WAG Clear hip/free hip ideas...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi all, I am after some ideas for free hips/clear hips.

My girls are 12+years and of average size -ie I'm not spotting tiny littlies!

They are just starting to work on clear hips and just not really getting it. They know what their body is meant to be doing but can't get it to even after doing the drills a over and over first.

Most train 5hrs per week so it is a struggle!

Any help or ideas would be great :)

Not sure what kind of equipment you have available, but I like the drill at 1:30ish- doesn't require much extra stuff- for teaching dropping the shoulders back which most kids I've taught clear hips to struggled with. It doesn't involve lots of hand spotting-

JAO Videos has a 2 part clear hip series on Youtube, you might be able to get a few things from there. Though there are lots of hand spotted parts which can be challenging with bigger kids. Here is part 2:

And here is a bunch of stuff from Swing Big, you should be able to find at least a few things that fit your needs.
http://swingbig.org/?s=clear+hip&submit=Search

In my experiences, some kids seem to have a preconceived idea about what a clear hip is which can be a roadblock in the learning process (though I have mostly taught to teens who are that way about most skills), so teaching individual pieces can help with that. I really commend you for wanting to teach them correctly! I don't usually coach bars with my girls but I have seen they have been instructed to just "try a clear hip" with no drills and the results have been cringe worthy. So much better to do it right from the start than to go back and correct stuff!

Condition condition condition! I had a group of girls (great gymnasts) but they were also pre teen age and only training a small number of hours. Turns out that strength was a huge factor. They mostly all have them now but it took some time!! Good luck!

Condition condition condition! I had a group of girls (great gymnasts) but they were also pre teen age and only training a small number of hours. Turns out that strength was a huge factor. They mostly all have them now but it took some time!! Good luck!

What specific conditioning would you suggest, that could be done at home? We have a really sturdy chin-up bar. My DD is having a heck of a time with the clear hips.

Chin ups are great. Also hollow rocks. We do a push up position on a floor bar made from PVC. Practice getting shoulders over the bar and holding it. You can also do this on a incline.
Hands on the bar on the ground and feet up the incline. Using your toes you can push forward over the bar and then back. This last one is hard to explain! :) I have seen it in youtube before so try searching for clear hip conditioning. Good luck. Such a fun skill once she gets it!!

If you have one of those little bars with the wheels on the ends, hold on and do backward rolls. If not, just have backward rolls as a side station. Have them really get the feeling of pushing on the bar. Also tell them to pull down super hard on the bar and it will bounce them straight up! ;)

Thanks guys!! Think I am just being impatient and if I keep doing lots of drills and conditioning it will come eventually! Hopefully haha!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back