Parents Coach wanting to win or good team management?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Anna's_Mom

Proud Parent
I'm getting more than a little frustrated with our HC, but I'm not sure if it's warranted or not. Background is that this is only the 2nd year this gym has fielded a girls team and last year all of the girls (regardless of age or prior training) were required to start by competing L3. But because this is a new team, most of the girls are "older" -- 10+ -- and my DD is 11. He seems to be really holding some girls back -- not letting them move up, setting very high standards for who will compete in sectional or state meets (much higher than the official rules). Now, despite most of the 2nd year girls meeting the "at least a 36 in a prelim meet" standard to move up next year (almost everyone repeated L3 this season -- 23 out of 25 girls), he seems to be waffling on that and suggesting that he may hold girls back again. And while last year he required a 35+ AA score to compete above prelims, this year he is starting to hint it will be 37, eliminating more than 3/4 the team from competing in sectionals. My thought is that most of these girls know they are "too old" to reach elite status, they just want to compete at a level that challenges them and where they don't feel like the "old ladies" on the floor. Most of them had the skills to compete higher, though not perfect and probably lost by now since he is very strict about only working on your level's skills -- he even yelled at DD for doing the L4 floor routine during open gym (which is unstructured and playtime for most of the kids there). Lots of muttering about girls dropping out after this season if they don't move up and/or can't compete in meets they have earned entry into by the official qualifying scores. I'm beginning to think that it's all about how "winning" his new team is (5 straight team wins so far this season) and perhaps weeding out the girls who are too old to get past compulsories before high school. I feel like I'm forking over a fortune to help him feel good about his coaching and/or building his resume to move to a more competitive-oriented gym. Gym owner has decreed "no drama allowed" and won't even entertain a discussion about team policies.

DD says she will stay, assuming he keeps his word and allows her to compete in L4 next year -- though she is wistful watching other girls do L5+ skills that she had and enjoyed doing. But I'm wondering if we shouldn't explore alternatives. Or, at least, I was wondering until I started ready so many posts here about gyms not being willing to accept "older" girls at the lower levels. There must be 10 gyms within easy driving distance of us, but I'm not even sure it's worth exploring other options. I guess she'd have to do L4 no matter where she was next year, so maybe give it another year and if he won't move anyone to L5, then look around? Or is this a common mentality among gyms and coaches and just part of the sport?

That would drive me (and my daughters) crazy. I often wonder, when looking at mymeetscores, why someone who got a 36+ at states would be repeating a level. Holding them back for team awards is disgusting, IMO. At our gym all of the kids typically level up each year. We had no repeating 3s, 4s or 5s this year. It happens sometimes, it just didn't this year and is not the norm (in compulsories).
I don't know about the age thing in your area. Our oldest L4 is 9, most are 8. I'm sure if there are that many gyms near you, you will find luck somewhere placing an 11 year old. I'd look now though, because the only thing harder than placing an 11 year old L4 would be placing a 12 year old L4!

Yes, look around. Not only because of not moving kids up but because of the mind games he is playing... threatening to move the "target" (is it 35? 36? 37?) and not letting girls compete in meets they have qualified for. Also, what does he have against uptraining? I think his goal is to have lots of wins under his belt so that girls flock to his team, but it sounds like he's going to end up losing more girls than he gains. He will figure it out eventually, but you don't want your daughter to suffer in the mean time.

If the coach wants the girls to bring the trophies and they do, then he should reward them with lots and lots of uptraining. But what you describe sounds like a waste of time and money. Not to mention how bored the girls must be. Definitely look around.

I agree, look around at other gyms. My DD's L4 team has ages up to 15!!! Yes, one just got her learners permit!! So, depending on which gym you try, age may not be an issue. Honestly, what I've seen at our gym is that they tend to allow the older girls to move through the levels faster by scoring out than the younger girls. You never know, you may find a gym like this one. But that is completely ridiculous to me. Moving the mobility score is like dangling a carrot just out of reach! And you are paying for this, it's a waste of money to keep repeating.

Not sure how I feel about the level the girls are competing (there are multiple approaches to that part) but get the heck out of a gym that does not allow (or even require) uptraining....especially if girls are repeating to improve form, etc. Not only a waste of time and money, but a real blow to the kids confidence to succeed at a lower level but then realize that they have NOTHING to move up with (DD recently moved from a gym which only uptrained off season, then only the basic skills needed for the next level, and is now contemplating quitting less than 6 months after placing well in all events at state and being her teams highest scoring optional - all because her confidence is shot now that she realizes all the skills she never learned....). Unless your child really only wants to win, the method of training you describe is only hurting them.

I often wonder, when looking at mymeetscores, why someone who got a 36+ at states would be repeating a level. Holding them back for team awards is disgusting, IMO. At our gym all of the kids typically level up each year.

Keeping in mind that I DESPISE sandbagging, I have to say that we have two girls who will repeat L6 next year despite both having received a 36 and change. Both girls just cannot get their bars in working condition. Both of the girls finished in the top 10 off all L6s in the state and one was the 2nd highest score but the child cannot work bars to save her dear life.

It's hard because they will both dominate L6 this year, especially the one girl. But if she were to move to L7, it would be very noticeable that she wasn't up to par on all four events. I feel badly for the new L6s that will be competing against them though.

Just to chime in on the girls repeating who had high scores last season....... Sometimes there is a lot more to the story. My dd got 36 and change at states last year, but because of injuries, fears, and some training group issues is no where near her new level skills. She is repeating because that was her only option other than to skip a season all together.

Well, there is a difference between " sandbagging" and competing skills that you are competent at. I just moved DD from a gym that ONLY did up training in the off season and loudly decried " sandbagging" gyms all during the competitive season. This works , and work well, for their gym in the lower compulsory levels.

My DD had major confidence issues once she moved to Optionals and was competing skills she had just acquired 1 month before. She literally did her first giant 1 month prior to doing them in competition.

I ended up moving her because I was concerned about her. She is now at a gym where she is competing 1 level below where she is training. The skills she competes are " easy". She is working on upgrades that are harder, that she can put into her routine, or compete next year, and doing drills for 1-2 levels above where she is competing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back