Coach, gym mom, life long gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

emacmommy

I've been lurking around this sight for tid bits of info for quite awhile. I know quite a bit about the in's and out's of bringing young girls up through the developmental levels of beginning through advanced competitive gymnastics, not to mention I've been there myself as a gymnast though college. I have a new challenge though that I am hoping to find some commaradre and advice here, or at least a place to vent at times. I now get to learn as I go, how to coach my own 8yr old daughter.

So, here's to flipping, circling and the "balance" of life. I hope to get to know many of you.

Coach Emacmommy

Welcome!!!:) Glad you decided to start posting. I'm sure you have lots of insight to offer! My DD is 13yr old level 7. What level is your DD?

My DD is a 1st year Level 4. Our state competes Level 3's pretty extensively, so she actually started competing as a Level 3 last year.

Hi and welcome to CB !!

My DD just finished her L3 season and as of Dec 15th will be L4. Sadly she had to scratch from her L3 season finale as she has a fracture in a growth plate and hence a cast (since Monday - season finale was today :( ).

Anyway - my DD is 8.

I think you will find CB very supportive

Welcome to the CB. I see you've already jumped in and started posting. We have the best group of coaches and parents anywhere on the internet. Do you coach your dd or work with other teams?

My gymmie is 12 and will compete as a L8 this year.

Do you coach your dd or work with other teams?

I coach approx 35 girls on competitive levels 3 - 8, with my co-head coach. She also has a daughter, just younger. We coach in rotations so I don't coach my daughter exclusively all practice. She also takes rotations with our Jr. Coaches as well.

I would love to pick the brains of other coach/parent professionals. I've found it one of the most difficult things to work through, although also the most rewarding.

My intention was to hook her, because I wanted her to have the chance for the positive experiences and opportunities I had as a gymnast. However, I've always maintained that it will always be her choice. I talk quite frequently, but lovingly, that if ever this is not something she wants to pursue, the choice is completely hers. I know she is just as passionate and proud of gymnastics as I was, although not nearly as focused.

Our biggest battles are keeping her from falling into the "gym brat" role. When I'm coaching her she is my gymnast and part of team, not my daughter with attitude towards mom. She tends to try and get away with things I wouldn't tolerate from other gymasts. Just last week, she had to sit in the hall for not falling in line and following directions like the rest of the team. However, I've fallen off and disciplined her as she would be disciplined at home, nose in the corner, take away privilidges, type of stuff that I wouldn't do to a student in the gym. It's a hard line to walk.

Part of the problem is she is such a pleaser/peformer. She likes to know someone is watching and going to praise. She's that way in school too. Does well, knows the stuff, but if noone is there to prove it to, why should she try. That's my insight into her.

She's not a natural talent. Talented, yes, but not the best. She wins occasionally, but usually is about 4th or so. Better than most, but not the best. She has progressed a bit faster than those she started with, but mostly because she has more time in the gym, as I have her in both competitive team and performance group. During summer she's in the gym 5 days a week, not necessarily training days though, just tagging along with mom. During school 3 days per week, team for 2hrs, performance team 1 hr). She's definitely proof that the more time in the gym, even if not all instructional, the faster the progression.

As for me, I took my gymnastics through Class 1 (Level 10 for those that don't date their gymnastics back to the 80's) with a college scholarship. I vowed during college I wasn't going to coach... two years after graduating college I had my fingers back in the sport, and soon was coaching again full time.

My hobby is digital scrapbooking, digital art, and photography at an intermediate level... kinda like my daughter's gymnastics, better than most, but not the best. I'll post some artwork in the gallery soon.

Our next meet... State Championships, Dec 13th. All but one of our gymnasts have qualified, but not hard to do in Wyoming. Within our gym we call our two seasons, Championship season (Oct-Dec) and National season (Jan-Mar; where we might go abroad more).

Welcome - and good luck with the journey of coaching your dd. My dd and I tend to butt heads quite often - so if I ever had to coach her I'm not so sure it would turn out well for anyone :p

Welcome:)! Your dd sounds alot like mine! My dd is 10 years old and just finished fall season for level 4. I think she may move to level 5 for spring, but may not compete it. This is a great place, enjoy:D!

Hi my daughter is just 8 and i am learning to coach (I couldn't bear sitting and watching for hours at a time) I have always loved gymnastics since I did it as a child. When I started helping I did help her group but as I became confident enough to offer corrections we began to clash so I now help with a different group. It can be quite hard sometimes. If she is disciplined by another coach, I stand behind them and support them (As a Primary School teacher I know how hard it is to discipline a child in front of their parents) although inside my heart is breaking for her. I'll be there for her to cry on later. She is not the easiest of children sometimes LOL. If she tells me she has a problem with something I will be mom and believe her and stand up for her.

We both love gymnastics and she can come and chat to me on the floor for a minute sometimes and show me things. We are both learning and growing (and it stops me getting caught up in over obsessing about her skills and *****ing in the balcony :)

It sounds like you will have lots of good advice for me rather than the other way round as you have been doing it for years! I read everthing here but I don't have much good advice yet.

Welcome to you . You are right this is a hard role. I , too have had that experience. Afterbeing an elite myself, college and club gymnast and eventual gym owner I am now the head coach of an 90 girl team. Over the years I coached both my daughters at different times (both out of the sport one in college, one teaching 1st grade) It was extremely difficult especially as a single parent.
My oldest was not a natural talent but a gymnast that worked hard, self motivated and very consistant.( a natural beam queen staying on for 6 seasons straight and wining state and regional at each level) You always knew not always the highest aa score she would be in the top 3 at every meet and you could count on her. She thrived on competing and getting corrections. If she didnt get them she asked for them.
My younger daughter a natural talent in both gymnastics and classical ballet was a challenge. A mommy's girl and dramatic child. She stole the show at every opportunity and tried to get away with much. She also has learning disabilities and cant process drills but sees the skills as a whole trick. She learned by watching and could do something by the 3rd try(very exasperating for an older sister that worked 1 year to a get a double full) A first place winner even when she didnt work for it.
We now can laugh about those car rides home. One crying that I didnt give her enough corrections and ONLY yelled at everyone else and one crying that I ONLY yelled and gave corrections to her.. I KNow the experience was worth it and I am a better coach for it especially learning how to explain things differently to a child with disabilities.
I am sure you will work through and find a way to that you both will enjoy your gym time. The hardest part is leaving it AT the GYM
Good luck

hi there from another region III gymnast from a big square state. welcome to the chalk bucket!!!!

Hello there. :) That sounds like a difficult thing to traverse, but also a very important thing to figure out. From my experience lurking and posting I think you'll find a lot of good people to offer advice as even this intro thread has shown. :) Good luck with the coaching aspect and making it all work. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back