Parents Characteristics for TOPS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lilou

Proud Parent
Wondering what about a gymnast the coaches are looking for when they select girls to train TOPS. I've seen quite a few different levels train for it, some low and some higher. Some appear to have more flexibility than strength and vice versa. But in general, what do coaches look for when selecting girls to train TOPS?

Willingness to work and get the skills done is what my dd’s gym looks for... now if it was the previous gym my dd was at five years ago then age/size/flexibility was their guidelines which my dd was to old in their eyes at 6yrs to train TOPs. That gym’s TOPs developmental coach told me flat out that she didn’t see my dd being to obtain the giant skill on bars at age 8 when my kid was only 6yrs old.
Best decision ever on leaving that gym with such strict guidelines and btw my daughter not only has giants but circling skills that the previous gym’s kids can’t do.

Honestly, I have no idea. I do know they at least look at maturity, able to take corrections, and physical strength..... I'm sure you will get a lot of answers....good luck. Do you have a daughter that is training TOPS or would like to train TOPS. I have read on here, that a lot of gyms do extra training year round. Our gym, just kind of fits it in to practice, with making sure the girls can perform the skills for TOPS. We do condition everyday, but not TOPS condition. That all happens, when we finish state (April/May) and then its a month of madness getting the routines down, but again, the skills are already there. Mine is level 4 about to be 8, and has her BHS on beam (beautiful) , Chenko on vault (not pretty), back tucks, etc....for 8 yr old testing TOPS, and is working on giants, and pirouettes on bars. They uptrain all season to get and maintain the skills. She could have competed a higher level, but to me there was no rush....the others did go up a level and one jumped from 3 to 6.....but I'm good where she is, her current coach has a plan and I'm good. No matter where the journey takes her. As long as she happy.

Thanks for the insight! My daughter does not train TOPS but I've thought about inquiring about it, if it makes sense. But then again, it may not be an inquiring thing and coaches invite the girls only. It's just my daughter isn't satisfied with her conditioning and wants more. She wants to get stronger, push herself and learn more. This is a fairly recent thing for her (a few weeks) and she asked me if she could join TOPS at her gym.

Thanks for the insight! My daughter does not train TOPS but I've thought about inquiring about it, if it makes sense. But then again, it may not be an inquiring thing and coaches invite the girls only. It's just my daughter isn't satisfied with her conditioning and wants more. She wants to get stronger, push herself and learn more. This is a fairly recent thing for her (a few weeks) and she asked me if she could join TOPS at her gym.
Typically TOPS is invite at most gyms although some just have a program and all are welcome to train but might not compete. Ours is invite only.....

My 7 year old trains TOPS. She is very flexible, very strong, and listens and takes corrections well. The other girls in the group are also very strong and/or flexible, but not all are both. They all work very hard and are very focused. At this gym, the TOPS group is by invite-only, and their TOPS training is worked into their regular level 4 practices. They are a separate group from the other level 4s. At our previous gym, TOPS was the hour before practice and anyone who wanted to join could as long as they were willing to work hard.

Ask your gym/coaches. While it might be by invite, an interest can help.

I think I'll just let them know she's itching for more flexibility and conditioning and would like to be considered for TOPS should they think she's an appropriate fit for it. I know physically she could work toward those skills, but I wasn't sure what coaches look for in their personality or other characteristics that may or may not be my kid. Thanks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back