Cleaning up/seting up the gym....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone else have to set up and clean up their gym before and after practice? I go to a YMCA so we have half the gym with a red curtain in the middle and basketball players on the other side. So we set up and clean up the gym before and after EVERYYYYY practice. Thats why we can't have a pit or trampolines! BECAUSE WE CAN'T PUT THEM AWAY! HAHA! JUST wondering if anyone else has to do this?

We would have to do it for meets, but some colleges have gyms like set up where they have to set up and clean up before and after every practice.

YESSS! bacuase we train in a high school
...well sort of....our club pays people to take down equipmen though so all we really have to do is flip the mats...
This is why we can't even have spring floors or pits or tramps or any high tech stuff...plus we're poor XD...though we did just get a new floor and a homemade tumbling strip!! yay
..do you have spring floors?

i went to a meet that had the same thing where there was the gym equipment and then the basketball courts

where do you go to gym????

Yes we also have to set up our entire gym.
we have a set of bars, 2 high beams and a low beam, a non sprung strip of floor, a sprung strip, a vault and a double mini (on the non sprung strip). It can take up to half an hour to set everything up!! and because our hall is so teeny tiny if you get one piece of equipment in not quite the right spot nothing will fit!! I will not let anyone else set up the mats around the sprung floor because i am so particular about it and no-one else can ever seem to get it to fit right! (our vault run also goes out into the foyer and we have to run through a door)
we then have to pack it all away again into the storeroom when we finish. this also has to be done in a specific order or nothing will fit!
sometimes we even have to rearrange the gym in the middle of training. which means putting some stuff away and getting other equipment out.

and i thought i had it bad...hehe
we have pretty much the same equipment: two high beams, a low beam, 1 bars set, a non sprung floor, a tumbling strip, and a vault...i am so thankful i don't personally have to put up and take down all the equipment.

How long do you train for? is it limited because of where you train?
I can only train for 6hrs a week...

We used to. We woud set up on Wed. and take down on Friday. It really sucked, although for awhile we didn't have a spring floor yet, so it wasn't too bad. We got our own gym several years ago when the YMCA decided to add on another wing. We kept our same gym, and the basketball players got a new one, along with a new aerobic room.

and i thought i had it bad...hehe
we have pretty much the same equipment: two high beams, a low beam, 1 bars set, a non sprung floor, a tumbling strip, and a vault...i am so thankful i don't personally have to put up and take down all the equipment.

How long do you train for? is it limited because of where you train?
I can only train for 6hrs a week...

we do have limited training. I guess partly because we are a set up/pack up gym but also because we are a small club and we only hire the hall 2 afternoons a week plus saturday morning. the other days it is hired by other people such as dance classes etc.
I train 7 hours a week but we loose some of that time setting up etc.

the worst is when the hall is hired out for a party.... A month or so ago someone hired it for a party on a friday night and when we got there on Saturday morning for gym the hall was revolting. there was broken glass, bottle caps, ring pulls from cans, cigarette buts plus other stuff all over the floor inside and outside, the hall stank like beer, the floor was black and sticky and gross, they had grafitied all over the place, had broken into cupboards in the kitchen and stolen/smashed stuff - luckily they did not get into our equipment store room. we could not use the bathrooms because they were in such a mess. We had to mop and sweep the entire hall before we could set up any of our equipment and even after that it still felt gross to walk on!:eek: my feet were so black when i went home. All in all it was very gross!! :mad: :mad: We were not happy!

Ok we have like two high beams and three low beams, we have a spring floor but its only a spring strip. We have one vault and a couple spring boards, but since we have no space, we can only run for vault from like 58 feet.
We have one set of bars. Then we have all the safety mats and stuff. But sometimes its like if you fall off the beam u can like land on someone walking back from their turn on floor. One of my teammates almost got kicked in the head! haha.

I'm a level 8 and I train 1.5 hours on Monday,
2.5 hours and tuesday and thursday
and 3 hours on saturday.

I'm only level four...it's complicated.....
I can do all the level 5 skills and most of the level six skills but my club/coach/and i just thought it wouldn't be worth moving up because I only train for 6 hours a week and I already don't train enough compared to the other girls in level 4 never mind level 5 or 6, so i just stayed at level 4. And now i really want to move up but we've already registered me as a level 4 for our competitions....so... ya, it's depressing!!

I'm guessing you guys don't have a pit, right? Can you do flyaways? I'm guessing yes, how did you learn them without a pit? my coach doesn't want to teach me them because she thinks it's not safe or something...

yeah that sucks a bit about not being able to move up. You shouldn't worry about not training the same hours as everyone else. I have always trained less hours!! If you can do the skills you should at least give it a go! But hey... I guess at least you will do awesome in level 4 this year!! :):)

I'm guessing you guys don't have a pit, right? Can you do flyaways? I'm guessing yes, how did you learn them without a pit? my coach doesn't want to teach me them because she thinks it's not safe or something...

lol.... :eek: flyaways and I really (and I mean really) do not get along!! I have had bad experiences with them and they freak me out big time!! :eek: I will not do them now!

but you can definitely learn them without a pit... I have seen lots of other girls learn them without a pit. Get your coach to pad you or even get two coaches to double pad. Also start off doing them onto crashmats... If you are short enough you could even do them off the low bar to start off with, from swings with your legs bent behind you....

Good Luck with them!! :)

thanks...
My coach is going to see if she can re-register me (or whatever:p) as a level 5...so I'm really hoping i will be able to move up!
Good luck with everything!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back