chiropractic care?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter has been seeing a chiropractor for quite some time. She started last Dec. when nagging back pain from the summer wouldn't go away. After several visits that chiropractor suggested more tests as her spine was aligned but she still had pain. She had xrays, bone scan, and MRI but nothing of note was found. After 2 months of PT back to a different chiropractor. This guy specializes in deep tissue massage. He feels her hips are too tight and pull her on back. After 3-4 months of seeing him she has less pain but also hasn't done much gymnastics at all. She definitely feels great when she leaves there.

So bottom line is I guess it depends on the problem and the chiropractor. I have learned that there is a lot more to back pain than the back. Hips, feet, knees, ankles, abs....

Good luck.

I guess you could say I've always been skeptical of chiropractic care. My mom took me once when I was little after a minor car accident and the experience of having my neck adjusted kind of scarred me for life!

Anyway, my husband goes for back pain and loves it. So when I woke 2 weeks ago with muscles spasms so bad I went to the ER the chiropractor was suggested. I've been going every other day for about 2 weeks and it has helped. I'm almost pain free expect for some pain my neck (I won't let him adjust my neck).

Last night I took dd to my appointment and she sees a baby and a 3 year old get adjusted. Chiropractor mentions that it would be good for her too with her gymnastics and he had time to check her out. She's all into it! He checked her spine and adjusted her a bit and of course she said it felt great etc....

She's not having any pain so I don't think there's any reason to continue care. Why would parents have their children adjusted anyway? He takes care of a high level gymnast form dd's former club and she credits him in a recent newspaper article for her success. I guess that made me wonder if lots of gymnasts went to chiropractors too.

Our gym has a chiropractor that comes in each week. (parental approval obviously required ahead of time!). Beth loves it so far.

Our gym has a chiropractor that comes in each week. (parental approval obviously required ahead of time!). Beth loves it so far.

This seems odd to me. I wouldn't want a doctor making weekly visits to the gym (if needed it's a sign something is not working), so why weekly chiropractic visits?

No my children have not received chiro care, I do not beleive adjustments of the spine or neck are indicated for children. They both have been the a physiotherapist qualified in sports injury care for various issues.

Under 18yo should NEVER have any "adjustments" to the spine. It scares me this DC would even think to do anything to a 3yo or infant. Do you feel good after a massage? Sure. Thats really all a DC offers---high end massages.
And...they are outside the scope of their practice if they do anything to a body part other than the back. They ARE NOT trained to treat knees, ankles, head injuries etc.

I went to a chiropractor after a car accident recently-the doc sent me there & to massage.

The massage was way more helpful. And it is so easy for a spine adjustment to go wrong. I'd be extremely leery of anyone who thinks they can do that to a child safely.

(And that isn't even getting into the philosophy behind chiropractic, which is kind of messed up-it's all about subluxations-partial dislocations-of the spine being the problem, and if you think about that, that isn't even something you can DO without it being an obvious *medical* problem)

/soapbox

no torqueing of spine or neck.

A with most replys from you this offers nothing to the conversation, but it seems you must reply to every thread.

Chiropratic care IMO is neccesary for any athlete where falls, hard hits or jarring are involved. Some don't believe in chiro care but results speak for themselves.

But i also think because of the flexibility, stretching and frequency of workouts required in gymnastics that it is not as likely to need chiro care as some other sports.

As with anything there are some that are much better than others. Don't choose a Chiro based on the convenient location. Get references from customers that have been "fixed", meaning they don't have to regularly go back. You will find some people who go weekly or monthly and swear their chiro is the best. But as someone else stated that is kinda the massage effect. And find out if they are regularly treating athletes or middle age people who aren't flexible enough to touch their knees but want their back to quit hurting.

okay, i slapped my hand. i guess i won't get a "like".

then to clarify and further offer nothing to the conversation as with most of my replies but feel that i must reply to every thread, GYMNASTS should not have their backs or spines torqued.

furthermore, and to offer nothing to the conversation as with most of my replies but feel that i must reply to every thread, i have NEVER stated that Chiro care is bad for you. in fact, Chiro care can be good for you. And so can several other medical disciplines that take care of an athletes physical health.

i have only stated, and will continue to state, in furtherance of offering nothing to the conversation as with most of my replies but feel that i must reply to every thread, GYMNASTS should not have their spines and necks torqued given the torqueing that is already in play in a gymnast's movement on a DAILY basis and is not recommended and not just my opinion.

that is all. have a nice day.:)

I wouldn't consider it for a child, or for myself, and am confused as to why an infant would need chiropractic care. I'm skeptical of the field as a whole, the whole process kind of freaks me out (but so does massage, so I'm probably not the best judge). My dad who has chronic neuropathy as well as other health concerns, particularly some relating to the spine, and the stories I heard about the care and service received were enough to turn me off the process if I weren't already doubtful. It just sounded like a bunch of scams going on to make as money and offer as much false hope as possible. But I suppose as with any healthcare provider who you see makes a world of difference.

There are several chiropracters who specialize in athletes including gymnasts. Find one of those. We mainly took my DD for a really good massage from the massage therapist who works in the office. The chiropracters we used mainly treated minor subluxations of the wrist and ankle. And they were quick to refer us to an orthopedist for any bone and joint issues.

I wouldn't consider it for a child, or for myself, and am confused as to why an infant would need chiropractic care. I'm skeptical of the field as a whole, the whole process kind of freaks me out (but so does massage, so I'm probably not the best judge). My dad who has chronic neuropathy as well as other health concerns, particularly some relating to the spine, and the stories I heard about the care and service received were enough to turn me off the process if I weren't already doubtful. It just sounded like a bunch of scams going on to make as money and offer as much false hope as possible. But I suppose as with any healthcare provider who you see makes a world of difference.

I felt very similar before I found a "legit" chiro who knew what they were doing. My younger brother has cronic neck pain and after trying everything else he went to a chiro who ended up being a complete wacko! But the guy kept insisting he could fix my brother. It has been 20 years and my brother still won't even talk about the possibilty of seeing a chiro. The group I go to and my children have all visited is legit. Professional athletes (NFL, NBA, MLB etc..) use them daily and pay them to fly to their cities for a game weekend along with a massage therapist. He looks at the entire body alignment not just the back and neck.

Some people just won't go because it sounds crazy and I get that, I used to think the same way. But I feel like there is a huge benefit for a gymnast and other athletes. I wish I had access to one when I was a competing athlete.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not planning on taking dd back for treatment as of now. Simply, I just don't think she needs it as she's not in any pain. It's also not free. I honestly don't know enough about it to feel secure in a decision.

I can say that the chiro helped me tremendously. I'm now pain free. Of course he still wants me to keep up with treatment. Not sure how much I want to go.

I got almost all the way through Chiropractic school, before having to come home, but I would like to clarify a couple things in this thread. Chiropractic care is meant to keep the nervous system healthy in order to prevent major dysfunction, thats why it is done when nothing seems to be wrong. Babies and children do need to be adjusted, just like adults do. Sometimes especially babies if there has been a traumatic birth. I took my month old baby to a pediatric chiropractor when I noticed he was only turning his head to the left. It helped dramatically. Finally, chiropractors are trained to adjust all joints in the body, not just the back and neck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back