coach catch phrases

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gravity Check

In our gym a fall is called a "Gravity Check" because the gymnast wanted to make sure gravity was still working.

Once I was at open gym at a different gym then mine, because my gym doesn't offer open gym. Anyway, the level 4 girls were having a practice and they were on beam:

Coach: Ugh! Bent legs! It burns my eyes! (or something to the effect)
Gymnast: Feel the pain!

Just been reading back through this thread and thought of more!

On beam:
Squeeeeeze everything!...OK, Not your eyes!!
"Are you drunk?" Or "Did you have wine in your drinks bottle today?" (If they are extremely wobbly!)

In general:

"REEEAAALLLLYYY???" This has become a bit contagious in our gym - one coach started saying it when a gymnast did a skill and it went wrong, now everyone says it, not particularly funny, but just something we all say! (Kind of similar to 'Seriously?!' in Grey's Anatomy)

I also ask "Is that really how we do that?"

When we are packing away:

"insert name stop supervising, that's my job!"

"That mat isn't going to move itself"

And of course I have many more positive ones too, but they aren't as fun!

my coach always says hit the road jack when we change stations..

i usually say to my rec girls a few different phrases:

if they have an arched back instead of a hollow body, i say "your back looks like a banana! im not a monkey! i dont like bananas!"

if theyre not tight and squeezing, then i call it "loosey goosey"

anytime they are bending their legs and have their knees apart, i say "you look like a frog! glue those knees together!"

they arent that funny, but the kids get a kick out of it :)

My coach aslways says "Where's your head at?" in a wierd tune for this song he has on his ipod. Whenever we keep throwing our head back he plays the song for the whole gym. :)

My P.E. teacher uses to say "I could park my car over that bridge" when he likes someones bridge or backbend.

My coach usually says:
1 - "Think about what you're doing" - when something goes wrong
2 - "You all look like a big jelly" - when we're doing acrobatics stunts
3 - "Keep your tongue inside your mouth" or "tongues in" - cos little kids always get their tongues off while doing handstands or walkovers.

These are funnier when she says them, because she will most likely miss their spelling or something.

Once she said "Keep your tongue inside your mouth or you will break it" LOL (she uses to tell us that her mouth is faster than her brain)

I didn't read through the whole thread so don't know if it's already been used, but my old coach used to say:

"You can rest when you're dead!"

to use if we ever protested about some large amount of conditioning we had to do, and then he would give us more :p

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back