Parents Chicago Style Meet - any suggestions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kmc

Proud Parent
Looking for your input. Even though we live close to Chicago, this will be the first year DD will be attending the Chicago Style meet. The JO program at our gym has always gone, but DD is Xcel so this is the first year she can go. She is very excited!

We are planning to make a weekend of it (and DD competes Friday, so we really will have a nice weekend). Does anyone have any suggestions of things we should do or see at the meet? Anything we should avoid? Any tips to make things easier? We know downtown pretty well, but would also love to hear if there is anything you enjoy doing in the city while you are there. DD is 12, if that helps.

Thanks so much!

Use the hotel shuttles to make your way to and from Navy Pier. There is a lot to do on the Pier besides the meet, so check that out too. Lincoln Park Zoo isnt far and is free and fun. If it's clear, visit the lookout at Sears/Willis Tower or the top floor of the Hancock Bldg (there is a restaurants -- The Signature Room -- and an observation level).

Water Tower (not the mall) is interesting to see inside.

American Girl store is more fun that you'd think if you have any interest in history. We do, so enjoyed looking at all the display cases on the ground floor.

Aquarium and Planetaruim are also just down Lakeshore Dr (near Soldier Field) -- if you do the aquarium, try to see the dolphin show.

What @Seeker said!!

Plus, it is Chicago in Feb so dress for the bitter cold coming off the lake. The last year we were there it was minus 6 before the wind chill. Don't let it stop you, just bundle up.

You can't do Chicago without some Chicago-style deep-dish pizza. Our hands-down favorite is Gino's East. You might have to wait to get in the door, but it is worth the wait. And the Chicago mix popcorn - outstanding!

Remember, it is a HUGE meet, but very well organized. Allow enough time to get to Navy Pier and then to get to the actual meet site on the Pier.

We went last year and it was really fun! We aren't from somewhere cold, so it was exciting to be in a big storm even though it was the day my daughter competed. The thing my daughter talks about the most and I saw that it will be there again this year is free massages at the meet. On the far side of the gym they had a massage and chiropractic school set up with massage tables and chairs, probably 20 tables and 10 chairs. They gave free 15 minute massages and you could wait in line and go as many times as you wanted. We spent about 2 hours there. They weren't allowed to accept tips either. A group of us went to high tea at the Drake hotel. That was fun and kind of big cityish. You have to reserve in advance. We also did the usual Willis Tower, AG store, etc. My husband went to the Natural History Museum when we were at tea and liked it. It wasn't close to the hotel, but the Discovery Science Center was awesome. It was kind of a pricey cab ride. We walked to the Navy Pier from the host hotel one day to watch, but the day my daughter competed took a cab as we didn't want to wait for the shuttle. The cab was $10. I didn't think there was much to do at the Navy Pier, but eat junk.

Navy Pier is fun in the summer (Centennial Wheel, boat tours/cruises on the lake, fireworks, and a few other attractions), though usually isn't an all-day thing in itself. It's best when paired with an event on the pier... is there much going on in the winter? I would have never though to check it out in winter. I agree it's something to see/do, we visit annually. :)

I second all of the museum/aquarium recommendations. And they participate in reciprocity for free/reduced admission for those with other memberships to participating museums if you're 100mi+ or so outside of Chicago.

Went last year and it was freezing......but this was by far the best travel meet.....food was great, lots of walking around. Went to the Hancock tower with the whole crew.....lots of fun.... Eataly was awesome!!!! The bean....great town....lots of fun....
Oh yeah, the met was great too.

All of the above, plus be sure to go to the Ghiradelli store (on the Magnificent Mile near Water Tower Place + American Girl, etc) for some amazing, decadent hot cocoa! This was a highlight for my teenage girls on a freezing, snowy day in Chicago. :) It's a great meet, have fun!

(Also, at the meet: look in the vendor area for previous years' Chicago Style leos for sale for cheap. My DD says they are the most comfy leos to wear to practice.) And my DD met Natalia Yurchenko (creator of the Yurchenko vault) at a vendor booth last year. It was the coolest thing ever.

Michigan ave has a lot of stores. They call it the Magnificent Mile. I think they have like over 60 stores so that could be fun for the older girls (teenagers)

Thank you all so much! I'll show DD your suggestions and let her pick what she would like to do. And I've been dying to try Eately, so we'll make sure to go there.

Did any of you go watch any of the other sessions like the Level 10/Elite? Was thinking about doing this on Saturday night.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back