Members see FEWER ads

mom2kazkids

Proud Parent
Found this out on NBC Olympics:
Memmel reveals broken ankle

Posted Wednesday, August 13, 2008 4:25 AM ET
208485_m11.jpg
Getty Images
Chellsie Memmel, U.S.A, competes on the uneven bars during the final round of team competition at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

BEIJING (AP) - Chellsie Memmel ankle injury was worse than anyone realized.
Memmel said after the U.S. women won the silver medal in team gymnastics Wednesday that she'd been competing with a broken bone in her right ankle. The 2005 world gymnastics champion hurt the ankle during training Aug. 4, but competed on uneven bars in both the preliminaries and the team finals.
"I have mixed emotions," she said. "I would have loved to compete on four events, but the silver medal for my team is great."
After missing much of the last two years with a devastating shoulder injury, Memmel became one of the feel-good stories of the summer when she finished behind reigning world champ Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin at both the national championships and Olympic trials. She missed the 2004 Olympics with a foot injury.
The Americans expected to put Memmel up on all four events during qualifying, but that became impossible after she hurt her ankle. She was still able to do uneven bars, though, because it doesn't put much pressure on the ankle, and the Americans badly needed her score on the event. Memmel won the world title on bars in 2003, and has one of the most difficult routines in the world.
"I just had to believe in myself and know that I could do it," she said. "That's exactly what I did."

Barb

Thank you, Mom2. I had not seen this. I am apalled that they kept her in, but it doesn't surprise me one bit. It seems to me the US women were only going to win the Gold by a long shot anyway. They won Silver, which was just fine, and an honor in my humble opinion, so it was a bit of a waste to keep Chellsie there w/ a broken bone.

What kind of messsages are the higher-ups in USAG sending to the younger USAG gymnasts that are up & coming, maybe looking at Elite in a few years? It's more important to win GOLD no matter what shape your body is in? We (USAG) do not care about your health, only about winning? Personally, I think there should be a rule that disqualifies a gymnast if they are diagnosed with a fracture in any limb or joint.

99% of Chellsie's comments are about herself, and how she got to participate, and she got to be an Olympian.

Whatever....

I am sure there was NO WAY Chellsie would have given up her spot, and I'm sure she was part of the discussion. She was walking w/ out any limp- so obviously she could compete on bars. I am so glad she got her chance given 2004 and how hard she has worked to get to the olympics.

She is an adult, she decided to compete and did her job. These athletes work way too hard for too long to get to the Olympics and not compete if they possibly can. I think they are allowed to focus on themselves and live their dream considering on what they ahve sacrificed to get to the games! Also its not like she has next time- I'm sure this is it for her!

They were beaten by the chinese- the chinese were better and there is no shame in that. They won a silver medal in the Olympics- I think its appalling that people think that is not exciting!

I Applaud Chellsie

I didn't know she had a broken ankle and applaud her for sacrificing her body for the sake of the team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back