Parents Checking in

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

msl529

Hello CB pals,

It's been a while since I posted on dd's switch to T&T so here's the latest:

Summer was pretty mellow w/ respect to practices, she was in & out due to traveling, etc. Now they are all officially back on schedule and she is settling back into the gym routine.

We did go to the VISA champs, and she had a moment of regret, after watching all the glam and glory of the WAG stuff, vs. the dark, boring venue that USAG chose for T&T. Can I just vent & say I don't think USAG gives much more than a rat's tail about the 'other' gymnastics disciplines? We were only at Day 3 of T&T, & it was not that exciting, but I heard that the other days were fun & cool to watch.

After a a few days back at T&T practice, she's back to being really happy w/ her choice to move out of artistic. She is happy w/ less hours (only 6/wk), loves her coach (her fave of all she's had from the past 4 years, he's a really good fit for her), comes home happy w/ her progress instead of full of drama about this or that skill that she is struggling w/. Also, her coach really tuned-in to her wrist probs and has worked w/ her on strengthening them. Surprisingly enough, his idea is to try ditching the tiger paws (which she used for tumbling) and giving her wrists a chance to get stronger. I was skeptical at first, but she has been pain-free for several practices now, without using any tiger paws, and not having to cut back on any tumbling. Yay!

She is working on the L6 Tramp routine, I'm not sure what on double mini but it looks fun, and she has some sort of series of BHS's & whips on tumbling. Her fave is tramp. The routines are hard to do correctly, but she says she just loves bouncing-away all evening! The challenge w/ tumbling is that they do quite a few tricks in a row down the tumbling strip, and getting the rythm of that, after only doing 2 or 3 tricks in a row w/ artistic, is scary. But she is getting there.

She does miss the artistry & music that comes w/ floor , but we may try to fill that void w/ a dance class if the schedule allows at some point. She is SO glad to be done w/ bars, doesn't miss it one bit. I hadn't realized how much it was really bothering her last year to be stuggling w/ it so much. She also does not seem to miss beam all that much either.

I think competitions don't start 'til January, so I am sitting here missing all the excitement & preparation of Fall Compulsory season that we'd been living the past 4 years! :( But she's happy, so I am too!

Hope you are all doing well, and that your dd's & ds's are having a great time w/ all their gym & other activites.

Bye! :)

So glad to hear that things are going well for her!!! Can't wait to see her T&T videos. We have some high level T&Ters at DDs gym and they bounce so high on that tramp, wow. My daughter loves to watch them. :) Interesting on the tiger paws. I am actually trying to get my daughter to do daily wrist exercises at home because she has tiny wrists and they hurt sometimes when she does tons of BHSs. Great to see the coach doing that!!

Wonderful to hear how well things are going for her, it sounds like the T&T will be a great fit. I know my girls just love their tramp routines and can spend hours doing them. What skills are in L6 there. IS T&T in the US like here, as in you can compet at different levels on different apparatus? I do love that and I think it's be fun for gymnastics to be like that.

Our season doesn't start until Jan/Feb either, it is so bizarre to see everyone off competing when we haven't evne got floor routines yet!

My oldest has had a month off gym as she gave her achilles a good tweak at Gymrep and was in agony. She will likely stick to her 9 hours a week this year, a good fit for school, socail and her body. Littlest has been training most of summer, she has her flyaway and is so close to her kip her coaches are bsically saying she has it, but she doesn't!!! If she doesn't get it she will be a 9 hours a week girls and compete the same level as last year, if she does get it she could choose to go up to Provincial level gym and train more hours. I can't say that I am totally into that as I am enjoying having more life at home with them. The Fall/WInter/spring goes so fast with school, gym, dark nights and snow. I love the pace of summer, in fact I could live like this year round.

Hope the rest of life is going well.

What skills are in L6 there. IS T&T in the US like here, as in you can compet at different levels on different apparatus? I do love that and I think it's be fun for gymnastics to be like that.

