Classes vs. Open Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm just wondering how exactly does everyone work out? Do most of you take actually adult classes? I do open gym work outs because there is only 1 gym in my are that has actual adult classes and they are only once a week and I work a weird schedule. The gym I have found lets me come in on Saturday mornings and work out. It's nice b/c I can kind of do what I want, as long as I stay out of the teams way. I just sometimes wish I was in a class so I could have a teacher, really only for suggestions/spot occasionally. Don't get me wrong the coaches at this gym are great. I'm just wishy-washy. I love gymnastics now b/c I don't have someone right on me telling me what to do, but then again I miss the push from a coach. Any ideas of what a girl should do?
Thanks

I go to a class. But it is only once a week, for an hour and a half. Totally not long enough, or often enough, for me. Plus we're all working on vastly different things, so it's hard. But at least we do have a coach who does help with whatever we want to work on!

~Katy

Almost every decent sized gym in Australia has adult classes, but we dont have the same insurance issue's as they do in the USA. It costs the same to register an adult gymnast as it would to register a child gymnast. There are also no maximum age limits on competitions so adults can compete without any problems. In fact, trampoline in particular is quite popular and has competitors in their 60's and 70's.

It seems to me that the ideal situation for you would be to train in classes with younger gymnasts, perhaps those working to reach a higher level and competing. Many gyms allow this so look around.

i work once a week at my gym so that i can go in and work out anytime i want. but it is so much easier when you have a partner/coach.
can you find a work out partner? maybe one of the coaches at your gym?
i used to take an power tumbling class at another gym. too funny - picture 12 and 13 year old girls and me (30 yrs)! i loved it, i might even do it again when my ankle is completely healed.

when i spoke to the owner of my gym about starting an adult class, she had two concerns.
1. in the past, people say they want to do it, and then the slowly stop coming and you don't have enough people to run a class.
2. the insurance. it had been so long since she checked on the insurance rates that they had changed it to $50 once per year registration. so insurance really isn't a big deal anymore.

Most coaches kind of chuckled a little when I told them how old I was and what I wanted to do. Some suggested I try a health club instead with their lovely assortment of classes. Some did offer strictly tumbling classes, but I want to swing bars and attempt beam (if that's what you want to call it). I really like the gym I go to, not to mention they were very open to the idea of me doing this so I think I'm going to stick with them. I could always re-learn my BHS like I did the first time. Just do it in the backyard until I don't land on my head anymore, and then do it in the gym. I think the team girls have a meet today so maybe the gym will be quiet and I can get out a mat and try with out embarrassing myself to bad.

Can you do private lessons? Even a half hour every week (or every other week) could help, and if you have a small amount of structured time, you would at least have an idea of what to work on during open gym.

I'm not sure if I should really classify myself as an adult gymnast (and I always hesitate to use the 'college gymnast' label as well because I don't do NCAA), but I work out with team when I'm at home. It's a win-win situation for everyone because I'm also a judge, so I can work with the other girls between turns.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back