Clear hips - any suggestions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, this is a video of my clear hip and since the life of an adult gymnast doesn't nearly involve enough time in the gym and quality coaching as I would like, especially now that my club has decided to do reduced training over summer (okay, we didn't really have a choice as we work out in a high school gym) - I need some technical expertise....

My casts are definitely not high enough, and I'm kind loose, not staying hollow. Any other suggestions what to improve (both for the cast and the clear hip, or even the kip?)

Also, never mind the glide out of the clear hip...;)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhvNOupeUpM[/YOUTUBE]

YouTube - clear hip

Last edited:
Try dropping your shoulders back faster and harder as you go into it. You'll need a more explosive opening of the arms to go more vertical. Make sure you don't bend your arms when you do the explosive arm opening action. In time you will get stronger and it will go higher ending in a handstand instead of out at an angle. Keep working hard! It looks pretty good at this point.

Try dropping your shoulders back faster and harder as you go into it. You'll need a more explosive opening of the arms to go more vertical. Make sure you don't bend your arms when you do the explosive arm opening action. In time you will get stronger and it will go higher ending in a handstand instead of out at an angle. Keep working hard! It looks pretty good at this point.

Wow! Its pretty good! 20 times better than my clearhip to h/s (Which i STILL cant do)
Keep up the good work!:D

Improve strength at home with focused strength training. Strength training is based on sets of 3 or 5 sets of 3 or 5 reps. If you can do it more than 5x, it's not challenging and pertaining to strength.

Focus on body levers and pseudo planche pushups ( where you place your hands as close to hips so your shoulders lean forward as much as possible, elbows track to sides instead of splaying out ).

Push-pulls on an octagon or swiss ball or good as well just like those ab wheels.

can't see your video for some reason. practice 3 clear hips in a row. 1st one to above 60 degrees. 2nd to 75/80. and the 3rd to handstand.

for conditioning, take those velcro weights and strap them to your waist or both thighs. that will depend on how long you can make the string of weights.

then practice the above again in sets.

ok, well, first at least try to get your cast nice and tight and high. now for the clear hip. once you have done a good cast, lean your shoulders, and pull your knees to the bar. (or lower thighs) once your feet are even w/ the high bar, quickly flip your wrists. hope this helps!!!

I think you already know! :)
You're right- the cast is archy and your arms are bent. When you are swinging down from your cast, you're not quite hitting the tight hollow shape b/c you're swinging down from an arched position. I'd work on the body shape in the cast. Then, like you and everyone else have mentioned, STAY TIGHT in the circle. Your body shape shouldn't change one bit. If you are loose, all of your energy goes to changing your body shape instead of amplitude. So, work on core strength a lot-- and lots of hollow body rocks and holds. You're doing great. Once you fix the cast and the body positioning into the circle, you'll be able to gain more momentum and as a result higher amplitude. Your cast looks high enough to make a clear hip to hand-- you've just got to clean it up. You do not have to be able to cast handstand to clear hip hand, but if you can cast to handstand, you're probably pretty strong, and it will certainly be easier to keep your body in the correct shape for the clear hip. :p You're off to a good start-- I think clear hips are one of the trickiest stills to learn as an intermediate bars worker.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back