Parents Coach tantrum

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Has anyone ever had the head coach walk out of a practice in anger at the girls, without an explanation? How did you handle it if so? Also can I have some points of view on coaches kicking girls out of practice because they are struggling with a skill. I'm not sure how much of this is common practice in the sport.

None of that sounds "normal". If a child is really struggling with a skill surely they need more time in the gym, not punishment. If it was my child I'd give the coach a call and ask him/her what can be done to help your child in the gym, also to get the whole story?

As for the angry coach, I would want to know why they were angry, and then I would decide if it was okay or not. Coaches, like other humans, do get angry at a time, it's why and what they do that matters.

It does sound extreme. I assume this is an optional coach? To me, the appropriateness (or inappropriateness) of this behavior would depend a lot on the age of girls she's working with. If they're little compulsories, I can't imagine anyone ever getting this angry. If she's working with older teens--well I guess I can imagine it. Kicking a gymnast out of practice for struggling with a skill doesn't sound right unless the gymnast was refusing to take corrections or try things the coach suggested.

MM--at our previous gym, there were several occasions when one of the coaches for the 9/10s and elites would storm out. Yes, it shook the girls up, but really made the coach look stupid. I think it accomplished absolutely nothing.

Yes, my gymmie would be made fun of while trying to learn her L8 skills(she wasn't alone) and at one point when she was trying a Yerchenko that the coach said was "scary", was sent to do extra strength and not vault anymore. Now, if the vault was scary, then the coach should have spent some time correcting what she was doing wrong, send her back to doing timers---whatever. Instead she was banished to another area of the gym to do strength. That's why this gym started with 7 girls trying to make the L8 team and ended up with 2 competing for them this season. Of the 5 that left, mine is the only one still doing gymnastics

I have had a couple of examples. At one small familiy owned gymt he mother and daughter (owner and coach) would frequently get into screaming matches and once mom slapped adult daughter...obviously we aren't there anymore. Then we had a high strung coach who claimed our optionals caused her to have a nervous breakdown and hospital stay ... we are still here but she isn't/

Man am I happy we have th coaches we do!! I love ours they are soo supportive of each other and they make a big deal about the girls of all levels supporting each other as well!! I cannot imagine having a coach that acts any other way!!

good luck

I am not defending any of these coaches behaviour. Walking out on a class is terrible, when a coach is there they are in charge and responsible for those kids up to the time their parents come to take them home. It is the job of the coach to remain in control of themselves to be able to safely and successfully coach children.

But many of you have mentioned being upset that a child who is struggling with a skill is being sent to work on something else, like conditioning, instead of getting more attention on that skill. That behaviour I would like to defend. Some days when a kid comes up to do a skill they are just not with it, they may be not concentrating or be a bit crazy and fidgety, or be feeling too negative to get it. In many of these cases continueing to work on that skill (especially and dangerous one) is a bad idea. If the child's mind is not where it should be learning new skills can be very dangerous and result in a serious injury. At the very least it can mean the skill is being practised badly and bad habits being reinforced. In times like this the best thing for a child to do is walk away from that skill and work on something else totally.

I don't beleive a child should be kicked out of the gym for this but if the child is very distracted or very tired that day their safety can be compromised.

Thanks

Thanks for all the comments. Our coach is going through some tough personal times and I understand that but I also agree that it is their job to maintain dignity and authority in the gym and storming out does make them look foolish but even more so it causes a break done in respect.

As for safety I totally agree, if the gymnast is not focused due to illness, tired ect... then conditioning is a safe alternative to risking an injury on a new or difficult skill.

hmm, we've had coaches tell the girls - while they were on the floor at a meet competing - that they were all big disappointments and an embarrassment to them (the coaches). These were compulsory girls

I'd rather see the coach give herself a 10 minute time out than blow up at the kids. I've never seen our coach do it, but if you're talking about a team with a lot of teens, I can understand how things would get to that point. You know, at home, I'm the parent (the adult) and that teen of mine can still push buttons to the point where I loose it--and I can mete out far worse punishments than the coach can (you think she'd be more careful).

Kicking a kid out of practice is more problematic. There really aren't many good reasons for that: blatant disrespect (calling the coach names), vulgarity, behaving in such a way that the safety of self or others is threatened. Frustration, on anybody's part, shouldn't be one of them.

hmm, we've had coaches tell the girls - while they were on the floor at a meet competing - that they were all big disappointments and an embarrassment to them (the coaches). These were compulsory girls

Now that is way over the top. I would have a serious chat with my kids coach if she uttered those words to my kid at a meet. There is nothing more destructive to a child than being criticized publicly for their efforts. Obviously the girls aren't trying to be crap!:eek:

I'll always accept an off day for anyone, but their are limits, anyone who works with kids successfully has learned to "suck it up" emotionally. Who is the adult after all?

Yep. Been there, done that, seen it all! Someday you'll look back at that experience and wonder why you stayed with that coach as long as you did. It's not worth it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back