Off Topic Cirque du Soleil

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
So this is a question that came together in my head from a variety of other posts. There was just that post about "your child is not going to go pro" which made me think, "There really is no professional gymnastics." Which made me think of a thread from a number of months ago, where Dunno (I think) said, "Yes, there is professional gymnastics. There are the elites that accept endorsements and there are Cirque du Soleil performers." I am not quoting exactly, but if I remember correctly, that was the gist of it.

So, prefacing this question with the fact that my daughter has never expressed ANY interest in being a performer in Cirque du Soleil or similar show, how hard is it to get into a show like that? Do a lot of those performers come up through USAG? Is it the equivalent of saying, "My daughter had the lead in her high school musical. What are the chances of her being on Broadway?" Or is that kind of strength/skill set apply to a small enough subset of people that it's not as competitive as one might think? Do you know of gymnasts who joined the actual circus? Do they usually go to some sort of circus/acrobatic school first, or, again, is the level of strength and flippiness they achieve through upper-level gymnastics enough to get them there?

My daughter (13) says she wants to be a wildlife biologist and is just trying to decide if she'd rather specialize in sea creatures, reptiles and amphibians, or birds of prey, so this is truly just out of curiosity. ;)

oooh- great questions! i've wondered the same. i also wonder how long those gymnasts/acrobats stay in positions like that.

I know someone that used to be a Cirque performer. Was trained as a dancer (the good ones are probably as well conditioned as gymnasts). Lots of injuries related to Cirque to hear him talk about it. Didn't sound like an appealing career path.

I used to read copies of 'the stage' whilst waiting on DD at stage school and they were often adverts in seeking gymnasts for that troupe. I noticed them as DD was on a waiting list for gymnastics at the time.

I've know a couple from t&t. These folks were Elites on the National team. I don't think a kid who tops out at level 8 is going to work there. I would guess the chances are not much better for that then for college gymnastics.

If you look at the audition requriments and check out some audition videos these people are supernatural not folks that just were fairly good at gym and got jobs.

I know a boy who competed up to around 13 then carried on training with club but not 'up to level' to compete. He was a GREAT tumbler and daredevil. He has been in cirque about 2 - 3 years. See loads of stuff on him on twitter and youtube. Never elite 'Material'. Great personality and showman like persona. Luckily the club let him train even without competing. He coached for approximately 2 yrs prior to joining cirque aged 19.

One of our old teammates who is in college now looks to be in a class learning how to do "ribbons" - you know, where the ribbons are hanging from the ceiling and they do stunts in them? Not sure what it's called. And I have no idea if she is just doing it for fun, but whatever, I can see where that might be a skill she could do in that type of show. She was I believe a L8, but with gymnastics of any level comes strength, flexibility and a certain grace.

cirque hold auditions on a regular basis. I think they will also interview if a CV is interesting enough.

They tend to be specific acts they're looking for. I knew an elite gymnast and they designed an act round him. Many acro gymnasts get jobs in that sort of field.

Jeez, even I got a job once when I friend I knew dropped out. Brilliant fun, fab money. Fortunately I still had enough rudimentary skills to pass the audition. Paid way better than my regular job. Hear that mum? gymnastics can pay better than education :))

There was/is a fascinating video series that followed the audition of a small group of performers and subsequent beginning training of others. I will see if I can find it ( think I watched it on youtube). I have read that they have scouts at USA Elite Nationals (Formerly VISAS). They also have auditions specifically for acrobats, musicians, and other specific categories. It looks like a long and uncertain process. For those that make it into the company there is specific training and then possible (not guaranteed) placement into a show. Even then no guarantees when a show closes if they will get another placement.

ETA: Here is a link to an audition documentary. Not sure if it is the one I saw before

There is none, fortunately. Back in the day before handy video cams and youtube :)

It wasn't cirque by the way, just a local show thing. Cirque pays really well. If ever I'd managed to get in there you'd never have got me out again ::D

There are two colleges in the United States that have extra-curricular circus programs, and I was part of (what I think) is the best one. I have several peers who went on to work for Cirque in technical positions, as we all learned to rig equipment. I also have several friends who tried out, many of whom were level 9 or 10 gymnasts before doing circus in college. One alum who graduated a few years before me worked as a performer, and two brothers who I performed with got offered a contract with cirque. They were training in Canada and developing a duo/brother aerial act for a new show. One of the brothers tore his labrum, and that was that. I think they are working at a trapeze school now.

Cirque pays well, but performer careers are generally relatively short, though they provide assistance in career transitioning. They are looking for the whole package including a high skill set in a talent they need at the moment (be that tumbling, bars work, aerial, trampoline, juggling) as well as the ability to be part of other acts as well, a well conditioned, flexible, and fit body, minimal injury history, the ability to improvise, musicality, and stage presence. Like theater, you can be cut if you don't have the look. My friends who went to open auditions said they lined people up first, and then just went down the line, automatically eliminating some based on looks and body type alone. Then they tested strength (chin-ups, leg lifts, that sort of thing) and eliminated most of the rest. Then they moved on to basic and then progressively more difficult tumbling, starting with handstands and then up to people who could show L10/elite level skills. Then they started looking at acting ability, improvisation, and stage presence.

There was a teacher at my DDs ballet school that was a former cirque performer. She was a college gymnast, then did cirque for two years before coming to CA to train and dance with the ballet company attached to DDs school. After about a year of that she began instructing, and added aerial silk and acro classes to the schools repertoire.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back