Yes, in the US, you can compete different levels on the different apparati (sp?) w/ T&T. Still no formal decisions as to what all dd will do, at what level. They've got a few months yet to work that all out.

Had to ask dd what the L6 tramp skills were, since I have no clue. The routine goes like this: Back pike, tuck jump, back tuck jump, seat drop, 1/2 turn-up, airplane, pike jump, front pike.

Sorry your older dd hurt her ankle, hope it heals well! Sounds like the am't of hrs she's going to gym will be good. They do need time for social at this age, and if their bodies are feeling the stress, it's nice not to have to push too much.

Sounds like your little dd is doing great! Hopefully she'll end up doing whatever program works best for her & your family life. I am sure you are missing ds, he went off to college, right?

I too, love the pace of Summer, but am so glad Fall is coming. It's Summer on steroids here in the TX heat! Just one crisp, cool night would do me so much good, but alas, I think we have a couple of months to go before we get that...

Hey msl!!! Sounds like dd is making the switch to T&T pretty smoothly. I know what you mean about the feelings of regret sometimes--Dani is going through that a little with the cheer. We decided to quit because it was starting to take up too much time and the schedules were just going to be too much to juggle come January when comp season starts. But as soon as she gets back in the gym for gymnastics, her smile is a mile wide! She has started wanting to get back into playing around at home on the floor beam and experimenting with some choreography and moves and stuff.

We don't really have too many T & T programs around us so it will be cool to see your dd's videos of her comps!!! The important thing is that SHE is happy and not stressed. And that is so awesome that her wrist is getting better WITHOUT the Tigerpaws! Sounds like she has a very observant and caring coach!!!

Now that summer is over for us and camp is done, we are settling into the new routine of things for school (the kids go back on the 31st). Dani gets her full floor and beam choreography on Friday so she is very excited to see it all put together!!!
I am sure January and competition season will be here before you know it!!!

Hey msl!!! Sounds like dd is making the switch to T&T pretty smoothly. I know what you mean about the feelings of regret sometimes--Dani is going through that a little with the cheer. We decided to quit because it was starting to take up too much time and the schedules were just going to be too much to juggle come January when comp season starts. But as soon as she gets back in the gym for gymnastics, her smile is a mile wide! She has started wanting to get back into playing around at home on the floor beam and experimenting with some choreography and moves and stuff.

We don't really have too many T & T programs around us so it will be cool to see your dd's videos of her comps!!! The important thing is that SHE is happy and not stressed. And that is so awesome that her wrist is getting better WITHOUT the Tigerpaws! Sounds like she has a very observant and caring coach!!!

Now that summer is over for us and camp is done, we are settling into the new routine of things for school (the kids go back on the 31st). Dani gets her full floor and beam choreography on Friday so she is very excited to see it all put together!!!
I am sure January and competition season will be here before you know it!!!
So excited for your Dani. Sounds like she is having a great time w/ gym! Share some vids of her new routines when you can!

I can't wait to see video, too. She's going to have a lot of fun competing. Our first meet is in December and I'm already excited. Did you get to watch the juniors compete T&T at Visa's? My daughter competed against Shaylee Dunavin and Tristan VanNatta this summer and they were both there. I think they placed in the top 3 in at least one event.

Oh msl, I am so happy for your DD and for you!!!! Sounds like T&T is going to be a great fit for her! When a child is happy, less stressed & has a great coach...all is right with the world in my book,LOL! Sounds like your DD is enjoying her new adventure & getting lots of good coaching! I'm soooo excited for her! Thanks for the update!!! Can't wait to see some T&T vids of her! Good luck on this new & exciting adventure:D! Please remember to keep us posted. I can't wait to hear all about her competitions. She's gonna be a T&T star!!!!:D

Great to hear that she's happy with her decision. I can't wait to hear about how her first meet goes! Beth doesn't start competing until January either--it's such a long time to wait!

