changing team structure

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi Everyone,

I recently was brought in as a new head team coach of the girls program. The team I'm taking over really lacks technique and probably all of the girls should be at least 1 level lower. I've been working with changing practice structure, what we're working on, etc.

I've also noticed that the progressive program (leading in to team) isn't be ran well and I hear the coaches giving incorrect descriptions of technique to girls all the time and not at all talking about body shapes. To fix this program I've tried to talk to the gym manager to take control of the training team and level 3 groups but have meet resistance. My gm is great but unfortunately completely new to the sport- so she doesn't see all the problems I do.

Any advice on how I can tackle this situtation?

ps the progress director is very stuck in her ways.

Why don't you offer to give some mini workshops on different topics, like once a month or so? They could be short and informative. You could cover technique, conditioning, body shapes or specific skills. Offer it in a friendly "share of information", not really "you are all doing it wrong!";)

Head coach of just compulsory and optionals or you the Team Director. If you are, everything under you is under you.

From the way I read your post, it sounds like you don't quite know what your role is in this gym, nor do you know what the goals of the gym are. I think you need to have a long talk with your owner/director (whichever one signs your paycheck) and get lots of questions answered and your role, responsibility and authority clearly defined (in writing maybe?). If your goals and those of the gym don't match and they are not willing to give your the authority to make the changes you see as needed then you are either going to have to compromise your standards to get them in line with the gym's or you need to look at another gym. You don't need to be confrontational in the way you make your requests, but I think you need to find out where you stand. Good luck - I hope you can work it out.

the problem is my gym isn't willing to pay the staff to attend these clinics therefore its extremely low in attendance. the gym just isn't willing to accept that what they are doing isn't working. i hate to but i'm going to have to leave there by the end of the summer.

the problem is my gym isn't willing to pay the staff to attend these clinics therefore its extremely low in attendance. the gym just isn't willing to accept that what they are doing isn't working. i hate to but i'm going to have to leave there by the end of the summer.

The gym not being willing to pay for clinic attendance really stands out to me. It's just as much a matter of personal interest in professional development as it is a business wanting qualified staff. To be clear, are you talking about employees wanting to be paid for the hours spent in class, or the cost of the clinics? Does the gym cover the cost, or offer to reimburse people who take it upon themselves to go? I could understand a gym not paying upfront if they are looking for self motivated staff. I can even understand delayed reimbursement for x amount of time employed if they've been burned by a high turnover rate.

Are the coaches who attend these clinics the ones in key coaching roles at the gym? If not, the lack of attendance may be more about a feeling of futility then compensation.

I would be patient, very patient, and tackle each issue as it comes. First, deal w/ the kids, then the parents. If you can start changes slowly, and earn the respect of your colleagues, bu what you DO, rather than what you SAY, I think you will see a change in attendance for the clinics.

Its human nature to pull back when someone says do it b/c I told you so. SHOW them how to coach & make corrections. Be enthusiastic & knowledgeable and keep learning yourself. If you have a break, go online & look for articles to be reading, then say something like "Wow, I just learned a new drill for ----- (fill in blank). I never knew that before. I'm gonna try it tonight!" ((or whatever fits). In short, MODEL what you want to see 1st, rather than tell. If you are respectful (YOU are the newcomer, whether you are the head coach or not) and patient you can grow this program. This is especially true if the other staff is older than you- that is another whole challenge!

If you think the kids & program are worth it, give it a try. It worked for me!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back