Parents Chicago Style Meet Report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Beetle and I are home from Chicago.. and whew! Are we thankful for a week off before her next meet!

We had a 8:00 am Friday meet time.. We drove down to Chicago on Thrusday night. Rolled into the hotel at about 8:00, after an 8 hour drive. The drive was fine with the exception of one 6 mileback up due to an accident and the fact that my car's heat is malfunctioning.. The heat is always on... and I mean ALWAYS.. We had to drive with the window cracked most of the way.. I think I need a new car LOL...

So after a restless nights sleep in the hotel (complete wiht a room next to the elevators.. ) We got to the meet at 7:40.. What a venue.. it was great so much going on at once! I loved it! For the first time this season she did NOT start on beam!! they started on Floor.. now last week Beetle turned on the jets and got 2 new tumbling passes.. RO/BHS Full and a half.. and Front Through to FHS to Front Tuck. They were looked so nice that her coach put them in this meet. Needless to say I wasnt sure what to expect. I could tell she was a little nervous for her first pass since she wasnt as clean leading up to it.. But she nailed all her passes.. Score.. 8.8.. good enough for 6th Place!

Vault.. During warm ups she was tenative on her run and block.. She would land and rub her knees.. (She has been having a little tendonitis) During competition She was slow on her first vault and stepped backward.. her second was better, not quite as strong as last weeks, but a decent score 8.375 - no place

Bars.. during warm up she didnt get a single pirouette over the bar.. she was visably frustrated.. During her routine she had a nice cast.. turned the pirouette correctly and even looked like she glided through (normally she taps her feet..) A few degrees short of handstand but nailed her flyaway.. Score 8.125.. we were all shaking our heads about that score, even her coach thought it was low.. it was good enough for 6th place.

Finally Beam.. Beetle normally loves beam but this year it has been a struggle.. She still looked a little tenative, bent knees on her BHS & BWO and didnt get connection value.. Score.. 8.325 - but still placed 5th..

All around 33. 65 Good enough for 5th place.. She is inching up her AA score every week.. This was a nice meet, she left with lots of medals, no one score or routine was above and beyond what she has been doing but they are all coming together and climbing the laddder!!

Then we were free to enjoy the rest of our weekend in Chicago,, we did some shopping, had some great food.. and the exciting part.. we got to Meet Chalk Bucket's own Granny Smith and her Darling Daughter!! It was great fun to put faces to the names and posts!

Gosh- Wish I had been on the bucket more often before the meet, We were there on friday as well at 12:30 in the Lake Shore gym. Posted results on another thread but wish I had known you guys were there. Congrats to Beetle on a great meet and glad to hear that you guys had fun while you were in town. Where did you stay? Did you have a chance to visit Michigan Avenue?

We didn't find out our meet time until 2 days before the meet so we just drove in for the day, but we stayed and had dinner at Bubba Gumps after to let traffic clear. We live about 1.25 hours west of Chicago so it wasn't too big a deal. But I sure wish we had known you were there, oh well maybe next time.:(

Sounds as though she had a great meet with tough judging. Isn't it nice to see improvements at each meet. Isn't it nice not to start on beam? Glad to hear the bars are coming together for her.

I think you need break from meets, not new car! SOunded like a fun meet with a CB encounter too.

As for that hotel room thing, I hear ya. When I have a hotel room booked I send an email the week before that requests "a room on a high floor, as far away from the ice machine, elevator and stairwell as possible. Also please don't put us near a hockey team". It works great for us, though once we got put next to the ice machine, so I made sign for the door that said "out of order"!!!

Great job. Sounds like a fun meet (minus the am start time). Tell her great job and keep up the good work!

Wow on her putting those new passes in for this meet so soon after getting them. These girls never cease to amaze me! I think she is doing wonderful! Glad she had fun!

~!~!CONGRATULATIONS!~!~ to Beetle! It is so rewarding to see the scores continue to climb!

I'm hoping to be lucky at Bean's meet this coming weekend, and get to meet a chalk bucketer also!

Gosh- Wish I had been on the bucket more often before the meet, We were there on friday as well at 12:30 in the Lake Shore gym. Posted results on another thread but wish I had known you guys were there. Congrats to Beetle on a great meet and glad to hear that you guys had fun while you were in town. Where did you stay? Did you have a chance to visit Michigan Avenue?

We didn't find out our meet time until 2 days before the meet so we just drove in for the day, but we stayed and had dinner at Bubba Gumps after to let traffic clear. We live about 1.25 hours west of Chicago so it wasn't too big a deal. But I sure wish we had known you were there, oh well maybe next time.:(

I wish we would have been in contact! We were still at the meet during your session, we watched our level 7's for a while.. They must have been at your session! I probably saw your DD but didnt know it! Next time, right?

We stayed at the Sheraton on Water Street. We did go down Michigan Ave Saturday afternoon for a while. Did some shopping, actually didn't do too much damage to the Credit Cards! I think I spent more on Breakfast and parking at the hotel LOL.

I have family that lives in Chicago, my cousin and his wife live in Wrigleyville. She is a former L9 Gymnast and a Brown University gymnast. They were able to come to the meet and we hung out with them for the evening.

I think we are planning on doing this meet again next year. We will plan to meet next time!

Hi! I already knew how Beetle did, but it's still fun to read reports!

I'll be posting dd's sometime this morning, still trying to get caught up from over the weekend!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back