Coach/ gymnast relationship

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do you have a really good relationship with your coach? Me and my coach have the best relationship possible, we're just so much alike. Were both really sarcastic and we like to joke with each other. She sent me a text last week after I had a bad birthday practice saying how much she loves that I'm the leader of not just the group but the gym, and she loves seeing my smiling face. And when I get hurt at practice she's normally the only one that can calm me down and make me smile. So I was just wondering if everyone had this kind of relationship or it I was just kinda special?

Yes!!!!! I LOVE my coach!!!!! She totally gets me, as a gymnast and also a person. We do joke around a lot also. Your relationship with your coach seems very similar to mine.

Now, don't think that because gymnasts have really great relationships with their coaches, yours isn't special. It's so wonderful what gymnasts and their coaches have. I play 2 other sports and I've never been as close to my coaches/teachers as I have as with my gymnastics coaches. I think gymnastics is so mental, that all gymnasts have a special bond.

I've had 2 coaches that have really really impacted my life.
One was at my old gym (that closed in January and I haven't seen her since), she started coaching there 2 months after I started gymnastics. We went to the Kelloggs Tour together with another coach and my teammate and she became my best friend and sister from then on. She's only 5 years older if you're wondering. She did a lot for me, and was there in a time where I transitioned into high school and was struggling with friendships and just a whole bunch. I owe her everything because she has really taught me everything I know and given me so much more than just skills.

My second coach is my high school coach, and will be my coach for the next two years (thank goodness). She isn't my second mom, she's mom 1.5. I've accidentally called her mom before which was a little embarrassing. We actually kind of look alike. We have a really good relationship, but obviously more of a motherly relationship than a sister/best friend one. She's the one I talk to about boys, gymnastics, really anything. Even when we don't see each other everyday we text at least once a week, sometimes we'll go out to lunch. She considers me a daughter and it's nice to know that she loves me as much as I love her. She's my favorite person in the world.

Sorry this is so long, I've never had the chance to express how much I love and appreciate my coaches before! :)

Now, don't think that because gymnasts have really great relationships with their coaches, yours isn't special. It's so wonderful what gymnasts and their coaches have. I play 2 other sports and I've never been as close to my coaches/teachers as I have as with my gymnastics coaches. I think gymnastics is so mental, that all gymnasts have a special bond.

One was at my old gym (that closed in January and I haven't seen her since), she started coaching there 2 months after I started gymnastics. We went to the Kelloggs Tour together with another coach and my teammate and she became my best friend and sister from then on. She's only 5 years older if you're wondering. She did a lot for me, and was there in a time where I transitioned into high school and was struggling with friendships and just a whole bunch. I owe her everything because she has really taught me everything I know and given me so much more than just skills.

My second coach is my high school coach, and will be my coach for the next two years (thank goodness). She isn't my second mom, she's mom 1.5. I've accidentally called her mom before which was a little embarrassing. We actually kind of look alike. We have a really good relationship, but obviously more of a motherly relationship than a sister/best friend one. She's the one I talk to about boys, gymnastics, really anything. Even when we don't see each other everyday we text at least once a week, sometimes we'll go out to lunch. She considers me a daughter and it's nice to know that she loves me as much as I love her. She's my favorite person in the world.

Sorry this is so long, I've never had the chance to express how much I love and appreciate my coaches before! :)
I know how you feel! Sometimes it feels like me and my coach have a better relationship than her and her actual daughter!

I know how you feel! Sometimes it feels like me and my coach have a better relationship than her and her actual daughter!

Haha her daughter is only 4, so she gets to experience having a teen little earlier than expected! But yeah I love my "real" mom but sometimes it's just easier to talk to her about things. She understands gymnastics and that's a huge part of my life that my mom doesn't always understand.

I LOVE MY COACH!!!! We always joke around and whenever I miss a skill (e.g. cartwheel on beam) she will say my name like she's disappointed, but she has a smile on her face :p She's only about 5-6 years older than me and she's the best!

I love my coach. She's understanding and my kind of funny and she really cares about us. Sometimes, even though I have a strong relationship with her, I feel bad because she seems to be closer to the more social, slightly younger girls on my team, but when I step back and think about it, I know she loves and wants the best for me. :)

I love my coach. She's understanding and my kind of funny and she really cares about us. Sometimes, even though I have a strong relationship with her, I feel bad because she seems to be closer to the more social, slightly younger girls on my team, but when I step back and think about it, I know she loves and wants the best for me. :)
That's how I used to feel, but I realized she has a different relationship with everyone. I'm the only one she can be saccadic with or joke around with because some of the younger girls might get there feelings hurt, I'm also the oldest so we have that relationship to were we can talk about other thing

That's how I used to feel, but I realized she has a different relationship with everyone. I'm the only one she can be saccadic with or joke around with because some of the younger girls might get there feelings hurt, I'm also the oldest so we have that relationship to were we can talk about other thing
That's a really helpful way to look at it. I'm kind of her middle child because I'm an older girl, but she has that "older girl" relationship with another one of my older teammates and then she has that playful relationship with the younger ones, so sometimes I feel like "Where do I fit?" But we have a strong relationship anyway.

My HC and I have the best relationship! Sometimes I get a little tough on myself and emotional, and his coaching style really works for me. We have a fun relationship when practice is not as intense and we both have a very dry sense of humor.
The relationship with another coach is close, too, but very different. She's definitely the "bad cop" and expects a lot from us and pushes us very hard. But at meets she gives pep talks and is the first to hug you after nailing a routine!
All in all, I have a really good relationship with all my coaches:)

I don't have this awesome relationship like you do, but I haven't been in gymnastics that long (roughly 2 years), so I haven't been around them as long. But they're really nice to me, so we have a good relationship.

One of my coaches doesn't really like me. The other 2 do, but not in a relationship like everyone else. I'm really not close to anyone. It's probably because I'm so logical minded and introverted.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back