Chows, Iowa, threatened by floods

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It seems that Chows gym, where Shawn Johnson trains is being seriously threatened by flooding. The first link will take you to a news article, the second to a video of Coach Chow and the gym being stripped bare by parents and gymnasts.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...nson-gym_N.htm

http://gannett.a.mms.mavenapps.net/m...ject=769761593

My heart goes to the Chow's gym family, as well as all the people living in theses flood affected areas. Coach Chow seems like a really genuine, caring man.

My heart goes out to them all as well. The midwest has really gone through it this last week with the storms, tornadoes & flooding. I really am so impressed by the parents that unselfishly came and gave their time to help the gym out. That was awesome!

Great to see everyone helping out...best of luck to them. This weather is getting a little crazy.

Hope everything works out for the best for the gym and Shawn. This has been a very tough summer weather wise already. I'm sure Shawn wants to stay in her own gym to practice, but am sure they are getting offers from other gyms that would be more than willing to let her and her coach come and practice.

We live in Omaha, NE. The weather has been CRAZY!! Tornadoes, floods, you name it. Chow is an awesome guy....totally down to earth. It is so great that all the people are pitching in to help out!

Flooding in a gym is never fun at all. My gym recently had a sprinkler head malfunction and it caused the gym to flood. We had about 3 inches of water throughout the entire gym and 3 feet of water in our foam pit--it put us out of business for a week. Thankfully we had parents and gymnasts that were willing to come help us clean up.

The weather has seem to be crazy lately, and I hope everything works out for the gym!!

I just saw on Channel 13 news (Iowa) that Chow's Gym flooded. It looks like they have a few feet of water inside the gym by looking at the balance beams still inside. They interviewed Chow and Shawn Johnson. She will be training at Iowa State University for now. I hope this doesn't interfere with her emotionally or physically before the Olympic trials.

I saw pictures of it on tv yesterday! that rele sucks! i hope she'll do good tho, the olympic trials are this weekend! :thumbsup:

The water has receded, and a hundred volunteers spent 17 hours Saturday putting the gym back together. Looks like the only major thing distroyed was the JF floor (which is pretty expensive). I'm sure more will be known soon. But shawn did train there yesterday and is leaving for Philly today. Pictures are up on nbcolympics.com

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back