Coaches and masks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm sure some college are doing right and that they are doing it the best they can.

Some things, however, are just puzzling. For instance, there was four gymnasts and two coaches from Florida out due to covid protocols and yet the rest of the team still competed. Knowing covid tests are not 100% reliable, I hardly find it reassuring.
Besides, things like high fiving don't seem necessary at this point...
I have 2 college students who are currently on campus at different schools - one super small and one very large. The virus is not spreading in the classrooms or during practice, where protocols are being followed well. It is spreading while hanging out with friends outside of your immediate unit, going to parties, going out to eat, etc. We all think/expect that team member hang out together but the reality is that often times they do not. They have their little cliques as well. So it is fully reasonable that only a few gymnasts might be quarantined.

We are in a mask mandated state. Everyone at our gym wears a mask 100% of the time, Including the gymnasts. Our gymnasts also compete in their masks, even though it has not been required at the first two meets. At a friend’s gym within the same state, masks are optional (per the owner) and therefore hardly anyone wears them.

I'm not aware of any gym in our area that is requiring masks to be worn. There is no state mandate, and little to no social distancing in practices, viewing areas, etc. Meets from what I gather have all followed covid guidelines, but training doesn't seem to. My daughter wears a mask during practice, and keeps her distance as well as only attends when there are not lots of people/gymnasts in the gym. We are the only family I know of (not just in our gym) that has done these things.

Wow, after reading all of these responses about places without mandates it makes me think we are really in another world here on Long Island. I can count on one hand the number of times since last March that I have seen someone without a mask on in a store. Now, there are many who don't wear them properly, but that's another story.

Now the attitudes on the street are different, but for the most part people are compliant in stores, etc. Many people even wear them while pumping their own gas and at the drive thru window.

The gym is a microcosm of above. Girls social distance as possible, wear masks when not on apparatus, and coach wears the whole time. You have your outliers, but mostly there is compliance.

We are in a mask mandate state. So we have no choice.Coaches masked all the time. At club masks except doing their event. High school gym. eveRhône masked 100 percent of the time, even on events. Different rules for school.

Not sure why you would be shocked in a state that doesn’t have a mask mandate. The gyms made different choices. And their members are free to choose as well. I’d love to know if any cases were traced to the non mask gym. I would think if they were having cases and spread you would know.

Some other points to consider. The other gym is not breaking the rules by not masking. Masks are not mandated where you are. You have no idea how often the coaches get tested. Or how often the gymmies get tested. What kind of cohosting they are doing...

We are in a mask mandate state. So we have no choice.Coaches masked all the time. At club masks except doing their event. High school gym. eveRhône masked 100 percent of the time, even on events. Different rules for school.

Not sure why you would be shocked in a state that doesn’t have a mask mandate. The gyms made different choices. And their members are free to choose as well. I’d love to know if any cases were traced to the non mask gym. I would think if they were having cases and spread you would know.

Some other points to consider. The other gym is not breaking the rules by not masking. Masks are not mandated where you are. You have no idea how often the coaches get tested. Or how often the gymmies get tested. What kind of cohosting they are doing.......
I can't remember. Are you the one that always responds rudely to people?

Wow, after reading all of these responses about places without mandates it makes me think we are really in another world here on Long Island. I can count on one hand the number of times since last March that I have seen someone without a mask on in a store. Now, there are many who don't wear them properly, but that's another story.

Now the attitudes on the street are different, but for the most part people are compliant in stores, etc. Many people even wear them while pumping their own gas and at the drive thru window.

The gym is a microcosm of above. Girls social distance as possible, wear masks when not on apparatus, and coach wears the whole time. You have your outliers, but mostly there is compliance.
I live in southern US and even though we have a mask mandate in my state, we still people (10-25% depending on the store) who don't follow it and the store employees have been told not to force the issue due to the number of people causing issues over it - getting aggressive. Of course, our area is very different in terms of population compared to the northeast, which is very congested. It is much easier to social distance here. In terms of the gyms, however, it appears that most are following the mask mandates

When my daughter's gym first reopened last summer, coaches wore masks all the time but gymnasts did not wear them while training. During the fall surge, masks were required 100% of the time for everyone. In the videos I'm currently seeing, athletes are not wearing masks and coaches don't appear to be wearing them either.

Our state's mask mandate allows gym patrons to remove their masks while exercising, which is nonsensical. Compliance with and enforcement of the mask mandate is otherwise very lax except at hair salons, doctors' and dentists' offices, and a handful of retail establishments that cater to a certain clientele that is likely to be pro-mask.

