coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

kbadker

Hello

Wondering if anyone would have a suggestion for me. I am coaching a level 9 girl who is having problems with her grips. By the time she gets about 1/2 way through her routine her grips have slid up on her hand and she has to stop to fix them....so this presents a big problem because she can't finish the routine. she wears dowel grips with velcro closures. She has tried taking the soft inserts out and even taping around her wrists but that hasnt' helped. any ideas?:confused:
Thanks for any suggestions

Coach Kelly

Hope this helps

My DD had the same problem with the velcro grips because they give no matter how tight she initially pulled them. She switched to buckle grips and has not had any more problems. She also uses thick double width wristbands underneath and puts a strip of tape on these then puts on her grips.

I assume you have made sure the grips are the correct size.
I used to have long wrist bands and then roll the top end under to make a fat lip, this stopped my grips from moving up.

DD swithced also t buckle grips and uses thick wrist bands no problem now. I know at first she did not lilke them but now would never go back.

HC now makes all girls get buckles when getting new ones.

Best of luck DD absolutly love the English Bull dog grips they are a little thick but last a long time.

I had this problem even with buckle grips. When i jumped to the high bar, the grips would slip up. The stitching at the base of the grip would even wear away before the grips started wearing out. But anyway, mine would readjust once I started swinging. I was just used to it. Maybe have her try to push through with a spot (over the pit or something) and see if there's a way she can readjust to feel safe in cast handstand. I'd try buckle grips first though. It could also be a matter of how you grab the bar when you jump, but I'm not sure what to say about that in general.

Other option is the not too uncommon squat on and quick grip pulldown. Not elegant or the best solution but sometimes it works as a short term fix.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back