WAG Coach Problems

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

About 6 months ago my group had received a new coach. Since then the parents and athletes have raised many concerns about this coach. Some of the main concerns were:

- Favoritism toward the higher level athletes
- Yelling and screaming at athletes if they fall or are scared of something
- Using conditioning as a punishment
- Ignoring athletes if they have done something wrong
- Inappropriate clothing while coaching (Crop Tops, see-through)
- Drastically increasing numbers and sets (From 5 of each tumbling line to 30 of each tumbling line, from 3 sets to 5 sets for everything in conditioning)
- Kicking athletes out of the gym for minor things such as stopping during cardio or taking a water break
- Showing up late for practices (from 5 - 60 minutes late)
- Telling athletes that they would not be accepted at other gyms because of their work ethic or their age is too old for their level

We have repeatedly had meetings with the head coach and with this coach in hope that something would change, but all of these meetings have resulted in short lived fixes but then she returns back to her old ways. Our group originally started with 11 people. The coaching has resulted in three people quitting, three people taking an extended period of time off due to overuse injuries (back, knees, fibula, ankles) and two moving to new gyms. My questions are:
- Is this normal?
- When is it to much?
- What would you do in this situation?

This coach needs to be reported to SafeSport. These concerns are 100% unacceptable. And the head coach / gym have not fixed or changed it.

I spoke to a SafeSport team member at one point, and she expressed how important it is to report these things. It doesn't have to mean the coach will be kicked out of coaching for all time or consequences for the gym. The first step is to try training and to fix the problem. Yes, it's uncomfortable, but this coach will continue doing this to future kids as well. They need to change or stop coaching.

I don't like jumping into "New Gym" advice. But I've also BTDT - almost everything on that list you named plus some. It doesn't matter if it's normal or not (and it's not), it's unacceptable. If you love the gym and truly believe in them and the head coach, I'd consider having one more talk saying, "This is an ongoing problem, and it's not changing. These are behaviors that not allowed under SafeSport. We love it here, but my child must change coaches or find a new place to train."

Please please please don't allow this to continue. There's more at stake here than just this moment or this season. Your child can (and I assure you, with time will) be set back mentally and emotionally as well and physically and in their gymnastics. If the head coach/gym can't or won't fix this, you have to move for your child's sake.

I'm so so sad to hear that you guys are going through this. Feel free to message me if you want to chat.

30 of each tumbling line. If that is what is happened h then this coach knows very, very little about effective coaching, physical development, or gymnastics safety.

For the hours your child is at the gym, you are literally putting your kids life into the hands of this coach. Don’t let your kid be the one who ends up breaking her neck because the coach is incompetent.

If I’m reading the OP correctly, you are a gymnast in the group. Please make sure your parents are aware of what is happening during training. This is 100% not acceptable. If the owners have refused to act, you may need to talk to your parents about finding a new gym. Please do not believe the garbage the coach is spewing about no other gym wanting you.

We had a similar situation at our gym with one of the coaches. After multiple meetings (throughout the years) with other parents, gym owners and the particular coach - their behavior change was always short lived and would revert back to their old, normal ways. Although my DD was thriving at this gym - we knew it wasn’t a healthy environment for her and the years to come. We changed gyms and our only regret was not making move sooner.

About 6 months ago my group had received a new coach. Since then the parents and athletes have raised many concerns about this coach. Some of the main concerns were:

- Favoritism toward the higher level athletes
- Yelling and screaming at athletes if they fall or are scared of something
- Using conditioning as a punishment
- Ignoring athletes if they have done something wrong
- Inappropriate clothing while coaching (Crop Tops, see-through)
- Drastically increasing numbers and sets (From 5 of each tumbling line to 30 of each tumbling line, from 3 sets to 5 sets for everything in conditioning)
- Kicking athletes out of the gym for minor things such as stopping during cardio or taking a water break
- Showing up late for practices (from 5 - 60 minutes late)
- Telling athletes that they would not be accepted at other gyms because of their work ethic or their age is too old for their level

We have repeatedly had meetings with the head coach and with this coach in hope that something would change, but all of these meetings have resulted in short lived fixes but then she returns back to her old ways. Our group originally started with 11 people. The coaching has resulted in three people quitting, three people taking an extended period of time off due to overuse injuries (back, knees, fibula, ankles) and two moving to new gyms. My questions are:
- Is this normal?
- When is it to much?
- What would you do in this situation?
I would remove my daughter from that gym and report it to Safesport. If your accurately describing everything, this is not ok. Don’t let yourself think this is normal. Don’t let your child think this is normal!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back