WAG Charleston Cup 2018

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CanAmGymMum

Coach
Proud Parent
Our club will be attending the Charleston Cup in South Carolina in February, 2018. Has anyone been to this meet? It looks like there are a few host hotels. Any hotel recommendations? Anything that we must have on our to do list? I'd love input from anyone who's been to the meet or lives in the area.

We went this year. Nice meet, well run. Assuming it is at the convention center again, there is an embassy suites attached that was very convenient.

We have been to this meet twice. It's a great meet! Some people choose to stay at Folly Beach and rent a house. We always stayed close to the meet but traveled downtown every evening for dinner. It is a very BIG meet. Take the time to visit historic downtown and eat at all the yummy restaurants!

We go almost every year. It is a very well organized meet. Our gymnasts like it because the judges are usually more lenient than in our home state, particularly at the lower levels. Not so much at L 9/10.

Embassy suites is attached to the hotel. We have never stayed there b/c I always end up waiting until just a few weeks before the meet to book it(I know, I know) and all the host hotels are gone. But Embassy Suites are usually very good so I wouldn't expect any less. Hyatt Place (love this place as it offers a large sitting area separate from the beds) is within walking distance of the convention center parking lot and an easy walk as long as it is not super cold. Same for Hilton Garden Inn, which is next to the arena, on the other side. There is a walking path. We have stayed at both of these. There are several other hotels in close proximity (but need to drive).

Attractions: check the coliseum, which is right next door to the meet. They often have a band or an event. We saw Cirque du Soleil there a couple years ago. Downtown Charleston is just beautiful to walk through. It is about 15-20 minutes away because of traffic. Some families and coaches choose to stay downtown and drive up to the meet. There is a straw market that we like to browse through every time we go but also a lot of little shops. Oh and across from the convention center is an outlet mall with many of the big name stores.

Check out historic Charleston, the waterfront area and Battery Park- all beautiful! Bring quarters for metered parking. Several historic churches, houses and buildings and lots of good local restaurants.

Charles town landing, aquarium, walk through the market, ft sumter, uss yorktown/patriot's point, battery park, ft moultrie (tiny), carriage rides, beach. just check what's open beforehand because of time of year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back