that we have!

But seriously, if you want to chat, or need a shoulder, feel free to 'pm' me or e-mail me thru my cb contact page.

We are thinking of you, and hope the transition goes super smoothly, and that your dd thrives at her new gym! BTW, I think it's really good you are waiting to tell them, so as not to disrupt training for States. It's killing you to hold it in, I'm sure, but you are being thoughtful of everyone there, good for you!

Just be confident in knowing you are doing the right thing for your dd, and know that she will make new friends, and will have a chance to be the gymnast she wants to be! :)
I love that you threw in the word "splainin". Only a true Lucy fan would get that! I'm a Lucy fanatic!!

You're right..it does feel like a divorce. I've never been divorced before but I can see the comparison between the two. These girls are my daughter's best friends and I somehow feel like we are betraying them. I know they will understand though...Some of the mom's know what we have been struggling with and I know they only want the best for her. There are a couple in particular that I'm sure will be crushed, but they will come and support her next year at meets, I'm sure of it.

Thanks for your great words of encouragement. This the the fourth gyms for us in 7 years, but the one we have been at the longest (5 yrs)so it is the hardest to leave.

BTW... we are temporary west coasters but we are from TX too!

I love that you threw in the word "splainin". Only a true Lucy fan would get that! I'm a Lucy fanatic!!

You're right..it does feel like a divorce. I've never been divorced before but I can see the comparison between the two. These girls are my daughter's best friends and I somehow feel like we are betraying them. I know they will understand though...Some of the mom's know what we have been struggling with and I know they only want the best for her. There are a couple in particular that I'm sure will be crushed, but they will come and support her next year at meets, I'm sure of it.

Thanks for your great words of encouragement. This the the fourth gyms for us in 7 years, but the one we have been at the longest (5 yrs)so it is the hardest to leave.

BTW... we are temporary west coasters but we are from TX too!
Oh cool! Where are you from in TX? Any plans to come back?

VGM,

Your dd needs this move. There really is nothing for her if she stays where she is currently at. She needs to get those giants or there really is no advancement on bars for her.

It's great to hear that she is so excited about the move, I think she knows this is what she needs too.

GL and remember that there will probably be some trying times at the new gym, but tell her to stick with it and she will be a better gymnast in the end! :D

We did the same thing a few years ago and for the same reasons. It was very hard on everyone. Her first coach was really a terrific mentor and coach for my dd. It's very difficult when they've outgrown the gym they grew up in. The switch went ok. She was very sad, missing her friends but mostly missing her coach. The conditioning was upped quite a bit at her new gym and that took a while to get used to. It's a much larger gym and it made her nervous not to know anyone and she felt really lonely. Everyone there she thought had been there for years and younger kids knew harder skills that she'd never even heard of. She also had to re learn skills and that was frustrating too. During this time I spoke often with the coaches. I made sure she did all the extra's that the gym did outside of training like go to nationals with the team or holiday parties to get her to fit in . It took a lot of encouraging and we kept reminding ourselves why we did it, for her to move up levels she couldn't do at her former gym.

Now the good parts, she's really strong and looks great at meets. Next year she will be up a level and a strong competitor in her level. I'm slightly annoyed it took a year longer than expected but (that's another story) but for that reason I would advise you to make sure you spell out your dd's desires to the new hc and make sure your dd's expectations match that of the coaches. Now, She's says it was the best thing to do for her gymnastics and she's made some really good new friends. She can't imagine going anywhere else.

We've switched gyms 2 times and my daughter has only been doing gymnastics for 2.5 years. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to find the right place.

Our first gym, DD didn't care for and they were very driven to get level 4's training 20+ hours /week. Also, parents are not allowed to have contact with their children when they are at an away meet. As in away at a hotel. Oh know way was I going for that.

Gym # 2 one coach screamed at her all the time and the other coach belittled her and threatened to kick her off the developmental team because she was having difficulty climbing to the top of a 45 foot rope (she was 6 at the time).

Gym #3 she learned 1/2 of her level 4 skills in 6 weeks (she had been doing nothing but climbing that dreaded rope in gym#2). She moved on to Level 4 (from level 2 devo) and has struggled at level 4 but is flourishing now learning level 5 skills (in her level 4 class - season is over).

We're very happy where we are. Both gyms I gave no notice, just let them no we were done. The majority of the developmental kids from gym 2 followed us to gym 3 so DD has most of her friends back. She is flourishing and is getting quality coaching and is LOVING gymnastics more than ever.

If it is the right thing, you will not regret it. Make a fast clean break though. It never is well received. Just inform them (I called with gym 1, got yelled at, so just faxed letter with gym 2). I prefer thelatter method.

Good luck at your new gym.

Last edited:
I think that when you tell HC about leaving, I'd make sure to do it without your dd around. Things can get very awkward and in a lot of cases.. not very nice. Make sure that your dd has everything (grips, locker cleaned out, etc) before informing HC. That way if things get ugly there's no trip back to the gym to get the neccesary things left behind.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh cool! Where are you from in TX? Any plans to come back?

We are from the League City area, on the coast between Houston and Galveston. We lived about 10 min. from NASA and our older daughter (24) went to AcroSports Gymnastics. Yes, we are coming home someday, probably when younger dd graduates HS, in 2012. We have been here in CA for 9 years.
And oh boy... do we ever miss Blue Bell ice-cream!!! Can't get it out here.

VGM,

Your dd needs this move. There really is nothing for her if she stays where she is currently at. She needs to get those giants or there really is no advancement on bars for her.

It's great to hear that she is so excited about the move, I think she knows this is what she needs too.

GL and remember that there will probably be some trying times at the new gym, but tell her to stick with it and she will be a better gymnast in the end! :D

Bars have been so frustrating. Coach has been taking her one night a week to another gym to do bars, but it's just not enough. She has been doing a pirouette in place of giants and gets low 8's. She is sooo ready for giant's! The first time she gets a 9 on bars, we will have a celebration like never before:D

We are from the League City area, on the coast between Houston and Galveston. We lived about 10 min. from NASA and our older daughter (24) went to AcroSports Gymnastics. Yes, we are coming home someday, probably when younger dd graduates HS, in 2012. We have been here in CA for 9 years.
And oh boy... do we ever miss Blue Bell ice-cream!!! Can't get it out here.

YUMMM! We are loving Blue Bell! definitely better than anything we can get on the 'left coast', lol!

Good luck to you all, in your gym move and in life! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back