WAG Coaches - good majors for wanting to be a coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Physiology, anatomy, biochemistry. Sports science, physiotherapy.

Teaching is always good too.

Like others have said though, if coaching is her passion she doesn't necessarily need a degree. Depends on finances etc. she can always go back later.

and don't forget biomechanics and physics. :)

My DD is in the "wanna be a gymnastics" phase of her life. She does do some junior coach shadowing at the gym with pre-school classes and loves it.

When we talk about the future, I make it a point to talk about earning potential. She understands enough so far to understand the financial challenges of coaching and her coach has talked to her about what kinds of things she does as a business owner.

So when we talk about college, I stress the importance of knowing how to run a business if she is going to own her own gym. HC stresses the same thing and says she wishes she had taken more business classes. So I'm throwing about Business Admin is a potential major.

Reactions: JBS
Glad to know there are some other majors that would be good options. She is not super great at, or a big fan of math and science. But she does love practical science applications to her sport. I am glad to is motivated to do college gym or getting her excited about college would be a struggle

I'm throwing about Business Admin is a potential major.

That's right...money can't buy happiness...but it definitely reduces stress. Being able to run a business is very important...and high level gymnastics does not mean that you have to lose money. There are business models that will produce income off of high level team gymnastics.

That's right...money can't buy happiness...but it definitely reduces stress. Being able to run a business is very important...and high level gymnastics does not mean that you have to lose money. There are business models that will produce income off of high level team gymnastics.
JBS, could you elaborate on that? High level coaching is definitely something I want to work my way into, so I would love to hear about these business models.

I don't know much but I feel like sports psychology could be helpful in gymnastics! One of my coaches is studying physical education, but my head coach has a degree in teaching math!

actually, if you're going to coach gymnastics, dysfunctional psychology would be a good one. (dunno winking repeatedly :) )

JBS, could you elaborate on that? High level coaching is definitely something I want to work my way into, so I would love to hear about these business models.

@Aero Ask that in the private coaches forum.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back