At our last gym, no one wore masks, including the coaches (we are in a mask mandate county) - every level had multiple outbreaks over the last 9 months (our level had 1/4 of the girls catch it, the next level had over half of them), lots of meets missed by lots of girls quarantining. Even more girls who the parents knew where our due to Covid, but didn’t inform the gym so they could return earlier.

New gym - the coaches all wear masks while coaching (im not against them pulling down their masks, they have a heavy accent and I would rather be sure my kid understood if she was told to stop or to go on something) - lots of kids wear masks either while practicing or inbetween actively being on equipment. Most of the kids in this gym are still being virtual schooled. They’ve had only a few cases overall.

No masks required by staff or athletes at our gym, but everyone must wear one to enter the door (then they can come off if you are staff or athlete once you are inside). Visitors and the staff at the desk interacting with visitors must wear them at all times. We have had no outbreaks & no closures past the national lockdown. Meanwhile, my former gym (owned by a germaphobe before the pandemic) implemented every safety protocol in the book. Masks are worn at all times by everyone who enters, no high fives, no spotting and part-time zoom/part-time live practice when all of the other local gyms had teams back to their regular full time practice schedules. They have had to shut down 4 times since the initial nation-wide lockdown due to outbreaks, so mask mandates don't really make me feel more or less secure or safe.

No masks required by staff or athletes at our gym, but everyone must wear one to enter the door (then they can come off if you are staff or athlete once you are inside). Visitors and the staff at the desk interacting with visitors must wear them at all times. We have had no outbreaks & no closures past the national lockdown. Meanwhile, my former gym (owned by a germaphobe before the pandemic) implemented every safety protocol in the book. Masks are worn at all times by everyone who enters, no high fives, no spotting and part-time zoom/part-time live practice when all of the other local gyms had teams back to their regular full time practice schedules. They have had to shut down 4 times since the initial nation-wide lockdown due to outbreaks, so mask mandates don't really make me feel more or less secure or safe.

Amazing enough, I know many similar stories.

I like that I trust my kids' gym to tell us if there is an outbreak. One practice group had a few practices canceled. I feel like we all have an attitude of trying to keep the gym open -- when my son had to quarantine, my daughter stayed home too, even though she was not under a quarantine order. The gym on the whole has managed to stay open since reopening over the summer.

Our gym has had 2 positive cases of gymnasts. They did not contract covid in the gym. There was no spread to anyone in the gym. We did not close. The coaches got tested. They informed the parents. No testing or quarantine required. As they distance and wear masks

We are in a mask mandate state (over age 10). Coaches wear masks. Most of our kids are under 10, so never wear masks. The older kids wear them going in/out, but not while working out. We’ve had no transmission/outbreaks, but several coaches/kids have gotten it from other sources. My daughter got it from school and infected our family. We stayed out of the gym for the required quarantine period.

All the coaches at my d's gym wear masks, as do all desk staff and the very few parents/spectators. Athletes wear a mask except when on an apparatus. My d has shown me videos of her new skills that show her mask on her chin during the skill. They then pull it up when they pause or move from station to station. Everyone is absolutely fine with this policy. No one wants another 6-month closure.

I find it interesting how there are so many people concerned about what is going on in other gyms, other schools, other households. I was raised to have the serenity accept the things I cannot change (and that don't affect me); to have the courage to change the things I can (and that do affect me); and the wisdom to know the difference -- thank you God.

I find it interesting how there are so many people concerned about what is going on in other gyms, other schools, other households. I was raised to have the serenity accept the things I cannot change (and that don't affect me); to have the courage to change the things I can (and that do affect me); and the wisdom to know the difference -- thank you God.

I think overall, that is good advice. However, if you are attending meets, what is happening in other gyms could affect you and your child. It is good to know what you are walking into so you can make those positive choices. Plus, some decisions can affect the community as a whole.

In this case, without a mask mandate, however, there really isn't much that can be done.

I think overall, that is good advice. However, if you are attending meets, what is happening in other gyms could affect you and your child. It is good to know what you are walking into so you can make those positive choices. Plus, some decisions can affect the community as a whole.

In this case, without a mask mandate, however, there really isn't much that can be done.
I am just surprised that one of the most prolific gyms in the country for producing recruitable athletes doesn't seem to care about basic health and safety. Cases in the gym likely could have been prevented with better masking. If I were a college coach, I'm not sure I'd want to to business with a sloppy gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back