WAG Chellsie is out from Worlds

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2kazkids

Proud Parent
Chellsie Memmel withdraws from Worlds selection camp

From Universal Sports

HUNTSVILLE, Texas -– 2008 Olympic team silver-medalist Chellsie Memmel of West Allis, Wis., has withdrawn from the final selection process for the U.S. Team for the 2009 World Championships, Oct. 13-15, in London, England. Memmel, a former world champion, has been working her way back into competitive gymnastics after ankle surgery in late 2008.

“I have run out of time, and I am not quite where I want to be gymnastics-wise,â€￾ said Memmel, who is coached by her father, Andy. “I haven’t been able to do the number of routines and repetitions that I need to represent the USA at the highest level. Also, I thought this would make it easier for Martha and the selection committee in naming the team, because we have so many talented gymnasts who deserve the chance to go to London. My Dad and I met with Martha, and she is very supportive of this decision.

“I am going home and will spend the time getting my routines ready for next year.â€￾

From Universal Sports

HUNTSVILLE, Texas -– 2008 Olympic team silver-medalist Chellsie Memmel of West Allis, Wis., has withdrawn from the final selection process for the U.S. Team for the 2009 World Championships, Oct. 13-15, in London, England. Memmel, a former world champion, has been working her way back into competitive gymnastics after ankle surgery in late 2008.

“I have run out of time, and I am not quite where I want to be gymnastics-wise,â€￾ said Memmel, who is coached by her father, Andy. “I haven’t been able to do the number of routines and repetitions that I need to represent the USA at the highest level. Also, I thought this would make it easier for Martha and the selection committee in naming the team, because we have so many talented gymnasts who deserve the chance to go to London. My Dad and I met with Martha, and she is very supportive of this decision.

“I am going home and will spend the time getting my routines ready for next year.â€￾

Last edited by a moderator:
no way not another good gymnast world team does not have any good people left really there is ivanna and bridget i think

That's too bad :( I think it's really honest and brave of them to bow out if they don't feel they are ready though. I agree that it does give rising talent a chance to shine, we may discover a new gymnastics star! Any word on Mattie Larson's possible attendance? I havn't seen her site updated with that info, wondering if I'm missing something. I think she's fabulous and would love to see her there.

Chellsie is a trickster who has gradually lost all her tricks when she left Chudy. Now her gymnastics is just boring and sloppy. Not to mention she is so often injured, probably because she is out of shape and then looses a horrendous amount of weight in a short period of time. There really wasn't a place from her on this team to begin with given her lack of good preparation. Sure she deserves some respect for sticking it out this long, I'll give her that.

I find it offensive to say that there are no good gymnasts left; Williams, Hong, Sloan and Bross are all great gymnast. Yes they have their faults too, but they are far more enjoyable than Memmel imho. Just because they don't have a lot of hard wear between them yet, doesn't mean they are no good. Look at the 2005 world’s team, they were never considered to be that great at that point in time.
It's nice that she is bowing out, but I think it has a lot to do with saving face as well. I think she saw the writing on the wall.

Linsel - Larson was out of selection after the first camp, as you had to be there, if you wanted any chance of further selection. I think she is still recovering from the injury.

Mattie was still rehabbing after surgery on her ankle. I think the USA still have some lovely gymnasts to send. But perhaps the new code and the ranch combined are hard on a body.

What do you think about TOPS versus no TOPS and therefore slower progressions? Does it produce or delete the talent?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back