Coaches & Parents experienced with TOPs - Question (s) for you :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

k2bdeutmeyer

Coach
Proud Parent
I coached gymnastics (up to level 4) for over 10yr, but my gym never did TOPs. DD's gym does. I understand the concept, what it's about, what she needs to do, etc. But what I want to know is this:

1. What age did your DD (or does your gym) usually starting training kids for TOPs?

2. If you wanted to bring the child to TOPs testing at 7yr old, what level of proficiency would you expect at what ages? In other words, what progression would you expect out of them in order to be successful at testing?

3. At what point can you pretty much tell if they're going to "make it" (or be successful) in TOPs or not? Or can you?

4. If one is to be successful in TOPs, how many hours a week do they need to be working TOPs skills/strength/flexibility?

DD is only 4yr, but has been selected as a TOPs candidate and is joining the team kids for a once a week (1hr) TOPs practice. They would like to have her ready to test when she's 7yr. This is a new group/practice for us, so obviously we'll let her do it for awhile (and I'd REALLY like to see her be successful with it), but I'm curious to know at what point you can look at their progression (or lack thereof) and say that either A - it's not worth the extra $$ for the extra practice, because it just isn't working for them or B - she needs more time working at it if she's going to be successful with it.

Honestly, I think she'll do just fine with it, and has the ability to be one of the best, but I'm her mom and I'm supposed to think that, right?? :) I'm a big picture person though, and I like to keep myself "in check" by making sure my thoughts are grounded in fact and not in my dream for my DD. So, what are your experiences?

my DD's old gym did TOPs and tested TOPs. Our new gym does the conditioning elements from it, but does not test. My younger DD did TOPs at the old gym from the age of 4-7. She went to one test this summer before we switched gyms. ;)
Our old gym did TOPs 1x/week for 1 hour for 4-5 year olds, 4x/week for 6-7 year olds, and 5x/week for 7 plus year olds. That's just the experience we had.
Our old gym tested everyone who was in the program. They have had a few girls make it to national testing.

My personal opinion after having DD involved in it is that the conditioning parts of it are very beneficial (at least they were to my DD). However, I think you can use those parts without having to test TOPs or really get too crazy over it. Telling your kid they are in TOPs is, in my experience, a real good way to make some gym parents go crazy...getting stars in their eyes and all.

Now..if you are in an elite gym and your DD's goal is to maybe go elite and all of that, AND your kid has lots of natural strength/flexibility...then go for it. I also think it would be super cool to MAKE IT to national testing and all that. But, it is just so rare to make it and of course even more rare to make the teams...I just worry a lot about regular type gyms doing TOPs and parents taking what is going on the wrong way.

Not sure if I really answered your question but just wanted to give my TOPs experience!

I should clarify that our gym does have (and has had) girls that are national qualifiers. One of our team coaches is also the TOPs coordinator for the state. I have also been told that they have stricter requirements than the test actually does before they will take you to testing, because they want to ensure a positive experience for the child.

I should clarify that our gym does have (and has had) girls that are national qualifiers. One of our team coaches is also the TOPs coordinator for the state. I have also been told that they have stricter requirements than the test actually does before they will take you to testing, because they want to ensure a positive experience for the child.

No no no they are definitely stricter at the Ranch. And it only gets worse after they progress from TOPs. Personally I hated it when they changed the cast handstand test by making it easier. There has to be something to set these girls apart from one another and my daughter says Marta and the rest of the national team training staff know how to do it. I am told they don't let you even get by with an eye twitch if you catch my drift. Her first Athlete Development Camp was hard for her, she was so nervous she couldn't even punch out one cast handstand and she has been doing those since she was five years old. I take that back, she did do one. Only, one. She just returned from her second camp last Friday the 26th and I am happy to report that this time she had a blast and her nerves got left at the airport. She did not call me once her entire trip. Thank goodness her coach was thoughtful enough to.

No no no they are definitely stricter at the Ranch. And it only gets worse after they progress from TOPs. Personally I hated it when they changed the cast handstand test by making it easier. There has to be something to set these girls apart from one another and my daughter says Marta and the rest of the national team training staff know how to do it. I am told they don't let you even get by with an eye twitch if you catch my drift. Her first Athlete Development Camp was hard for her, she was so nervous she couldn't even punch out one cast handstand and she has been doing those since she was five years old. I take that back, she did do one. Only, one. She just returned from her second camp last Friday the 26th and I am happy to report that this time she had a blast and her nerves got left at the airport. She did not call me once her entire trip. Thank goodness her coach was thoughtful enough to.

Oh, I don't doubt that for a second. I just meant that DD's gym/coaches expect more than just the mere ability to do the skills/strength/flexibility before they will take a girl to testing. They expect more than bare minimum.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back