Did you get to watch the juniors compete T&T at Visa's? My daughter competed against Shaylee Dunavin and Tristan VanNatta this summer and they were both there. I think they placed in the top 3 in at least one event.

Thanks! No, we missed the T&T Juniors. We went to day 3 (and we had no idea what events they were going to compete, we just went to T&T earlier in the day, since we were headed to WAG later in the afternoon). All they had were a handful of power tumbling & tramp competitors (Logan Dooley was there, so I guess that's Seniors?). No double mini, or synchro tramp. :( It was combined w/ acro & rhythmic, so we saw a lot of that, which was fun. Oh well, maybe we'll get to see some more fun competitions come this Winter! Good luck to your dd this Winter, keep me posted! :)

Amen to that, sister!!

How is your dd doing? :)
Hi msl! My DD is doing well, thanks for asking:). She's training L8 this summer, but I have a hunch she'll compete L7. You guessed it...fear issues. She seems happy, not stressed or frustrated though . She's been busy with her team mates all summer, in & out of the gym, having a grand ol'time(as kids should be, IMHO:D). So life is good here too! Isn't it nice to be able to say that??? Lets enjoy this while we can:D.

Good to hear from you!!!! Glad your DD is doing well! Hope you guys had a great summer in the big Texas....We switched gyms (never would of thought) in July....our coach went to a new one....so we followed. J is starting homeschool so she can go more hours...crazy huh...(i think so).. hopefully just for 1 year until she gets into middle school. Well I can't wait to see some T & T videos....at Eagles wings there is a coach there who I think made the national team...her name is Amy Mcdonald...she is amazing to watch!!! Looks like lots of fun!!!

:)

Good to hear from you!!!! Glad your DD is doing well! Hope you guys had a great summer in the big Texas....We switched gyms (never would of thought) in July....our coach went to a new one....so we followed. J is starting homeschool so she can go more hours...crazy huh...(i think so).. hopefully just for 1 year until she gets into middle school. Well I can't wait to see some T & T videos....at Eagles wings there is a coach there who I think made the national team...her name is Amy Mcdonald...she is amazing to watch!!! Looks like lots of fun!!!

:)
Great to hear from YOU, kcw! I have been wondering how your dd is doing. Hope she likes her new digs and that she thrives there. Homeshcooling seems inevitable if you want to be L6/7 or higher at a good gym here in TX, so I hope you all fare well thru that! What level is she training/competing?

It's been Summer on Steroids here in Dallas, but we survived. We are talking about escaping next Summer to maybe CO or something, so we don't have to stay indoors w/ the A/C and go crazy like we did this year!

I think I may have seen Amy Mc Donald on Tramp. The Nat'l Team people sure fly high on that apparatus! DD said it was scarier than watching beam. A few of the top performers even fell, and it's not pretty when they fall on tramp, eek! :0

She is suppose to Level 8....she's pretty much has all her skills, but still vaulting into the pit. I'm sure hoping it will be a good year. I think this will be the make it or break it year....lol...I'm already tired of running back and forth to the gym...

She is suppose to Level 8....she's pretty much has all her skills, but still vaulting into the pit. I'm sure hoping it will be a good year. I think this will be the make it or break it year....lol...I'm already tired of running back and forth to the gym...
Good for her! Hope she does great, keep us posted! How far do you have to drive? Sometimes this Dallas-area traffic is crazy!

it's a half hour one way.....she is going to gym at 7 a.m. until 11 a.m. School 1130-300 and then back to the gym 330-530. We are carpooling with another family who's daughter is going to the same school with J... so he takes and picks up at 5:30... right now I've been doing the in middle times..which is 2 hours total out of my day..ugh...

Hey There! Thanks for the update! It seems like Summer has flown by doesnt it? I think T & T sounds like the perfect fit for your DD. I hope you continue to keep us updated. You are right, us USAG gals don't understand the full workings of T & T! I would love to see some video and learn more about it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back