Coaches Coach being bullied

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I’d been coaching at a club for roughly 7 years when they ‘fired’ me.
Using the word fired lightly- manager and other older coaching staff disliked me. Manager was supposed to mentor me, but would bully me all the time- to the point all coaches & gymnasts knew she had the thing against me, and most parents could see it too. I have low self esteem and confidence in my abilities as it is, but this knocked everything out of me and caused huge anxieties in the gym. Anxieties coaching certain classes as I didn’t like them- said manager would be there etc. Anyway I refused to continue doing classes, they wouldn’t let me, I sent rude message to manager (wrong I know, but after all she’s done to me I didn’t care), she fired me for it, but allowed me to beg for my job back if I wanted it- I refused, agreed I was better off not there.

Fast forwards almost 3 years I’ve been coaching at my current club for about 18months . (Took time for myself for a while). My club is in same county so competes against my old club. I’ve had nothing but issues from old club since moving. Threats to report me to governing body for trying to be helpful, more threats because 1 of my gymnasts is moving to their club. I feel like they are still trying to destroy my coaching career. If I wasn’t so much in low with the sport and coaching, I’d walk away from me all together.
Everything I invested into that club when I was there, I volunteered for 5years before becoming a member of staff, even as a paid coach, still put hours of voluntary work in- cleaning, decorating, I’d do fundraisers and artwork for them, had built up a very successful squad winning at pretty much every competition, and they treat me like this- I understand towards the end I was not myself and hated being there and did less and less to help, but I basically quit all life plans to be there.
What should I do/What can I do about this constant bullying.

I will add my 2 brothers still go there 1 (18) trains there and other (26) coaches, and this is where the bullying is coming from- like they are trying to turn my family against me, as well as destroy me as a coach.
My club hosted a comp, I over heard 2 coaches discussing old & new rules as certain aspects had changed, I mentions to older brother to double check what his club had. I got threats off sending complaints of sabotage, and a list of other lies that they’d put against me to try and end my coaching career.
Sorry needed to vent, can’t talk to family as it ends up back to old club. My club do what they can but it’s personal rather than between clubs.
Is there anything I can do?? I just want it to stop, and everything between us professional as you’d expect between clubs.

Wow, it sounds like a tough situation for you... Really sorry this is happening to you. Good for you for leaving this place though.

As for advices... I'm not sure you can do anything really. Honestly, I think that letting it die by itself is probably the best path for you. I would stop all communications with the old gym, stop discussing gymnastics with your brothers for a while (hard I know), especially during competitions. Basically avoid any communication with your old gym except what is strictly necessary and, if communication is necessary, be as professional as possible (ie. don't interact with them more than you would with a club you are not familiar with). If possible, avoid too much contact with their gymnasts also (try not to have your gymnasts warm up too close from the other club, don't talk to their gymnasts, etc.).
If your new club is understanding, maybe ask someone else to be present on the competition floor when interaction cannot be avoided ?
Also, if you have something to ask them (for a competition for instance), if I were you, I would send emails (and keep receipts) rather than calling them on the phone.

I know it sounds harsh because it looks like you were really involved with your old club, but from what you describe, there is probably not much you can do except waiting for them to calm down...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back