Coaches Hurt, Too

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

TuesdayPillow

I think I may have been lucky enough to get a little tendinitis in my left wrist. It actually hurts to NOT use it. Dangit, I hate when I'm not at full physical capacity.

I was lightly spotting back tucks today and one kid went STRAIGHT BACK into my hand, bending the wrist back (luckily it was taped, but OW)! I told her if she doesn't start listening to corrections, she'll have a one-handed coach.

(She DID decide to set the next time it was her turn) :)

Anyone here have any ailments they suffer from all the time, from time to time, or that they have fully recovered from?

p.s. Should there be an "old folks" forum just for us? :p

When my shoulders were mussed out, they could severely get ouchy when spotting lots of kips, especially with the bigger gals.

Having to demo anything wasn't particularly fun either last year on the wrists or shoulders.

And of course, lots of spotting tends to mean my back gets more compressed from being in a squat position more. This has more to do with standing and spotting BHS for rec/tumbler classes.

I just had tendinitis in my left wrist a few months ago. Talk about an annoyance! I couldn't hardly turn a door knob! Boy was I aggravated with that! I totally feel your pain, Tuesday!

I used to get it in my shoulder - the pain was almost unbearable. I could not lift my arm and once it got to the point where I could not really use my fingers, simply awful.

I do think we need an "old folks' forum - what would be the age limit ?

I do think we need an "old folks' forum - what would be the age limit ?

How about instead of an age limit you need to meet certain criteria - at least one joint in your body must creak, pop, crack or ache when moved.

Even though I'm in my 30's I have the knees of 70 year old. I have arthritis in both of them - I've had 3 knee surgeries on my right knee and 2 on the left. My knees make all sorts of interesting sounds these days :rolleyes:

Yep I'm in the same boat. From years of coaching I've got two partially torn rotator cufs, one in each sholder, that act up from time to time, I've sprained both ankles, wrist issues, and recently the biggest issue is my back. It just can not hold up anymore. Luckly the Chiro has been helping me a lot with my back recently:) Jeez you would think I'm the gymnast by all that is wrong with me.

Coaching's not easy on the ol body. I'm always looking for drills and equipment setups that minimize my need to spot. I come home from coaching exhausted and need to ice the knees and arm...

It's the reason I don't coach now. With carpal tunnel symndrome and tendonitis in both hands, I am scared that I'll drop someone's child.:eek:

My girls coach has tendonitis and has been kicked in the face a couple of times, fat lips and bloody nose. Not fun at all.

I feel for you, coaches should get paid danger money.:cool:

All I know is that one of dd's coaches is slowly falling apart....
He had his ankle wrapped a few weeks ago and now walks around with a limp. Yesterday he was wearing glasses instead of his usual contacts because of an allergic reation to chalk or dust in his eyes. Poor guy works so much. He coaches everyday from 9am- 9pm. I can tell though his body is paying for it.

Good Luck to all you coaches that work so hard!! It doesn't go unnoticed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow we should put up all of our war stories.

I remember when I first got my jaw knocked out of whack spotting a BHS. I was afraid to spot another one, but I knew I had to, so I just adjusted my angle and hope they listened to the correction.

Then I got whacked again the next day on the other side (I can spot both sides and usually do so I don't overuse one side) and my jaw felt fine again. Hah!

My right shoulder has a rotator cuff problem that comes and goes - that's not from coaching though, it's from a coach doing back handsprings and having her spotter move away from her thinking she didn't notice (total freak-out - it's not like I couldn't have done it by myself).

Let's hear your war stories!

I have so many wrist and ankle problems from coaching. My shoulders ache as well, especially when I spot fulls on floor.

I've had my nose broken so many times that I very rarely let a gymnast swing on a back handspring until they are ready to do it alone.

Knees, back, neck! Ugh- my chiropractor is great though- thank goodness!

Haha yea I don't know what I would do without the chiropractor. I usually get pretty bad pains in my shoulder as well especially after spotting cast handstands for a while. But a bag of ice and a few minutes rest and the pain usually goes away.

These stories sound so painful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( So sorry for everyone! Were would we be without our coaches and parents. :) Good job to all gym coaches and parents! :)

I think I may have been lucky enough to get a little tendinitis in my left wrist. It actually hurts to NOT use it. Dangit, I hate when I'm not at full physical capacity.

I was lightly spotting back tucks today and one kid went STRAIGHT BACK into my hand, bending the wrist back (luckily it was taped, but OW)! I told her if she doesn't start listening to corrections, she'll have a one-handed coach.

(She DID decide to set the next time it was her turn) :)

Anyone here have any ailments they suffer from all the time, from time to time, or that they have fully recovered from?

p.s. Should there be an "old folks" forum just for us? :p

I'm not even all THAT old and I'm Coach A the Perpetually Achy (my kids are rec-preteam, and I am big on spotting and demonstrating).

The knots in my back have knots, currently my BICEPS have knots, and if my shoulder ever stops hurting I'm going to fall over in shock.

But I finally got over the wrist trouble, for a time! Hope yours get better soon.

Considering I'm not only a coach but also a gymnast, I'm surprised that you guys have more severe ouchies then me!

- Wrists
- Fat lips
- Black eyes
- Knots and who knows what else in the back
- Shoulders (they occasionally slide out of the socket while walking)
- Ankles
- Knees

I've popped and cracked so loud in class that sometimes I feel compelled to apolgize. A teacher has come up to me and said "You've only been in gymnastics for 2 years. WHY DO YOU POP LIKE THAT!?"

Last edited:
My son scratched one of his coach's corneas one time. Coach was kneeling for spotting, hand went into face.

I've had tendonitis in the wrist from coaching, though a taped wrist band seemed to help with that.
The bigger issue was shoulder pain with my main spotting side (especially spotting kips!). Turns out my shoulder was half sliding in and out of socket all the time. Just had surgery to tighten that up.
I also got full out punched in the nose one time. I was spotting a cheerleader in a tumbling class who made those stupid cheerleading fists when tumbling. Instead of bring her arms up, she threw them straight to the side- and straight into my nose. It hurt, but not that bad, but it hit that spot where I couldn't stop crying. Someone else had to cover my class as I sat in the coaches office as my eyes just watered and watered.

Oh, and I sprained an ankle stepping backwards off a mat wrong. Those 8" mats are dangerous, I tell you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back